Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

I got a traffic ticket, any ideas on how to beat it?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion I got a traffic ticket, any ideas on how to beat it?

This topic contains 78 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  StowCbusCleveland 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you are looking for an attorney. I would strongly recommend someone who practices in that court on a regular basis. I know from experience that a lot of the smaller courts are less than congenial with out of town lawyers, especially ones who have never appeared before that judge before.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

If that officer can’t show documented proof that he did not slow down he has no leg to stand on

what country is this?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

misskitty wrote >>
    If that officer can’t show documented proof that he did not slow down he has no leg to stand on other than his word. But that word will not be as strong when this finally does make it to trial. Right now as it stands he can’t prove anything I would say his chance of beating this is 80/20 in his favor.

Ain’t no lawyer here, but I think your assumptions about burden of proof are kind of exaggerated. almost all traffic stops are cops word against yours, and you don’t win too many of those. I don’t think that everyone who’s ever gotten tagged for reckless op or rolling a stop sign was faced with insurmountable evidence of their misdeeds. If cop said it happened, more than likely, you’re payin’.

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have to disagree I think he has a good chance at coming out ahead.He did just what the law states there should not have been a ticket in the first place.

He’s got nothing to lose I would fight it too.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

misskitty wrote >>
    I have to disagree I think he has a good chance at coming out ahead.He did just what the law states there should not have been a ticket in the first place.
    He’s got nothing to lose I would fight it too.

So far, only one person in this thread has been right about what would happen. I’d pay more attention to that person.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

What are you worried about here?

1) The principle. You were right and you should not get a ticket damnit. Consequences be damned
    2) Not having it go against your driving record
    3) Paying the minimal amount on the ticket
    4) the least inconvenience

Because all three would have different strategies.

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you’re gonna contest it you’ll have to remain respectful and calm, good eye contact, forthright (but not brassy) attitude, proper attire, all that.

The trooper won’t admit he wrongly ticketed you and you shouldn’t try to “prove” he did. Instead you’ll have to politely and respectfully craft a scenario where he can save face. In a perfect world, traffic in the passing lane would have allowed motorists like you to change lanes safely. But they didn’t let you change lanes safely so you slowed down as the law requires.

If you were going so slowly that you pulled over promptly with a wave of his hand, the evidence seems to support that you were in compliance with the ORC.

Research crash data in similar instances and be prepared to explain that you would never, as a motorist, place a law enforcement officer in needless danger or fear. If asked, explain that you weren’t sure WHY you were waved over (maybe the trooper needed help?!) because clearly you were attempting to comply with the law. You were surprised when the trooper suggested you could have changed lanes safely. Perhaps with everything going on and the trooper’s poor sight lines from the shoulder of the road, he wasn’t able to see all the traffic as he would have had he been in his cruiser. You have a keen understanding of the dangers faced by our law enforcement officers, especially on a busy interstate yada yada.

Ground Rules is right. If it comes down to simply your word against his, he wins every time. But if you can present an alternate defense without accusing the trooper of improper ticketing, the judge may buy it.

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

roy wrote >>
    The trooper won’t admit he wrongly ticketed you and you shouldn’t try to “prove” he did. Instead you’ll have to politely and respectfully craft a scenario where he can save face.

Best advice yet.. aside from getting a lawyer :-)

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie wrote >>
    So far, only one person in this thread has been right about what would happen. I’d pay more attention to that person.

Kinda what I’m thinkin’.

Patch
    Patch
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

LBOWACC wrote >>

DCist wrote >>
    Lets be serious people, if you try to fight a traffic ticket there is a 99% chance you’ll loose. Just pay the stupid ticket and move on.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Everytime i go to court for a ticket, the ticket is reduced, and when court costs are added it still comes out maybe 20-30 less than the original ticket. Those are the times I did get it dismissed completely which I have gotten twice in my life that I can think of. Maybe YOU cant beat tickets, but anyone with a mouth usually will pay less than the face value of the ticket.

Are you counting the time off work to sit in court for a few hours? If it’s Franklin County, the parking costs. At 20-30 bucks less, you probably aren’t shaving much off the original ticket cost when you factor in the extras of fighting it.

Well, you are ignoring the fact that the ticket would not be on his/her driving record, and there wouldn’t be any points added.

Along with the fact that he did not thing wrong.

That’s why you fight a ticket.

lifeontwowheels
    Login to Send PM

Patch wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

LBOWACC wrote >>

DCist wrote >>
    Lets be serious people, if you try to fight a traffic ticket there is a 99% chance you’ll loose. Just pay the stupid ticket and move on.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Everytime i go to court for a ticket, the ticket is reduced, and when court costs are added it still comes out maybe 20-30 less than the original ticket. Those are the times I did get it dismissed completely which I have gotten twice in my life that I can think of. Maybe YOU cant beat tickets, but anyone with a mouth usually will pay less than the face value of the ticket.

Are you counting the time off work to sit in court for a few hours? If it’s Franklin County, the parking costs. At 20-30 bucks less, you probably aren’t shaving much off the original ticket cost when you factor in the extras of fighting it.

Well, you are ignoring the fact that the ticket would not be on his/her driving record, and there wouldn’t be any points added.
    Along with the fact that he did not thing wrong.
    That’s why you fight a ticket.

In the OP’s case, I’d say fight it.

I don’t know the specifics of LBWOACC’s tickets, but I think it’s far to say most of the time you get a ticket you got your hand caught in the cookie jar.

Fair points on the traffic record. Provided it does come down. But you still have to way in the time, loss of income, productivity etc. in how much you actually gain from fighting a ticket vs. dealing with the rate hike and just driving legally.

StowCbusCleveland
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>
    What are you worried about here?
    1) The principle. You were right and you should not get a ticket damnit. Consequences be damned
    2) Not having it go against your driving record
    3) Paying the minimal amount on the ticket
    4) the least inconvenience
    Because all three would have different strategies.

1, then 2, then 3.

LBOWACC
    Login to Send PM

LOTW, most peoples employers do give them personal time off, so loss of income is nothing. And most of the time, the fine given plus court costs is less than the total ticket.

lifeontwowheels
    Login to Send PM

LBOWACC wrote >>
    LOTW, most peoples employers do give them personal time off, so loss of income is nothing. And most of the time, the fine given plus court costs is less than the total ticket.

If you have paid personal/vacation time, which some don’t. Even if you do, that’s time off you have to earn back which could be used towards something worthwhile.

And by your own statement. $20-30 less. Yeah, if I had vacation/personal time I would save it for something worth it and just pay the ticket. Or hey, novel idea, try to follow the law.

StowCbusCleveland
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Or hey, novel idea, try to follow the law.

Which, hey, ya know, I did.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?