Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

Increasing the Federal Gasoline Tax

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Increasing the Federal Gasoline Tax

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Transportation groups want to increase gas tax

By ADAM SNIDER | 10/31/11 10:23 PM EDT

For the first time in two decades, major transportation groups have banded together and made a request that, in other circumstances, would be considered crazy — “Tax us … NOW.”

But the answer from Congress and the White House has been a resounding “No!”

It’s a fact of Washington: Politicians need cover before voting for most anything controversial, especially a tax increase. But even that is not always enough, much to the chagrin of advocates of a large hike in transportation infrastructure funding supported by a gas tax increase.

READ MORE: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67263.html

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I agree the gas tax needs to be raised. However, now is not the time to hit people with a sudden large tax increase….it needs to be done over time with a small percentage increase every year…maybe over 10 years. This would also encourage people to live closer to the $#!& they go to (school, work, grocery)….what a novel idea. It might even encourage a boom in urban development, much like sprawl boosted our economy for the last 70 years or so.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’ve never really read into this issue a whole lot, but I wonder if any proposed tax increase could be earmarked to be used specifically for existing road maintenance rather than new roads?

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

With Gas Tax on Empty U.S. Must Find New Way to Fund Roads: View
    By the Editors Feb 26, 2012 7:00 PM ET

Washington is now arguing over several bad new ways to pay for transportation infrastructure in the U.S. But despite their deficiencies, recent proposals from the White House, the Senate and the House offer a few ideas worth considering as part of a more ambitious funding bill down the road, when a looming election isn’t inducing timidity and self-delusion.

Most glaringly, what all three proposals lack is a realistic or long-term source of funding. The White House hopes to pay for its six-year, $476 billion plan by “ramping down overseas military operations.” The Senate’s two-year, $109 billion bipartisan measure would invoke such exotic revenue sources as raiding the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund, also known as the LUST Trust Fund, and taxing imported Malaysian cars.

READ MORE: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-27/with-gas-tax-on-empty-u-s-must-find-new-way-to-fund-roads-view.html

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Gas Tax Debate Weighs Heavily On Future Of ODOT
    June 15, 2012
    by Karen Kasler
    Statehouse Bureau Chief, Ohio Public Radio and Television

The state’s transportation agency is facing a long road of trouble – a growing need to build and repair infrastructure with a declining revenue source in the gas tax. But there’s plenty of disagreement over whether to hike the tax. Communities around Ohio were stunned earlier this year when ODOT announced a $1.6 billion hole in its construction budget, and that it would have to delay many major projects for years.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/06/15/gas-tax-debate-weighs-heavily-on-future-of-odot/

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

$1 Gas Tax? One Auto Dealer Says, ‘Yes, Please’
    By Coral Davenport
    Updated: August 9, 2012 | 4:18 p.m.

MONROVIA, Calif.—Drive to the southeast edge of Los Angeles and you’ll hit miles of gleaming car lots, lined up beside the smoggy 210 freeway. These represent the heart of the Southern California car market—which auto dealers say is the most competitive in the world. That makes sense: California has more drivers than any other state, and driving is ingrained in the Golden State’s identity. Californians built the country’s first freeway; they invented drag-racing and the drive-in restaurant.

But as much as Californians drive, they also pay dearly for it: California has some of the highest gasoline prices in the nation. This spring, as gasoline prices shot to a national average of $3.90 a gallon, they went over $5 a gallon in Southern California.

So why would a Southern California car dealer want to raise taxes on gasoline?

READ MORE: http://nationaljournal.com/features/restoration-calls/-1-gas-tax-one-auto-dealer-says-yes-please–20120809

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

If Pols Won’t Raise the Gas Tax, How Else Will They Fund Transportation?
    Friday, February 1, 2013
    by Angie Schmitt

This year, we’ve seen a range of new transportation revenue-raising proposals from Massachusetts, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, where governors are all pursuing options other than raising the gas tax. Welcome to the new paradigm in transportation funding, says David Goldberg at Transportation for America:

READ MORE: http://streetsblog.net/2013/02/01/if-pols-wont-raise-the-gas-tax-how-else-will-they-fund-transportation/

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Gasoline prices expected to go up, forecast shows
    By Associated Press business staff
    on February 12, 2013

First it was a tax hike. Now consumers are looking at a higher than expected gasoline bill for 2013. The government on Tuesday boosted its forecast for gasoline prices this year by 11 cents to an average of $3.55 a gallon. That would be the second-highest annual average ever, behind last year’s $3.63 a gallon.

READ MORE: http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/gasoline_prices_expected_to_go.html

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Why a Sales Tax on Gasoline Makes Sense
    By Theodore Brown on 15 February 2013

Progressive policy makers have a creativity problem. It’s not that they’re stuck in an unimaginative funk where new ideas are simply recycled old ones that include some sort of social media strategy. Rather, it’s the theory that every policy suggestion has to be revolutionary or novel, backed up by data that was previously unavailable or unremarkable, and implemented by way of buzzwords and viral marketing. Basics aren’t viable anymore, which is probably why there’s such an issue getting even basic movement on pressing issues.

READ MORE: http://thisbigcity.net/why-a-sales-tax-on-gasoline-makes-sense/

billbix
    Login to Send PM

I think they are going to have to start looking beyond gas. My neighbor just got a Chevy volt and it rides pretty nicely. If the prices drop, I would look into a Nissan Leaf as our second car.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

billbix said:
    I think they are going to have to start looking beyond gas. My neighbor just got a Chevy volt and it rides pretty nicely. If the prices drop, I would look into a Nissan Leaf as our second car.

I bike or walk to work. I drive about 4, 000 miles per year. Mae drives. We just need to find her a job downtown.

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

4k seems like a lot of miles if you aren’t using it to get to work.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well, about 1,200 of my miles are for charity. And there is not a lot if shopping or groceries available in Olde Towne East

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d love it if I could keep my miles driven down to 4k. But then that’s why I have my beat up Jetta diesel. 12 years old, 360,000 miles on the original engine and I still get 40+ miles to the gallon.

Starting to rust through, only half a front bumper, one hubcap, but I love her, I really do. Don’t plan on getting another until she dies or I get to at least 500k.

That said, yes, higher gas taxes. Let drivers pay for their infrastructure just like they scream about any other form of transportation whenever there’s a new proposal for rail, light rail, HSR, etc.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

I am fine with them raising the gas tax, but I agree that the future is probably electric vehicles or high efficiency hybrids. They need to start planning for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?