Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Good golf course for first time player

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Good golf course for first time player

This topic contains 34 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by zp945 zp945 3 years, 8 months ago.

Tagged

golfing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    zp945
    zp945
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Where would be a good place to take someone playing for the first time? It doesn’t have to be a par three course but somewhere that’s not really long and without much water.

We will be going on Tuesday evening and don’t want to anger other people, so not crowded helps also.

Any suggestions?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Phoenix Golf Links is pretty cheap.

mellotron
    mellotron
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Raymond Memorial – cheap, dry, central location, minimal embarrassment. Good place to hack it up! ;)

NotaryOne
    NotaryOne
    Login to Send PM

Raymond is OK, but for a first timer I’d suggest the 9-hole Wilson Road course right next door.

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wilson is a good introduction course. It has some water and small hills but nothing too challenging. Short is good for beginners too, you don’t want to drag them through 18 holes when they are frustrated.

redsfaithful
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Little Bear Golf Course in Lewis Center is a solid one for beginners as well, but you really do want a 9 hole par 3. SportsOhio has a pitch and putt course too: http://www.thegolfcenteratsportsohio.org/wee_links.html Good way to introduce someone to the game.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

I started on Wilson, really well maintained simple course. If you’re a bird guy, TONS of birds of prey in the area to spot and even the occasional heron.

Wilson is definitely crowded though, they all are, just don’t be afraid to let people play through on occasion.

enzo
    enzo
    Login to Send PM

Blackhawk

Hael
    Hael
    Login to Send PM

If I am remembering this right, the Shamrock Golf Club on Powell Rd was the easiest course I have played. Pretty much straight fairways, not a lot of trees or woods to swallow up golf balls.

“several of the holes could be described as being open and forgiving to your tee shot.”

http://www.shamrockgc.com/golf/proto/shamrockgc/index.htm

Brant
    Login to Send PM

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Any places have good Pros to work with?

I’m finding myself golfing for business reasons these days, and it would be good to have better consistency next time I go out…

aaminian
    aaminian
    Login to Send PM

Wilson Road is probably the only place that I would take a first timer, but Tuesday night is going to be jammed up with leagues no matter where you go, so your speed of play probably won’t be much of an issue anyhow. Raymond is definitely your next best bet.

I think Twin Oaks closed shop a couple years back.

aaminian
    aaminian
    Login to Send PM

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    Any places have good Pros to work with?
    I’m finding myself golfing for business reasons these days, and it would be good to have better consistency next time I go out…

Go see David Profit at Dick’s Sporting Goods at Easton, or J.R. Able at Able’s Golf on Avery Rd in Dublin.

groovydoodle.net
    groovydoodle.net
    Login to Send PM

I love Wilson Rd. course. It’s 9 holes, par 3. It’s where I started and still have the most fun playing.

groovydoodle.net
    groovydoodle.net
    Login to Send PM

May I also recommend playing best ball ‘scramble’ with beginners? It cuts down on the frustration quite a bit and keeps the game more social.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?