Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Help with chicken laws!!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Help with chicken laws!!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  3lilnutters 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

3lilnutters
    Login to Send PM

Can someone please tell me what the laws for owning backyard chickens in Gahanna?! I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find the size of lot that’s required! I did my homework before I got the chickens (i have 4) and it basically said that you had to notify the proper authorities but it never said anything about lot size. Now I have a neighbor (that lives around the corner with 3 dogs that bark all day) complaining that you have to have at least an acre to own chickens. I can’t find anything about the laws in Gahanna now just a bunch about how you can’t have them in Reynoldsburg. Does anyone know??

lbatch
    Login to Send PM

I have a call in to the Gahanna Zoning and Planning department, as I want to keep a couple chickens as well, if you read the city ordinances it does not mention lot size – just says, poultry are permitted in city, but cannot build a kennel/animal shelter (defined as 5 or more animals), and have to meet zoning code as defined elsewhere. When i called today, the person i spoke with mentioned the 1 acre limitation, but then could not find it listed in the code where it said your property had to be zoned for ER-1 or 2, which means 1+ acres, and has to call me back. Will post when i hear, if that will help.

Big_Ford_Country84
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

you can call and complain about the dogs, because barking dogs are a nuisance, or buy “BARK OFF” research it, it worked for me I have 4 set up all sides, no dogs will come near my fence any more, and neary a bark out of them. As for Chickens I am in Columbus we have several people who have them close by and they have small quarter acre lots of less

bob.os
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Big_Ford_Country84 said:
    you can call and complain about the dogs, because barking dogs are a nuisance, or buy “BARK OFF” research it, it worked for me I have 4 set up all sides, no dogs will come near my fence any more, and neary a bark out of them.

Your neighbors must love you. Do you have devices to try to drive away old folks and children too?

FYI: the ultrasonic noisemakers that you are talking about have mixed results at best. Most mature dogs can’t hear them so they don’t get the pain response they are designed to deliver. Dogs that are affected can’t really associate the pain with a specific behavior, so all you’ve really accomplished is to hurt and confuse someone’s pet. Congratulations.

bob.os
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lbatch said:
    I have a call in to the Gahanna Zoning and Planning department, as I want to keep a couple chickens as well, if you read the city ordinances it does not mention lot size – just says, poultry are permitted in city, but cannot build a kennel/animal shelter (defined as 5 or more animals), and have to meet zoning code as defined elsewhere. When i called today, the person i spoke with mentioned the 1 acre limitation, but then could not find it listed in the code where it said your property had to be zoned for ER-1 or 2, which means 1+ acres, and has to call me back. Will post when i hear, if that will help.

Check with the people at City Folks farm shop in Beechwold, as they have a plethora of urban farm resources and may know someone with experience with regulations in Gahanna.

redbird.1965
    Login to Send PM

The City of Gahanna conditionally permits the harboring of farm animals only on parcels zoned ER-1 (5 acres or more) or ER-2 (1 acre or more). They can be housed no less than 200’ from any property line in these zoning categories.

I am going to try to put together a proposal to keep chickens within city limits on smaller parcels of land. I know Bexley allows chickens to I’m going to see what they allow and go from there.

If you have any ideas for me on how to draft a porposal for city council let me know!

FoodFort
    Login to Send PM

Rachel Tayse – Hounds in The Kitchen – knows a thing or two about Urban Chicken farms

budser1228
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The link: Conway Greene – Gahanna Code Chapter 505 of the Gahanna Municipal Code does not state specifics about chickens as to one acre, etc., just details what nuisances are/what you could get in trouble for – noise, smell, etc.

3lilnutters
    Login to Send PM

Well it looks like I hit a hot topic! Franklin county has approved owning chickens, ducks and rabbits on lots smaller than 1/2 acre! Beginning August 8 2013 you can apply for an inspection by the zoning commission to own them. :) They have a few rules but nothing like they used to. Woohoo! Here’s the link my friend found.

http://development.franklincountyohio.gov/projects/chickens-ducks-rabbits/chickens-ducks-rabbits.cfm

Not that Tom
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

chickens have to follow laws just like other people.

Just yesterday, some guy stole my milk money on High Street, and I let him get away, and then I was arrested for loitering in the UDF parking lot.

3lilnutters
    Login to Send PM

Uh…?

Not that Tom
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

3lilnutters said:
    Uh…?

I’m a jokester

bayrea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?