Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

It's winter. The dog still has to be walked.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion It's winter. The dog still has to be walked.

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Twixlen 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I busted my ass in the alley last night. I was visiting a friend, and trying to be a nice guy and take out some trash. I had a box of recycling in one hand and a giant pail of dirty diapers in the other. You can imagine what that spill looked like.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    I busted my ass in the alley last night. I was visiting a friend, and trying to be a nice guy and take out some trash. I had a box of recycling in one hand and a giant pail of dirty diapers in the other. You can imagine what that spill looked like.

Oww.

Hope you’re OK.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Oww.

Hope you’re OK.

my pride was frostbitten.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    my pride was frostbitten.

Pride thaws faster than bones knit. Glad it was nothing worse.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Pride thaws faster than bones knit. Glad it was nothing worse.

No kidding! It *hurts* to fall. Since I am now insurance-free, I go through these periods of deep paranoia about randomly hurting myself… by falling on ice/down stairs/whatnot. Hence, the Yaktrax religion – at least for outdoors in this business.

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Several years ago I bought a knee length Land’s End down coat at the thrift store. I may look like I am wearing someone’s comforter, but I’m warm. I think that i paid $20 for it.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    No kidding! It *hurts* to fall. Since I am now insurance-free, I go through these periods of deep paranoia about randomly hurting myself… by falling on ice/down stairs/whatnot. Hence, the Yaktrax religion – at least for outdoors in this business.

One benefit of most winter clothing is padding. Every little bit helps. Also, if tuck your arms in and head down you can reduce chances of injury from a fall. Judo lessons might be a bit much, but at least don’t try to catch yourself but instead roll with it.

James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    My only complaint about them is their relatively short lifespan – I don’t know if it’s the way I walk, or the boots I have, or what, but one season is it. I started keeping a spare pair on hand… had to put a new one on one boot today!

They are still worth it. Genius!

I think the instructions say they aren’t supposed to be used on dry surfaces. When the sidewalk has been cleared I go out of my way to run in the snow alongside to save the yaktrax. I think I saw a pair of more heavy duty ones at outdoor source that might take dry surfaces a bit better.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    Yaktrax – I don’t even understand how someone could walk in a neighborhood without these things. It’s so friggin’ icy.

Thanks so much for pointing these out! My daily walk to the bus stop has me coming close to biting it multiple times now with all the ice on the sidewalks. These look great!

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I own the most impractical shoes and nothing else. I will fall this winter, for sure, at least once. Odds are good it will be with an audience, and at least partly the fault of my dog.

hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We got tired of walking the dog in bad weather. So we closed off the back of our yard with a garage and fenced off the rest of the back yard. It was a long, hard trial getting the height variance. We were originally going for something more modest, but when the City opposed us, we decided to go for broke.

This also makes it convenient when we want to park our dirigible.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

thank god someone finally built that vertical farm project.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

James said:
    I think the instructions say they aren’t supposed to be used on dry surfaces. When the sidewalk has been cleared I go out of my way to run in the snow alongside to save the yaktrax. I think I saw a pair of more heavy duty ones at outdoor source that might take dry surfaces a bit better.

I do the same thing when walking – avoid the concrete whenever possible… and I had the pro version one season, and they lasted no longer. It’s probably some wack way I walk.

I used to only find them online – but Outdoor Source & the Eddie Bauer Outlet seem to have them regularly.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hugh – HILARIOUS. You are hired for my next garage remodel.

I wish just having a fenced in yard was enough for my crazy dog. We’ve always walked, he expects to walk, and if he doesn’t get a walk, he’ll mope around the house or be so annoying I can’t stand it. He also has an aversion to doing his business in his own yard. It’s a whole thing.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Along similar lines, winter tires usually have a softer tread compound. There can be an advantage in getting traction on ice, when the rubber is soft and the ice bites into the rubber, instead of hard rubber rattling around on top of the ice.

Try walking on some ice on foam rubber soles vs. smooth leather-soled shoes.

The tradeoff is a short tread life on dry pavement, and shorter on gravel.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?