Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

This topic contains 649 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 650 total)
  • Author

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

People are sure passionate about their grocery shopping.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    People are sure passionate about their grocery shopping.

Just wait until they officially announce the closing of the VV Giant Eagle on Neil Ave.

MRipley
    MRipley
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    Who said its a tiny minority? Judging just from this site, most people here would prefer a better situated grocery store layout, with a minority of vocal others that want the store as planned.

Most likely the folks at GE corporate don’t rely on a few forum followers when they complete their market studies for developments. But if it works to make you feel better have at it.

Maybe for a different perspective head on over to Columbusracing.com and see what the folks on that forum would have to say about tootling to the store on a bicycle.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cole said:
    My earlier comments to you comparing the VV Giant Eagle to the proposed Giant Eagle were trying to quantify the demand for a pedestrian/bicycling friendly area. I still think there’s enough demand to allow for development but we’ll just keep going around in circles on that.

I agree; doesn’t seem like anyone’s mind is getting changed.

Note that with the bike racks in the plan cyclists weren’t ignored. Not only can those who wish to bike to this location but there’s bike parking available.

lifeontwowheels
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    I agree; doesn’t seem like anyone’s mind is getting changed.

Note that with the bike racks in the plan cyclists weren’t ignored. Not only can those who wish to bike to this location but there’s bike parking available.

I think the real complaint or point of contention is the design. I’m very, very happy to see the racks but when there are very good examples of better designed urban stores (one a few miles away) it’s pretty shitty to see another suburban style big box.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MRipley said:
    Most likely the folks at GE corporate don’t rely on a few forum followers when they complete their market studies for developments. But if it works to make you feel better have at it.

Maybe for a different perspective head on over to Columbusracing.com and see what the folks on that forum would have to say about tootling to the store on a bicycle.

As I said, argument here isn’t really about bikeability. Certainly, if you want to ride your bike to get groceries, more power to you. The argument here is more about how we shape the public realm of our more urban areas. There’s a reason people want to live in more urban areas – the traditional housing, the unique architecture, the interesting public space. It’s not for everyone, but a sizable number of people live within the city limits. By allowing ANY development, such as the proposed layout of this grocery store (and many other proposed buildings around Columbus), it degrades the qualities that make the urban area of Columbus unique and desirable. Allowing a form of development that is foreign to the traditional building/development pattern of Grandview/Columbus, is just bad planning and contributes to a loss of the very reason why people want to live in and around downtown.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    Allowing a form of development that is foreign to the traditional building/development pattern of Grandview/Columbus, is just bad planning and contributes to a loss of the very reason why people want to live in and around downtown.

Foreign? So, the krogers on chambers is in another dimension or something?

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wel

rus said:

Well based on where they are putting the GE, this should be built to look like a ratty warehouse that’s 80 years old. I think they can pull it off!

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    Well based on where they are putting the GE, this should be built to look like a ratty warehouse that’s 80 years old. I think they can pull it off!

As is tradition…

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    As is tradition…

But hey, those warehouses lasted 80 years! Shocked the nation.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

I would say most development of the last 60 years has been foreign to the traditional development pattern of metro-Columbus.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

KyleEzell said:
    It’s the long picture that is missing in this conversation. From now to the next 30 years, the entire area west of Olentangy is going to face a lot of development pressure. This grocery store, as a major anchor, is going to set the tone for future development. If it’s overly suburban, as is proposed, then future developments will point to it as “established.” It is a crying shame that there was not more foresight here. Now we have “just another suburban store.” Development character matters, and it is the community’s responsibility to make sure the rules are in place before ordinary is allowed to happen. “We the people” should determine how our communities look and function. If Giant Eagle doesn’t want to participate, well, good! We will wait for another company that cares.

Good point, really. Some of the detractors here want to make this into an issue of a few people wanting to ride their bike to the grocery store, and I don’t think that’s the base of the argument at all. Part of this, of course, is wanting a design that is both more pedestrian and bike friendly, but it only becomes that way as part of a much larger urban design that will fit into an area of the city that will gradually become much more urban in the next few decades. Some people are treating this as a bunch of people arguing that suruban design is bad in all cases when the reality is that there are simply better ways to build in different areas. A one size fits all box is not quality design in this location and it’s really a regression for the direction the area is going in.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Real question for the folks who don’t mind the design …. Do you visit Grandview often? If so, where do you go? Finally, what do you like/dislike about Grandview?

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    Real question for the folks who don’t mind the design …. Do you visit Grandview often? If so, where do you go?

I think the obvious answer is the Loose Goose Tavern on Grandview Ave… ;)

http://gettothegoose.com/

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    I think the obvious answer is the Loose Goose Tavern on Grandview Ave…

http://gettothegoose.com/

haha the Goose! Not bad but why would they put a plank fence between the volleyball court and the bar? I like to watch people play.

I live in Grandview. No real complaints except the amount of cops this small city has. hasn’t stopped someone from stealing my bike or change from my car.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 650 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?