Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Grandview Ave & Dublin Rd Redeveopment

This topic contains 127 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  GCrites80s 1 day, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:
    You’re nuts. Why do you hate cars and the people who drive them?

I’m sure this will be a profitable development. What more could we want?

;)

How can you say that? If I don’t feel a passionate urban vibe from a place as I drive past it it’s just not a successful development.

;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I will say that this type of development is more appropriate here rather than 3rd due to traffic patterns, access, volume, but I don’t want to open that wound up again. I’ll check back around page 15. I’m staying out of this one for now. I think everyone knows my big box stance. Keep it civil guys.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    I will say that this type of development is more appropriate here rather than 3rd due to traffic patterns, access, volume, but I don’t want to open that wound up again. I’ll check back around page 15. I’m staying out of this one for now. I think everyone knows my big box stance. Keep it civil guys.

I agree. While it would be great to see this turned into a mixed-use development, I think this is off the beaten trail, so to speak.

Either way, I wish Columbus and the surrounding suburbs would develop a comprehensive master plan for the region. If anything, there’s a lack of understanding where and how we want to develop the region – so we can prevent traffic issues, water management, public space, etc. throughout the region.

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I am super curious of what will happen here. My understanding of the area is that it is a complete brownfield type cleanup. No easy conversion to a usable area.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:
    You’re nuts. Why do you hate cars and the people who drive them?

I’m sure this will be a profitable development. What more could we want?

;)

That’s an awesome way to look at a city. I’m sure we all dream of living somewhere where the only concern regarding development is how much money can be squeezed from it. I guess we can probably get rid of parks then, and public art… oh and roads.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

bucki12 said:
    Dublin Rd is a pedestrian/biking nightmare…

The bike path from Downtown that runs parallel to Dublin Road/33 is great… until it dead ends before you even get to Grandview Ave. :P

But yeah, the lack of sidewalks through here prevents any type of individual development from ever being walkable. Most of 33 is designed as “highway lite” as is.

Personally, I’m thinking it would make a great place to implement BRT or shared traffic Light Rail to connect Downtown Columbus with Historic Dublin with stops along the way at job centers, intersections with cross-town bus routes, park and rides, and parks and recreational areas.

http://g.co/maps/cfu9k

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It sounds like things are still very much in flux per the article above …

A state press release said up to 200 multifamily units also may get built on the property.

To give you an idea the Arbors of Watermark @ 670 and Grandview Ave has 420 units.

So who knows, it might actually turn out to be more of a mixed use development after all. I’d venture to guess nothing is certain until the land is properly cleaned up first.

Cole
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    The bike path from Downtown that runs parallel to Dublin Road/33 is great… until it dead ends before you even get to Grandview Ave. :P

You should come from the Hilltop. The “bridge to nowhere” goes to connects us to Grandview. It’s a nice route.

I agree that Dublin Road isn’t very pedestrian friendly. Plus, I think the road itself needs to be repaved because it’s pretty brutal although it appears that Dublin Road will be repaved:

Also, the 58/59 express routes and the 98 zoo route are similar to your proposed BRT/light rail idea. Your idea has more intermediate stops but I think that it would be a good idea to prolong the 58/59 routes into a limited stop route with transfers at the other stops.

The 58 alignment for those curious:

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:

But yeah, the lack of sidewalks through here prevents any type of individual development from ever being walkable. Most of 33 is designed as “highway lite” as is.

Personally, I’m thinking it would make a great place to implement BRT or shared traffic Light Rail to connect Downtown Columbus with Historic Dublin with stops along the way at job centers, intersections with cross-town bus routes, park and rides, and parks and recreational areas.

Whoa, whoa! Are you trying to create some kind of master plan that integrates transportation and land use? That would never work here!

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    So, imagine a city where this type of development is every block. Would there even be a city anymore? It would just be tract housing, cinderblock retail, and parking….EVERYWHERE. I don’t think that’s the way to grow an attractive city for businesses and people. But that’s my opinion.

Ever been to Jacksonville, FL?

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    Ever been to Jacksonville, FL?

Yeah, unless you’re over 55, it’s not a very attractive place (minus the palms and weather – something we don’t have).

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d love some bike lanes if they are going to repave that stretch. It can be a bit unnerving riding on 33 from the dead-ended trail down to GV Ave.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:
    Whoa, whoa! Are you trying to create some kind of master plan that integrates transportation and land use? That would never work here!

Who, me? Never!

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:

Yes, that would be a pretty decent route for a light rail line from Dublin; however, I’m not sure it has the best catchment (basically the whole area west of the line is the river). Aside from that, there are a lot of businesses along that route and I imagine that would lead to a lot of mixed use redevelopment efforts along 33.

We should work on coupling any light rail/BRT route planning with new zoning regulation to bring more mixed use/dense development along the routes.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:

This is Columbus, not Europe! ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?