Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

How to change a speed limit?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How to change a speed limit?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  batmanwest 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

batmanwest
    Login to Send PM

Hello all, for the past few months I have been living over on Hudson (between 4th and summit) and forgot how loud traffic going at 35-50 can be…

Just wondering if anyone had any advise on how to go about to “try” and get the speed limit marked down to 25 or 30. What steps need to be taken. I know its a super long shot, but why not try…right?

any advise would be greatly appreciated..

sixby9is42
    sixby9is42
    Login to Send PM

batmanwest wrote >>
    Hello all, for the past few months I have been living over on Hudson (between 4th and summit) and forgot how loud traffic going at 35-50 can be…
    Just wondering if anyone had any advise on how to go about to “try” and get the speed limit marked down to 25 or 30. What steps need to be taken. I know its a super long shot, but why not try…right?
    any advise would be greatly appreciated..

I would start with ODOT: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Contacts/Pages/default.aspx

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I think the speed limit is 35 through there.

First thing to do is call 614-645-3111 and inquire there. You’ll probably have an area liason w/ the police department that you’ll need to contact. He/she can possibly step up some patrol in that area to cut down on the speeders.

As for lowing speed limit, I’m not sure that noise is an option but it couldn’t hurt to try. You’ll probably need to request that a traffic study be done.

On a related note, when I insulated my house and replaced single pane windows w/ double pane windows, the noise level of traffic and outside went WAY down. Could help for you too.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I doubt they would change the speed limit to anything lower than 35mph due to that part of Hudson being designated as route 23 heading towards Indianola.

HeySquare
    HeySquare
    Login to Send PM

I suggest calling the 311 hotline, and asking to see if you can get some speed limit enforcement. People do blow through that area very fast.

Even storm windows help to cut down on street noise. Make sure that your house or apartment has storm windows, and that they have been shut for the winter. Should help a lot

johnwirtz
    Login to Send PM

ODOT, and probably not the City of Columbus either, will probably not lower speed limits unless you can show that most (>85%) cars are already going that speed. The only way then to lower the speed limit is to lower the speed, which will probably require a redesign of the roadway.

Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So you moved between two major road arteries and didn’t think about the noise. Now you want the rest of the city to accommodate you?

For crying out loud! Own up. Fix your windows.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Roland wrote >>
    So you moved between two major road arteries and didn’t think about the noise. Now you want the rest of the city to accommodate you?
    For crying out loud! Own up. Fix your windows.

agreed. As I’ve said before, I lived on 18th and Summit for years. I moved to the area and stayed there for years BECAUSE of the easy access to the roads in that area. the “problems” to you are “positives” to me. I still live very close to Summit/4th because of how useful they are (and I found an affordable house nearby).
    Plus, I never had any problem with “noise” unless a rig was J-braking down Summit. I had your normal couple decades old windows and storm windows as well. but even with the windows open it was never noisy for me. I guess what is noisy is a matter of opinion.

I think the most the city will do is put up that speed radar tailer. you can request it from CPD, and if they get enough request from citizens in the area they might put it out there for a bit.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz wrote >> The only way then to lower the speed limit is to lower the speed, which will probably require a redesign of the roadway.

Roads are designed for a max speed. Slowing down traffic wouldn’t cause an accident in its present condition. … “Oh no…we’re going too slow…we’re going to crash!” :)

Another thing that I just thought of is in Harrison West and/or Victorian Village they have “Temporary Speed Limit Reduction” signs in place that (seem to) make the limit 25MPH. I remember an article a couple years ago and I think that it said that they were put up as a test to see how traffic would respond, but it technically didn’t alter the speed limit and wasn’t enforceable. I believe it was doe to appease residents. They’ve been there for many years now.

<

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lakee911 wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >> The only way then to lower the speed limit is to lower the speed, which will probably require a redesign of the roadway.

Roads are designed for a max speed. Slowing down traffic wouldn’t cause an accident in its present condition.

I don’t think you understood Mr. Wirtz’s post. Try again.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It was enforcable, I got a ticket due to the “temporary” 25mph on Neil ave.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lakee911 wrote >>
    As for lowing speed limit, I’m not sure that noise is an option but it couldn’t hurt to try. You’ll probably need to request that a traffic study be done.

I also agree. i saw a study once that the noise from traffic wasn’t from the engines and exhaust tones as much as it was coming from the tires on the asphalt. Different street materials can make the tires softer or louder for a given speed. According to this, it isn’t the speed of traffic that affects noise, it is the material that the road is made of that affects noise volume with traffic.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

By the way, can cops cut in on your radio now? I was going through that “temporary” zone a few weeks ago and swear my radio cut out and “slow down…..” came on, then I looked over and there was an officer.

HeySquare
    HeySquare
    Login to Send PM

I could be mistaken but I think the 25 mph speed limit in Victorian Village/Harrison West was part of an ongoing issue dealing with the effects of traffic from the new 670 off ramp. So I don’t think it is a good example to use; it is a completely different situation.

batmanwest
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input.
    As far as noise inside, its not an issue (until we open the window) as we have new windows all throughout the house. My main gripe is every time i want to be outside in the back yard, or balcony.

As for the sound coming from the tires, this is partially true in my case. But what is the biggest problem, I feel, is people just getting off the highway, and still in that highway mentality, and while i am not a radar gun, i would have to judge some of the cars going by in the 45mph plus range.

As for “owning up” to moving between two major road arteries, yes, I did realize where i was moving before hand. I have spent a lot of time in this area before, and this isn’t all about the noise for me. My girlfriend and I, along with countless other people i know ride on Hudson to get to other “arteries”. Also, if you have ever spent any time walking to the store, or bar, or what have you around that area, walking on Hudson is a death trap…sooner or later there will be some asshole that hits me or someone i know, or some random, as i have already watched at least 10 cars hop the side walk at full speed.

I want to make the point that i am not trying to get the city to accommodate to me..but rather the city to accommodate to alternate modes of transportation, and its neighborhoods. Its apparent that the entirety of 5th ave. has had some kind of attempt to calm traffic, wither it worked or not, as well as a few more roads.

But its cool, I will continue to keep at it, with the help of all my neighbors, and hell, what might work best is just to “acquire” some 25 speed limit signs and some zip ties.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?