Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Gen X: Environmental Activism?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Gen X: Environmental Activism?

This topic contains 140 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Chris Sunami Chris Sunami 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yesterday I read the linked article in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/opinion/07friedman.html?_r=1

Everything he said I agreed with strongly. The environment is the top priority –of course. No bailout for the automakers except as a subsidy for environmentally friendly transportation –yes. A tax on gasoline –please. The baby boomers = “The Greediest Generation” –ha ha, yes!

But it was this sentence that stuck with me:

Our kids should be so much more radical than they are today. I understand why they aren’t. They’re so worried about just getting a job or paying next semester’s tuition. But we must not take their quietism as license to do whatever we want with this bailout cash. They are going to have to pay this money back

That woke me up. I’m not complacent and I try never to be passive, but it hadn’t occurred to me that there was anything I could do to shape a policy like the automaker bailout. Yet at age 33, I can’t sit around like John Mayer and wait for someone to ask my opinion on the matter. So what’s my next step?

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We will be in need of planners for the Earth Day cleanup and celebration in April if any dependable people want to get involved.

http://www.nowgetbusy.org/volunteer/

Would also be happy to share this network of people if you come up with ideas in the meantime or would want to spearhead a project.

But… I’m not sure that is going to make you more radical. I mean, if you want to go drive some rebar in some trees slated to be felled then shoot me a PM but I don’t think that is what he is discussing here.

It is a precarious thing, trying to catch the attention of our generation and convince us of action. Turns out Obama didn’t do it. We had about the same turnout as 2004 just slightly less evangelicals. Good policy and good politics are unfortunately often in opposition. I very much doubt the effectiveness of letters and protest.

Some are powerful, such as the boots at the statehouse lawn, but most go unnoticed. I know the Nature Conservancy and Ohio Environmental Council do both federal and state lobbying days, which is probably the most effective you can be, bar running for office (again shoot me a PM if you are interested in when these are.) What we need is a majority of ‘environmental radicals’ elected to office. Still a ways before I see that happening. Do what you can do and live by your beliefs. I think you are currently doing that, at least from your posts.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

kitoba wrote …it hadn’t occurred to me that there was anything I could do to shape a policy like the automaker bailout

I tend to doubt that there actually is anything that could be done. My pessimism stems from two things:

1) A sense that policy on the federal level is largely shaped by the interplay between lobbyists and politicians

2) The inability to comprehend the enormity/complexity of the impact of policy decisions at that level.

The second point seems interesting, partly because such concerns never seemed to preoccupy previous generations – they seemed more comfortable following the demands of whichever ideological template they’d associated with.

My gut feeling is that Gen X is far less ideological. To the extent that it makes us more alert to contradictions and more ‘results oriented’, perhaps it’s good? To the extent that we may get more bogged down in equivocation that leads to inaction… hmmm.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Keep things local. Easier to have an impact in the immediate community, for things that have a direct impact on you and that you can be passionate about.

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Drew wrote My gut feeling is that Gen X is far less ideological.

My gut feeling is they’re soft and lazy with a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

roy wrote

That’s ‘gen Y’ and the ‘millennials’.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike wrote
    roy wrote

That would be my little sister. And with a full ride to college, her perspectives on life are going to be very warped.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels wrote
    Rockmastermike wrote
    roy wrote

That would be my little sister. And with a full ride to college, her perspectives on life are going to be very warped.

Yeah. Us Gen Xers are all well over 30 now and mostly trying to get through the “Gray Ceiling”.

chrisgillespie
    chrisgillespie
    Login to Send PM

Yawn…..what generation is the best, what generation is the worst? First of all, the article is questioning why our children (Gen Y or whatever) isn’t more activist (and besides, I’ve never heard Gen X referred to as the generation of entitlement…I could have forgotten something, tho).

And hey, we all go through phases. So Gen Xer’s (myself included) are entering that middle phase where those who have kids are dealing with raising them/getting them out on their own, and those whose parents are alive are dealing with them getting old and we gotta watch out for them. For most of us, we got a lot of family issues to stay on top of, and we’re still working. So, maybe we aren’t as active right now. Gotta have priorities.

But yes, there are individuals of all generations getting involved, and nothing stopping the OP from doing what you can. I don’t know that includes the Bailout — so late into this, and pretty complex, and all that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’ve read that the GenX birth timeline runs right up to 1980, and GenY usually starts right after 1980.

Leaving everyone born in 1980 (including myself) excluded from all the bad things said about both generations.

:lol:

chrisgillespie
    chrisgillespie
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote I’ve read that the GenX birth timeline runs right up to 1980, and GenY usually starts right after 1980.

Leaving everyone born in 1980 (including myself) excluded from all the bad things said about both generations.

:lol:

Clever :lol:

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

roy wrote

Heheh… according to Friedman, that’s the Boomers! :wink:

***Generation wars!!!***

chrisgillespie
    chrisgillespie
    Login to Send PM

Sorry. Hope I didn’t poo-poo a generation debate that other folks are into. I’m Gen X, and my husband is a Boomer. We read Newsweek, and everything seems so focused on the Boomers. Gen X usually gets little coverage, and now, people want to complain about us? Uhg……

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike wrote
    roy wrote

Actually, I think it’s “whichever generation came after mine.”

and keeps runnin’ all over my lawn, dagnabbit!!

chrisgillespie
    chrisgillespie
    Login to Send PM

Bear wrote

Actually, I think it’s “whichever generation came after mine.”

and keeps runnin’ all over my lawn, dagnabbit!!

+1

:lol: :lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?