Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Tribeca - Edwards Communities Apartments on West Third Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Tribeca – Edwards Communities Apartments on West Third Avenue

This topic contains 85 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  futureman 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

They used to call that a ‘captive bath’ in the design world. If true, that just further cements Edward’s position as an inattentive developer.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Moved from a separate thread:

Are they trying to market to renters that hate people? First you live in a fortress that doesn’t allow interaction with the outside world. Then you make the apartment as guest un-friendly as possible. And these renters, who obviously dislike other people, want to live next to Grandview/Downtown …. one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in Columbus. This makes no sense.

This made me think of the Condo boom …. part of the reason it failed was just really poor, overpriced design (ex. Carlyle’s Watch). The Apartment boom is in full swing and developers are trying to get these up as quickly as possible (Tribeca looks to be done before Grandview Yard and started much later than it) without really thinking about things like “Are these apts. going to be desirable in the next 10-20 years?”

Side note: Carlyle’s Watch is amazing from the outside and its parking system is great too … but the actual condo is a plain box.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 said:
    They used to call that a ‘captive bath’ in the design world. If true, that just further cements Edward’s position as an inattentive developer.

Which is funny because the Neighborhood Launch condos are so well designed both in an out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

joshlapp said:
    Which is funny because the Neighborhood Launch condos are so well designed both in an out.

Neighborhood Launch = Edwards Companies:

http://edwardscompanies.com/

Tribeca = Edwards Communities:

http://www.edwardscommunities.com/

They’re related, but not exactly the same company.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:

Oh I understand I just think its ironic, even if they are only related, that their work falls on the extreme of good and bad.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:
    is that a guard tower on the corner?wtf??

All it needs is a moat and drawbridge.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joshlapp said:

I agree. Even people who hate city-living tend to say positive things about Neighborhood Launch. They really got it right. Then again, we’re talking luxury condos vs apartments and a totally different market.

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:

It appears that someone in the upper level at Edward’s is asleep at the wheel, at least that would be better than incompetence or complete disregard. Third Ave will have to live with this mess for the next 30 years, if not longer.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    I agree. Even people who hate city-living tend to say positive things about Neighborhood Launch. They really got it right. Then again, we’re talking luxury condos vs apartments and a totally different market.

Should not make a bit of difference what type of housing it is. The design of the building should be interactive with the street, whether it’s low income housing or luxury apts. There is no excuse for this. Whoever gave the final say on this should be fired….or take planning classes.

I wander how much tower guards get paid.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow said:
    Should not make a bit of difference what type of housing it is. The design of the building should be interactive with the street, whether it’s low income housing or luxury apts. There is no excuse for this. Whoever gave the final say on this should be fired….or take planning classes.

I wander how much tower guards get paid.

No, I completely agree. However, I’m guessing Edwards doesn’t see it that way with apartments that are geared towards students/young professions vs high-end condos. The extra care to design Trisucka for some reason got nixed. I agree, it’s shocking it was approved.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

I would like to think that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, but I really doubt it. Hopefully, the eventual apartments in Neighborhood Launch are deemed worthy of quality design by the upper echelon at Edwards.

The fact that they feel they can just build crap, and Millennials will rent it, is pretty offensive.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    I would like to think that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, but I really doubt it. Hopefully, the eventual apartments in Neighborhood Launch are deemed worthy of quality design by the upper echelon at Edwards.

The fact that they feel they can just build crap, and Millennials will rent it, is pretty offensive.

Part of the problem is the baby-boomers are the ones designing and paying for these places. I’m willing to bet the people working on this project are about 45-55 years old, and they probably think it’s a wonderful oasis from the city….almost like a gated suburban community. I’m guessing if the idea of placing the units up to the street was mentioned, they had a very odd look on their face and probably said, “Why would you do that?”.

thomasp
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    Part of the problem is the baby-boomers are the ones designing and paying for these places. I’m willing to bet the people working on this project are about 45-55 years old, and they probably think it’s a wonderful oasis from the city….almost like a gated suburban community. I’m guessing if the idea of placing the units up to the street was mentioned, they had a very odd look on their face and probably said, “Why would you do that?”.

You’re most likely correct. I still am surprised that baby boomers would support a “Captive Bath” design. It’s awful.

cheap
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:

im in that age bracket,and you would have to pay me to live in that clusterfuck

Tribeca is the Forums retirement village disguised as a hip and trendy place for hip and trendy people.

people in my age group call those people suckers

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:

With the market being what it is now, it will get fully rented. Edwards will be able to sell it off to another operator in a few years, and that company will get stuck down the road when rental supply/demand evens out and this becomes considerably less desirable. Also right now it is new, and most Americans love new and shiny.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?