Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

In Search of a list of Columbus #1s for 2010

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion In Search of a list of Columbus #1s for 2010

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The Columbus Foundation is seeking input on Columbus’ #1s for 2010.

Awards, rankings, and votes that have placed Columbus at the top of National lists – not limited to nonprofit organizations, but including businesses, events, or places.

We have much to be proud of in Columbus, and would hate to overlook any awards as we ‘Celebrate Our Community’. Thank you for helping us to remember and celebrate such #1 awards.

Please post them below if you know of any. Thanks!

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Like….. Middle West Spirits is Columbus’s first micro-distillery & they won a gold medal for their Oyo vodka in the International Review of Spirits competition?

gk
    Login to Send PM

Columbus is home to America’s largest tractor-pull association – the National Tractor Pullers Association.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Food Network voted Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream #1… ;o)

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Bedbugs
    &
    Wife swapping

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Isn’t German Village the nations largest privatly funded historical district?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

man, maybe this should go in pet peeves thread, but the obsession people around here seemingly have with where Columbus falls on someone-er-rather’s Top 20 list is irksome. Who gives a shit if some chump blog in Madison listed us as the #7 most social-media savvy city or some shit? gah. barf. rant over.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

wife swapping? really? nationally?

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

Yeah, there was an article in the paper in June of 2008. We picked up the paper when we were first moving here. Westerville was the wife swapping capital of the nation.

Or maybe it was ‘swinging’ capital. I forget and I’m not about to start googling that at work.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

groundrules wrote >>
    man, maybe this should go in pet peeves thread, but the obsession people around here seemingly have with where Columbus falls on someone-er-rather’s Top 20 list is irksome. Who gives a shit if some chump blog in Madison listed us as the #7 most social-media savvy city or some shit? gah. barf. rant over.

I don’t know if I’d call it an “obsession”, but it’s always nice to be recognized for doing something well, right?

I do try to take most of these lists with a grain of salt though (especially Forbes), as their criteria for creating the lists is usually pretty non-scientific and they’re really just done as a way to draw attention and eyeballs to their publications.

That being said, I’m pretty proud that our Library, Zoo, Science Center and University get consistently ranked as the best in the nation. Aren’t you? Or would that mean we’re both obsessed?

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Number 1 sized city without passenger rail.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Core_Models wrote >>
    Number 1 sized city without passenger rail.

Number 1 city with wahhhambulences.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

World Capital of Somali Filmmaking.

Walker wrote >>
    I’m pretty proud that our Library, Zoo, Science Center and University get consistently ranked as the best in the nation.

I guess you already know about those! :)

I compiled a list like this a while back, but it’s several years old now. We were Forbes Magazines’ #1 Up and Coming Technology City in 2008.

We’re also the #1 Philosophy Meetup city, as in having been the first.

And of course, Indie Arts Capital etc., etc.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

Yeah, there was an article in the paper in June of 2008. We picked up the paper when we were first moving here. Westerville was the wife swapping capital of the nation.
    Or maybe it was ‘swinging’ capital. I forget and I’m not about to start googling that at work.

“But, but, but… it’s research!”

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

That being said, I’m pretty proud that our Library, Zoo, Science Center and University get consistently ranked as the best in the nation. Aren’t you? Or would that mean we’re both obsessed?

I’m proud of our zoo and library in their own right. I get no pride out of knowing that they made a list somewhere. The value of those rankings i guess is both dependent on the variable being ranked (tech city? so what. gets us nothing) and more importantly my level of respect for the ranker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?