Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

WIND

This topic contains 147 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  0Angle 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)
  • Author

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How do you prepare? If the power goes out, I can’t grind coffee beans, so I just ground enough for a few days…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Good timing. We’re getting quotes on tuckpointing our chimneys. Hope they don’t fall apart tomorrow.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s hard to imagine the wind blowing down a chimney, but a couple came down in my neighborhood in ’08.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Good lord – my chimney needs tuckpointed (again!), but there’s no cash, and clearly won’t get it done before storm.

I know AEP went around and really did serious tree trimming in the alleys, where the power lines are, in my neighborhood this summer – hopefully, that’ll keep limbs of the lines and the power on.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Watch out for Mary Poppins – that umbrella is pointier than you’d think.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

chimney tuckpointing. I used to worry about my chimey falling over in high wind when a roofer guy told me that the chimney moved on him when he was up there. the Chimney guy (Soots Me) told me that the chimney was fine, they can move and my chimney wasn’t going anywhere. it still needed tuckpointed because of water getting through the cracks.

FYI
    Soots Me did an awesome job and is very knowledgeable about chimneys. check angie’s list if you have it.
    Steve Guthrie
    (614) 218-5329

I think the other people that i could have called was whempy’s or something, but I didn’t so i can’t speak for them.

Ricolla
    Login to Send PM

Is it just me or has it been abnormally
    windy the last couple of years? Or do I just care more because I don’t enjoy watching the siding, gutters, etc get ripped off my house?

sixby9is42
    sixby9is42
    Login to Send PM

Ricolla wrote >>
    Is it just me or has it been abnormally
    windy the last couple of years? Or do I just care more because I don’t enjoy watching the siding, gutters, etc get ripped off my house?

I don’t think it’s just you. I’ve always lived in Ohio (20+ years) and I don’t ever recall seeing a High Wind Advisory before the wind storm in 2008. Maybe it’s because that’s the first time that winds have done any major damage that I can remember.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Glad I bought a generator last year.

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My avatar pic was taken on my side street during that last wind storm. The air ship worked great!

Chris Sherman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I raked my front yard last night…

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

They just installed that wind turbine at the Byers dealership at 270/Sawmill, I wonder how much power it will crank out during this weather episode.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    Glad I bought a generator last year.

If I lose power, I’ll be at yer door with a 12 pack and something to throw on yer grill. :)

Unless yer grill blows off the roof…

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexs wrote >>
    They just installed that wind turbine at the Byers dealership at 270/Sawmill, I wonder how much power it will crank out during this weather episode.

Most wind turbines will go into a version of forced shut-down (or should) during a wind storm, so that they aren’t damaged. They can only spin so quickly before bad things happen. It’s ironic, I know.

ETA: It isn’t that they stop spinning, but that they’ll spin at their max rate and no more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?