Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Hoster Gold Top Beer Returns

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hoster Gold Top Beer Returns

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Beer: Hoster set to bottle namesake lager

Thursday, May 5, 2011

By John Ross

Hoster Gold Top to go? Coming right up. The city’s most famous lager will return in six-packs before the Fourth of July, as the reenergized L. Hoster Brewing Company boosts production and looks to expand its brand.

In addition to releasing Gold Top in bottles, co-owners Daniel Meyers and Victor Ecimovich said they plan to increase the beer’s availability on draft and brew other selections under the Hoster name later this year.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/live/content/features/stories/2011/05/05/beer-hoster-set-to-bottle-namesake-lager.html?sid=108

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Victor is planning to bring Gold Top and another one of the beers in his repertoire to Afternoon with the Brewers, June 12th @ Barley’s Alehouse #1

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Congratulations to Daniel and Victor for their efforts to revive an old Columbus powerhouse. Prohibition, its roots in Worthington and Westerville, decimated the local breweries at the time, though the Hoster name has resurfaced over the years. I see a lot of old Hoster bottles on eBay from the “glory days” of old brewing.

Hoster Brewery 1907

Because of the efforts of guys like Daniel and Victor, and brewmasters like Scott and Angelo (Barley’s) and Patrick (Neil House), etc., I feel the glory days are alive and well in Columbus brewing, with so many delicious options within our reach.

NewWoldB
    Login to Send PM

Check out this vintage Hoster’s bottle made into a bar top lamp

http://www.etsy.com/listing/89343292/pre-prohibition-bottle-lamp-columbus

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Shaping Columbus: Louis Hoster, Brewery District pioneer
    Premium content from Business First by Craig Lovelace
    Date: Friday, May 18, 2012

It’s worth wondering what the Brewery District would look like were it not for Prohibition and World War I. Each event played a major role in killing the breweries owned by Germans whose businesses dotted the near south side and left a legacy that still resonates. Would the district have evolved into an area offices and entertainment venues or would beer still be a mainstay of commercial activity?

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/05/18/shaping-columbus-louis-hoster.html?page=all

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This was a great local brewing article that cited a reference book in our esteemed library system: Lager and Liberty: German brewers of nineteenth century Columbus by Donald M. Schlegel. I’ll look forward to spending a few warm Summer days reading it in the cool main library.

Intentional or not, the article fails to mention where World of Beer, a bar that stocks 50 beers on tap, and 500 in the bottle, established themselves in the Brewery District. They are, of course, in the Worly Building, a building that once was a stable for the cherished Hoster delivery horses.

Also significant to this building is the variety of beer. While local Hoster struggled against breweries like Pabst and Schlitz, in WOB beers from all over the US and around the World, sit next to beers from Columbus, like CBC and Four String, beers that are basking in the limelight. Local beers are getting a warm reception there from their clientele, and more of their taps are being dedicated to local and regional beers. It’s kind of like Hoster is living on via the new generation of breweries.

turbo ninja
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t live in Columbus right now but some friends from Bexley will be joining us in NC for Thanksgiving and they’ve offered to buy the booze for this year’s feast (we’re buying the local seafood). Where can a body find Gold Top, either in growlers or in bottles? I was going to request Great Lakes Christmas Ale but that stuff is all over the place down here at the moment.

JazzFestAllNite
    JazzFestAllNite
    Login to Send PM

I am not positive but I think you may be able to get a sixth barrel keg at Gentile’s.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Studio 35 has it and they fill growlers. Villa Nova is their best account according to Victor, but I don’t know if they fill growlers. I have a text headed Victor’s way.

Digital Dave
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Schmidts has it on tap, not sure if they do growlers tho.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?