Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

Growl! to open in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Growl! to open in Clintonville

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by News News 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

DouginCMH
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

According to This Week/The Booster, Growl! will open at the former Hungry Howie’s on N High in November, offering:

“40 taps and up to 200 “rare and interesting” beers by the bottle, offered in six-packs and individual bottles…”

Here’s the link:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2013/09/16/Another-growler-to-open-in-Clintonville.html

It does seem to be an odd choice, naming the place so similarly to another business on Indianola. That said, I was wondering what would be going into that location.

Matt Ellis
    Matt Ellis
    Login to Send PM

The more growler shops that open the less interesting they become.
    I don’t have an issue with them opening up here (it’s actually about 30 seconds from my back door)and will likely spend money, but it’s not really filling a void and Pacehigh has a fairly decent been selection just a few blocks north

I’ll check it out but to claim Clintonville is hungry for interesting wine and beer seems a touch odd as it isn’t like the Short North is a million miles out of reach and I’d be surprised if they can stock bottles that wieland’s cannot

DouginCMH
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MattEllis said:
    The more growler shops that open the less interesting they become.
    I don’t have an issue with them opening up here (it’s actually about 30 seconds from my back door)and will likely spend money, but it’s not really filling a void and Pacehigh has a fairly decent been selection just a few blocks north

I’ll check it out but to claim Clintonville is hungry for interesting wine and beer seems a touch odd as it isn’t like the Short North is a million miles out of reach and I’d be surprised if they can stock bottles that wieland’s cannot

I tend to agree. I’m now the proud owners of 4-5 growlers, which I rarely use anymore. Near as I can tell, once this place opens, there will be close to 200 growler taps in Clintonville. And claiming that you need to go to the SN to get certain ‘rare and interesting’ beers is a pretty hard argument to defend in Clintonville; both Savor locations, Weiland’s, Pace High, Palmer’s, not to mention a pretty impressive collection at the C-ville Giant Eagle. I would assume that when Lucky’s Farmer’s market opens next month, it’ll boast a decent beer selection, as well.

It seems to me that the most interesting potential angle with this new business is found here: “…plans to offer glass and pint pours when more comprehensive liquor licenses are obtained.

Growl! will not have food service but will allow patrons to order small plates from Lavash, the Mediterranean restaurant next door.”

C-ville isn’t ‘hungry’ for more bottle and growler shops but, rather, for more places to have a meal and enjoy a nice glass of something. Maybe they can host food trucks in the back parking lot.

bleuboy23
    Login to Send PM

I think there’s room for another beer shop in the hood.

I like to get takeout at Lavash, but they don’t serve beer or wine.

And remember, The Crest, Savor Growl, and the remodeled Studio 35 are pretty recent arrivals to C-Ville.

With Harvest Pizza and others coming, the strip of High street south of Weber could become a destination.

I hope these guys/gals? make it!

DouginCMH
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I noticed as I was driving by this morning that the construction paper came down from the windows at Growl! on High Street in the last 24 hours. Any updated rumors as to an opening date? Gotta be close. I also see that Harvest Kitchen & Bar has a sign up outside their location just down the street, but that’s an opening date question for another thread.

DouginCMH
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Looks like it’s open:

http://growlcolumbus.com/

Growl
    Growl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We are open! Please come celebrate with us this Saturday 10a-10p. We have 41 great beers on tap, we have a reasonably friendly staff, and our prices are great.

Growl
    Growl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

And here’s our on-tap lineup: http://growlcolumbus.com/ontap

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Growl! Opens in Clintonville
    March 21, 2014 2:55 pm – Walker Evans

Clintonville residents and visitors alike will soon have another way to keep their growlers filled and refilled with fresh craft beer. Growl! is the name of the new shop at 2995 North High Street, which is hosting their official grand opening tomorrow.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/growl-opens-in-clintonville

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?