Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Yard Giant Eagle

This topic contains 735 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by  GCrites80s 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 736 total)
  • Author
    JeepGirl
    JeepGirl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cole said:
    We’ll have to disagree with what people can practically carry on bicycles or even on foot. But next weekend I’ll take my bike to the groceries to determine if I can easily hull a weeks worth of groceries for 2 people. Whatever the total is, it will be more than “one meal.”

As you’re trying to validate a practice that very few people do, make sure to include some sort of accounting for Ohio’s 4 or 5 months of the year when it’s to cold to cycle, another month or two when it’s to hot, and just about any time when we could have rainy/stormy weather.

KyleEzell
    KyleEzell
    Login to Send PM

It’s the long picture that is missing in this conversation. From now to the next 30 years, the entire area west of Olentangy is going to face a lot of development pressure. This grocery store, as a major anchor, is going to set the tone for future development. If it’s overly suburban, as is proposed, then future developments will point to it as “established.” It is a crying shame that there was not more foresight here. Now we have “just another suburban store.” Development character matters, and it is the community’s responsibility to make sure the rules are in place before ordinary is allowed to happen. “We the people” should determine how our communities look and function. If Giant Eagle doesn’t want to participate, well, good! We will wait for another company that cares.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JeepGirl said:
    As you’re trying to validate a practice that very few people do, make sure to include some sort of accounting for Ohio’s 4 or 5 months of the year when it’s to cold to cycle, another month or two when it’s to hot, and just about any time when we could have rainy/stormy weather.

Or we could just cherry pick the extremes. I know plenty of people who bike year round, sans car. No one is saying you personally have to do it but it’s entirely possible.

Cole
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    No kidding that you and I are just talking here. Figure those with actual money on the table are betting there’s not enough interest in living next to a giant eagle.

Also, if schlepping groceries home on a bike or walking is your thing, go for it. Not like there’s a crocodile moat or something. I’ve done it via subway back in another life. Not something that’s that fun for me but hey, knock yourself out.

Man, now I have to watch out for crocodiles. Maybe they’re afraid of kitty litter?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cole said:
    Man, now I have to watch out for crocodiles. Maybe they’re afraid of kitty litter?

Dude. Kitty litter is crocodile bath salts. They sell it in riverside gas stations right next to the poodle jerky.

Cole
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JeepGirl said:

I’m not validating anything. It’s already something people do. Now that I’m 2 miles away from my nearest grocery store (and 5 miles away from the one I prefer), I drive but someone else may want to bike that distance regularly.

I previously accounted for the weather. I said that the farther the distance, the more that weather factors in. As such, I disagree with there only being 5-7 months of bikeable weather although some bikers might agree with you. More importantly, however, it is much easier to bike year round if most of your destinations are within a mile or two of your house.

Bikeability and walkability are about minimizing the distance between destinations.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cole said:
    I’m not validating anything. It’s already something people do.

Enough people that it’s worth it to developers to design facilities specifically for them?

Doesn’t look like it. If pedestrians / cyclists were a significant market share you’d expect some attempt to appeal to them, right? Yet while I do see some people biking / walking for groceries they’re apparently a tiny minority of all patrons.

tree_sketcher
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Enough people that it’s worth it to developers to design facilities specifically for them?

Doesn’t look like it. If pedestrians / cyclists were a significant market share you’d expect some attempt to appeal to them, right? Yet while I do see some people biking / walking for groceries they’re apparently a tiny minority of all patrons.

You’re right, we should probably get rid of ADA regulations and any other attempts to provide fairness and equity to those users in the minority.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

tree_sketcher said:
    You’re right, we should probably get rid of ADA regulations and any other attempts to provide fairness and equity to those users in the minority.

Because being in a wheelchair is a choice, got it.

tree_sketcher
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Because being in a wheelchair is a choice, got it.

For some folks, owning a car isn’t a choice either.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

tree_sketcher said:
    For some folks, owning a car isn’t a choice either.

So, people who don’t drive are handicapped and therefore society should support them?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JeepGirl
    JeepGirl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

tree_sketcher said:

What’s unfair? You can ride a bike or walk to this planned development, nothing prevents that. Regarding store access, comparing the option to cycle vs someone bound to a wheelchair is just another example of the extreme ridiculousness that some will go to when they don’t have a point.

Apparently it doesn’t have the aesthetics or convenience that you and a tiny minority might prefer so then it’s a horrible project. Get over yourself.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JeepGirl said:
    Apparently it doesn’t have the aesthetics or convenience that you and a tiny minority might prefer so then it’s a horrible project.

Who said its a tiny minority? Judging just from this site, most people here would prefer a better situated grocery store layout, with a minority of vocal others that want the store as planned.

I don’t think the issue here is bikabilty or walk ability of the store (you can certainly do that as its planned). It’s more about sticking to traditional development patterns, and not letting suburban-style development to happen in a neighborhood so close to downtown and a traditional neighborhood to the west.

Cole
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

You misunderstand my response to JeepGirl. She said that I was:

…trying to validate a practice that very few people do…

My comments weren’t meant to address the GE development nor to quantify the demand for a pedestrian/bicycling friendly area. Just that validating biking or walking was unnecessary.

My earlier comments to you comparing the VV Giant Eagle to the proposed Giant Eagle were trying to quantify the demand for a pedestrian/bicycling friendly area. I still think there’s enough demand to allow for development but we’ll just keep going around in circles on that.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 736 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?