Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Hubbard Park Place - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Hubbard Park Place – News & Updates

This topic contains 109 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I ran across the following in the Leafy Dale apartment article in Business First Columbus….

“Investor Michael Schiff is a partner in what’s likely to be a residential projecet dubbed Hubbard Park Place.

“(It) is kind of speculative.” Wood said. “We really don’t have a plan at this point”

The combined surface parking of more than a 1 acre cannont be built on immediatly, however, because of a deed restriction. It bars development for three years or until the opening of a planned public parking garage off East Hubbard Avevenue as part of an apartment project proposed for the former Ibiza condo site.”

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/04/13/4th-time-around-brings-apartment-plan.html

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Hmmm….odd that it would be announced so early. Seems tricksy.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

It doesn’t sound like an announcement. Just a small mention in passing.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Very interesting article, not only does it discuss Hubbard Park Place, it goes on to cover the development of the lot behind La Fogota into office/housing and the renovation of apartments above two fish into high-end condo grade units.

Time frame is 3-5 years though …

Short North real estate deal to lead to more apartments
    Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, September 21, 2012

Real estate investor Michael Schiff and developer Mark Wood plan to build up to 250 housing units in the Short North as part of a $50 million investment in the Columbus neighborhood.

Columbus Business First has learned the two are expanding earlier plans for Short North development with a deal to acquire White Cross Properties LLC, a real estate company that owns a 48,800-square-foot building at 717-721 N. High St., which is anchored by the Two Fish Bistro; a building at 790 N. High St., anchored by the La Fogata Grill restaurant; and a 0.3-acre tract behind the La Fogata.

That deal builds on their plans for a residential and commercial project at West Hubbard Avenue and Park Street, tentatively dubbed Hubbard Park Place

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/09/21/deal-will-put-more-housing-in-short.html

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cool! Maybe this will also force something to happen to the surface parking lot at the southeast corner of E. Hubbard & High.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:
    Cool! Maybe this will also force something to happen to the surface parking lot at the southeast corner of E. Hubbard & High.

Are you referring to parking lot for Haiku?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So, 250 apts!? That’s a pretty substantial number. I’m assuming that includes the Hubbard, which leaves what, 187 apts to be announced? The Two Fish building is pretty big but if they are converting those into “condo grade”, then I cannot imagine they would be too small. As for the lot behind La Fogata, it would include offices, which would cut down on the number of apts. I wander where the rest of the apts will go. Considering the Hubbard is 63 apts, I think, then there would have to be a couple of pretty big apt announcements coming soon. The article may mention some of these things. I’m not able to read it.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    So, 250 apts!? That’s a pretty substantial number. I’m assuming that includes the Hubbard, which leaves what, 187 apts to be announced? The Two Fish building is pretty big but if they are converting those into “condo grade”, then I cannot imagine they would be too small. As for the lot behind La Fogata, it would include offices, which would cut down on the number of apts. I wander where the rest of the apts will go. Considering the Hubbard is 63 apts, I think, then there would have to be a couple of pretty big apt announcements coming soon. The article may mention some of these things. I’m not able to read it.

Actually, no I don’t think it is suppose to include the The Hubbard (former Ibiza).

From the article this the 250 units are coming from:
    *717-721 High St (above Two Fish) going from 37 to 34 units after renovation
    *790 High St (La Fogota) +.3 acres behind
    *The surface lot at Park and Hubbard behind Hubbard Grill (1 acre).

“Schiff and Wood expect to develop 200 to 250 residential units between the Hubbard Park project and the White Cross properties over the next three to five year”

FYI, White Cross refers to owners that are selling 717-720 and 790 High St

So between Hubbard Park Place and La Fogota a max of 216 residences could be built. These could be fairly large structures, assuming zoning allows it.

And again, I doubt we will get any details soon, these are projected happen in 3-5 years.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

futureman said:
    Are you referring to parking lot for Haiku?

Yes, that’s the lot. Is it part of the deal?

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Here’s a couple more quotes from the full article, it’s really worth checking out if you can get on with your CML card or OSU login or whatever,

“Work on reconfiguring 37 apartments above Two Fish Bistro into 34 units is expected to begin in mid-2013 after leases have expired. Wood called the apartments “dysfunctional” with poor layouts.”

“Wood expects to present plans for Hubbard Park Place to the Victorian Village Commission zoning panel by November or December. He declined to reveal specifics about the acre-plus residential project until it is formally unveiled.”

“The pair also hopes to redevelop the site behind La Fogata, next to Italian Village Park, for housing and perhaps offices. Details likely will come next year.”

“‘We view the Short North as the best real estate in Ohio,” Schiff said, “and one of the best in the Midwest.’”

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wait, so they have not even finalized the plans for Hubbard Park Place yet with the commission? And here I thought this was supposed to begin construction this fall. What the hell is going on?

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@Jpizzow

“Hubbard Park Place” (Red) is a new, to-be-announced development on the lot at Hubbard & Park Sts. I was actually surprised to read that it would be going to the commission so soon, when back in April they had said there were no immediate plans for the site. It should be exciting when we get the details and some idea of what the project will be.

“The Hubbard” (Yellow) is the mixed-use project being developed by Wagenbrenner on the site of the former Ibiza project, at Hubbard & High Sts. It has been presented and re-presented to the IVC all year and should be moving dirt any day now…

dru
    dru
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

^eastern portion of the yellow zone above includes about 6-8 houses on Hubbard and Prescott that will remain.

as for this:
    “The pair also hopes to redevelop the site behind La Fogata, next to Italian Village Park, for housing and perhaps offices. Details likely will come next year.”

the lot shows fairly clearly just west of the park (circular walkway) and bordered by Pearl Alley.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wow this is pretty cool! Looks like 4 of the 5 retail spaces on the ground floor at Hubbard Apartments have already been leased. Any idea what will be going in?

http://830northhigh.com/Leasing_Plan.htm

Likes Old Houses
    Likes Old Houses
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I ran across this from the Italian Village Commission in November. 12 units doesn’t chip away much at the 250 from above. These must be really big units at 3 per floor!

795 North High Street (Rear) & 21 West Hubbard Avenue
    Urban Order Architecture (Applicant) Wood Companies (Owner)
    Conceptual Review Remove portion of the rear of existing building and construct a new five-story residential structure. The new structure would include parking for thirteen (13) cars on the ground floor with twelve (12) residential units on floors 2-5.
    NO ACTION TAKEN
    Commissioner Comments The Commission recommended that the new building design refer to the existing historic building for design influences. The design needs to ‘respond’ to the existing building. The existing chimney is a distinctive part of the building and should be maintained. The vernacular buildings within the district tell the story of the neighborhood’s development over time. The existing building is not just a pedestal to construct a development on top. Some Commissioners voiced concerns that the proposed height would overwhelm the iconic historic building. The Commission recommended that revised designs keep or step back from the historic rear wall and chimney, and that a proposal could be developed that maintained the exterior elements of the historic building. Future designs should be accompanied by High Street perspective drawings and a full siteplan to better understand the proposal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?