Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

How to - Coat Hanger TV Antenna

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat How to – Coat Hanger TV Antenna

This topic contains 46 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by GW_Justice GW_Justice 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Time to get ready for the digital armageddon. I just added a converter to the upstairs TV, and I needed an antenna. I used a rabbit ear antenna for the another set, and got OK reception, but it faded out sometimes. Instead of paying for an expensive booster antenna I searched the net and found these instructions for building your own. The antenna I found and built gave a much improved signal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

This is my version of the antenna, almost the same but with some refinements.

antenna.jpg

The instructions on the Tuber are OK but you will have problems if you don’t modify some parts.

The board will split if you try to use the drywall screws shown in the vid, for sure if you use pine. I suggest using bolts and nuts, about ¾ inch longer than thickness of the board. I used a hardwood board and self-tapping machine screws, but just because I had them on hand. Bolts and nuts are better.

The vid showed the guy using long screws, that would probably end up with the board screwed down to the floor. Don’t do this.

I used a bit of insulated 12 gage wire for the parts that connect the bow-ties. It just seemed like it would be simpler to make it bend into place. It also gives me insulation for the parts where the wires cross and they are not supposed to touch.

I also put a dab of anti-corrosion grease at all the connection points. Just a refinement to make it work longer, not vital.

I was able to build this antenna with parts I had in the house, so it cost me nothing more than a couple of hours construction time. If you have basic hacker skills this is a good winter day project.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Excellent suggestion!

Frankly, I’ve found just ONE pair of those “bow ties” works really well for DTV (which is almost all in the UHF now in columbus). You can also fold the ends of the bowties together and do a Folded Diapole. “The Shack” sells a nice one for $3. Did you just happen to have that matching transformer lying around? I had to buy one for $5, ’cause I only had a broken one in the house.

But, yeah. I can vouch for this design. With some modification you can make it look like ART or something and in C-bus you will be able to pick up 11 channels of digital crystal clear TV.

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yea, I did have a matching transformer laying around, I have boxes of this sort of junk (maybe too much).

A single bow tie is good for the near transmitters (I think 4, 6, 10 have their digital transmitters on the same towers as the standard), but you need something better to get OSU, which I think is north of Polaris, and 53, by Circleville.

There are also plans on the net to add a back reflector (just a flat metal thing) to this antenna and get more focused and longer reception. I think it is possible to get Dayton DTV from Col. But if you do that, you would then have to fiddle with changing the direction of the antenna for different channels.

LauraA
    Login to Send PM

i have very bad tv reception, though i rarely watch tv. thanks for the how to. i might just try it:)

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

you can also get one or two of the vouchers there giving away towards little converter boxes. You can even use on line retailers some have free shipping also.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GW_Justice wrote >>
    Yea, I did have a matching transformer laying around, I have boxes of this sort of junk (maybe too much).
    A single bow tie is good for the near transmitters (I think 4, 6, 10 have their digital transmitters on the same towers as the standard), but you need something better to get OSU, which I think is north of Polaris, and 53, by Circleville.

I dunno. I get WOSU and WHO53 just fine (as well as 4,6,10,28,51…). But I have the bowtie up pretty high in a second floor room, so that might make all the difference. On the first floor With the single bowtie it gets periodic signal dropouts on 53. I’m using a cheap-ass converter box up there, not even sure of the brand.

That multi-bowtie array really IS a very cool design. Thanks for sharing it.

Kitty: this is an antenna that is used to feed the signal into the converter box. You will still need one of those (in february).

-M

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

oh I see hmm well that sucks I didn’t realize you still need a antenna for it. Thanks for letting me know I almost pitched my rabbit ears

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think misskitty’s not knowing about the need for an antenna when you switch to digital with a converter is common. Many of the broadcast TV users have no knowledge of the technical details of using a TV beyond pulling the TV out of the box and following the quick setup instructions. Adding a converter box is a step up in complexity than many can’t make.

I read that there is a bill in Congress to delay the conversion to all digital TV, pushing it back to May. I’m guessing this will happen.

As the the real solution to getting all of the low-tech knowledge people set up with converters – maybe the whole broadcast TV industry will need to set up a service of free tech support that will go into users homes and just do the work. If the industry will benefit from the changeover, they should pay to help the last 10% make the change.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

coupons are all used up, there’s a waiting list for people to get some coupons when other people’s coupons expire.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Well, that’s dumb! I thought getting the converter would work sort of like a cable box does, eliminating the need for antennas. Lame!

sixby9is42
    sixby9is42
    Login to Send PM

I’m surprised at how many people don’t know that converter boxes need to be plugged into an antenna. I guess there’s no way to find out what people know until you truly test them.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Well, that’s dumb! I thought getting the converter would work sort of like a cable box does, eliminating the need for antennas. Lame!

the converter box does in a way act like the cable box, it interprets a way for the tv to read the signal. for converter boxes, the signal is brought in through an antenna, for a cable box the signal is brought in through the cable line.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

the signal has to come in SOMEWHERE. Anything that recieves any kind of radio signal has to have an antenna.
    “Cable TV” is the same kind of radio signal, it just runs the antenna feedline all the way back to the station by way of a big signal repeater/agregator called a “cable company”.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Oh I gotcha. Cable box = cable company manages the antenna. Converter box = individual manages the antenna.

Why are people surprised no one knows this? Who really thinks about this crap? I’ll be honest though, until I met Jim I didn’t know there were actually people that existed without cable boxes :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?