Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Highball Halloween 2011 - Friday, October 28th

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Highball Halloween 2011 – Friday, October 28th

This topic contains 48 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The 4th annual HighBall Halloween is a celebration of the fabulous side of Halloween… the art of design and the masquerade complete with a dazzling 60-foot runway built outdoors under the iconic Short North arches. Competitions spotlight the creative talents of both professionals and amateurs alike. Finalists strut their stuff on stage before 20,000 cheering revelers. You won’t want to miss out on Columbus’ premier Halloween extravaganza!

Price: General admission – $5 at the gate VIP package – $65 advance purchase includes parking, private bar, backstage pass, preferred runway/stage seating

Phone: (513) 289-8300

Age Suitability: All Ages

More: http://www.highballhalloween.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=194613587268404

Diesha

Website is now live! http://www.highballhalloween.com

NEW Public Costume Categories & NEW entertainment

I’m frustrated by the lack of information on this website. Like, will the same section of street be closed? Will any streets be closed? It says attendees can park at meters on High St. from Nationwide Blvd to 6th Avenue, which…um… probably not, if that’s where the fenced in part of the festival is, like last time. Also – what’s the theme? You’d think it’d be featured pretty prominently, but, I can’t tell. Maybe B-Movies? That was the only possibly thematic category in the Amateur Costume Contest list… hard to tell. I’ll be there, though! And the BF and I will go to the store and stock up like a hurricane is coming, since we won’t be able to move our cars all day. Woohoo!

JohnAngelo

Hi ohiogirlie74 – Glad to hear you are already planning for HighBall! Apologies for the fragmented roll-out of information. We have been giving the website a MAJOR overhaul and populating it with many, many images and details. Just launched a couple days ago. Many more details coming… particularly on the points you mentioned AND the schedule.

Our shift from Saturday to Friday has impacted the location of the event and we have been working with all the city-related partners (police, parks, transportation, etc…) to finalize. This year, the event will be centered at Fifth and High (vs Third and High last year or Fourth and High the year before). Actual street closures and related timings will be announced in 1-2 weeks, hence only the reference to Fifth and High on the website. The farthest we will go in any direction from the epicenter, however, will be one city block. Also, very different from the last couple of years, we do not plan to close High St until at least 6:00PM. We will post those details as they finalize.

The overall theme this year is “TRANSFORMATIONS” It will become more apparent on the website as we add more images and captions. There are many new things in the works, for starters:
    • Cinematic Makeup Transformation with Columbus’ very own Tommy Pietch,
    • Costumes that Transform through the incorporation of “glow” components (EL Wire, LED, UV-reactive paint, lasers, chemical glo, rope lights, etc…),
    • Partnerships with area theatrical groups,
    • A Real-time UV-Mural Transformation,
    • Giant Puppets, and
    • We’re working on a couple guest celebrities

All of this, of course, on top of the HighBall signatures: Dogtober, the Costume Couture Showdown, the HighBall General Public Costume Contest, and the DJ club scene. It’s shaping up to be the most amazing HighBall yet. Stay tuned for more info, and thanks again!

John
    HighBall Coordinator

p.s. – we’re looking for a few more committee volunteers if you happen to know any HighBall enthusiasts!!

Coreroc

From the website:

Here’s what we know… so far!

Nina West returns as emcee of the main stage
    Tommy Pietch transforms 3 BalletMet dancers into the “Universal Monsters”
    Coreroc creates a real-time ultraviolet mural experience
    Giant Puppets join the festivities
    DJ Pons cranks out club music
    An incredible 8-foot tarantula makes a grand appearance!
    Scores of costumers compete for thousands in cash and prizes
    Stage performances from CATCO, Short North Stage, Olympic Theatre and Imagine Productions
    “Amazing Giants” stiltwalkers take to the streets!
    Dominique Reighard (America’s Next Top Model) makes an appearance as celebrity judge

Coreroc

New info is getting posted leading up to the event with sneek peeks and interviews with artists and designers at the Highball blogspot. Drop by and see what your in store for.

http://highballcbus.blogspot.com/

HighBallHalloween
    Participant

Hey CU!

HighBall needs more volunteers to staff the gates for the late shifts!

Highball Halloween depends on the help of wonderful volunteers to make the event a success.
    We are appreciative of the many who have already donated their time but we need more. We have an
    extreme shortage of volunteers for the late night shift. Please see the information below:

Who: 46 more volunteers
    What: Cashiers or Gate Keepers
    When: Friday, October 28, 2011, 10pm-1am
    Where: Highball Halloween, all entrances
    Perks: Free entrance, Free reserved parking, $6 in beverage tickets,
    Invite to the catered Volunteer Appreciation Party on Nov 10
    OR [email protected], Subject Line: Highball Volunteer

This year’s event features the largest stage yet, new concepts, a reconfigured location, stilt
    performers, costume contests, a dog parade, giant puppets, live art and music, make-up demos, and
    more lights, transformations, and fantastic elements. Also see local celebrity Nina West, a recent
    America’s Next Top Model contestant and a recent Project Runway contestant.
    Please join us in creating the talk of the town!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

for the life of me I simply can’t think of a costume idea. Sadly, I fear I shall be dressed as my evil twin.

I would ask people to post suggestions, but I’m terrified of what those suggestions would end up being, given the fevered imaginations of CUers.

Rockmastermike said:
    for the life of me I simply can’t think of a costume idea. Sadly, I fear I shall be dressed as my evil twin.

I would ask people to post suggestions, but I’m terrified of what those suggestions would end up being, given the fevered imaginations of CUers.

Monkey (or any other wild animal) costume with an “Occupy Zanesville” sign. Sure winner.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, gonna be a lot of “occupy” costumes out there this year. ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

ohiogirlie74 said:
    Monkey (or any other wild animal) costume with an “Occupy Zanesville” sign. Sure winner.

heh, yeah, with a giant cold sore to really top it off!
    (as the monkey that may or may not be loose out there is said to be infected with herpes)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    heh, yeah, with a giant cold sore to really top it off!
    (as the monkey that may or may not be loose out there is said to be infected with herpes)

I really wish someone would dress as a giant ham like that little girl in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Put a cold sore on there too just for the hell of it.

Cookie

If someone steals my sexy cold sore costume idea, I’m going to be mad.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Cookie said:
    If someone steals my sexy cold sore costume idea, I’m going to be mad.

Too late.

Cookie

Damn it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.