Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Future High Rises

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Future High Rises

This topic contains 81 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  rhymingcookster 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

Wow Hugh, you could even dock your Zeppelin!

people211
    people211
    Login to Send PM

If we do ever get another tower.. I really hope it’ll have an edge to it. Something that will really stick out. If Cincinnati can do it, we should be able to. I would also sacrifice a tall tower for a 10 or 20 mid rise buildings.. Like downtown DC..

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

As long as suburban/rural land is cheap and development/land use policies there are lax or virtually nonexistent, most corporations will continue to locate offices and facilities in the burbs or in prime outer-fringe commercial districts such as Easton and Polaris as opposed to adding a new 50+ story skyscraper to Columbus’ skyline. The game-changer for this may be sustained $4/gallon+ gas and the emergence of a corresponding public interest in relief measures and/or alternatives such as walkable communities and mass-transit.

As much as I would love to see more skyscrapers added to the skyline here in Columbus and elsewhere, I suspect however that we will first see more people moving their place of residence closer to their place of work. In other words, those undeveloped fields you see around Easton and Polaris could soon become new enclaves of condos and apartment complexes.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rhymingcookster wrote >>
    Columbus is poised for another high rise boom.

Columbus has high rises?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>

rhymingcookster wrote >>
    Columbus is poised for another high rise boom.

Columbus has high rises?

Yes…. we have like 5-6 I believe…..

CMHflyer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Count me in as one that would like to see another skyscraper fill in the Columbus skyline.

of the list proposed by the OP, I would like to see #3 the most. It seems as though many people associated with the creative aspects of Limited Brands live near downtown, especially The Brewery District and Short North. It would be great to have company offices in a signature building downtown. My thought would be to build on one of the Columbus Commons parcels directly across from OSU’s Urban Arts Space.

I would also like to see The Dispatch Printing Company resurrect the plans they had for 50 S. Third St, i.e. Capitol Tower Place. While the tower that was originally proposed would certainly be too big for their combined operation, I would love to see them build a structure on that parcel that could house all arms of the Dispatch Printing Company, such as WBNS AM/FM/TV, ONN, Alive!, This Week, etc. Plus, with 10TV’s, Next10 program, it would be nice to see the parent company put its money where its mouth is.

Lastly, if Huntington were to make a major acquisition, it would be nice for the company to expand their downtown presence. I realize their current tower downtown has a decent amount of unleased floor space, but a mixed-use tower anchored by Huntington would be a nice addition to downtown.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mixed Use should set the precendent for most if not all highrises from this day forward.

colrex7
    Login to Send PM

Form Based Codes are good ways to incorporate different uses to create new (mid-high rise) structures. I’m not aware of this being used in Columbus, but it might help with new developments in the central city.

Cities such as Nashville have switched to this type of zoning use. And they have seen a lot of new high-rise residential and commercial developments recently.

http://www.formbasedcodes.org/what-are-form-based-codes

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Rise of the Mid-Rise
    By:Jenny Sullivan

Are we poised to witness a new era of mid-rise construction? Many industry watchers think so and will happily rattle off the reasons. A thoughtfully articulated building of four to six stories can add density to an existing neighborhood, in many cases producing the foot traffic needed to support retail or public transit. The mid-rise can introduce an affordable housing alternative that appeals to smaller households.

READ MORE: http://www.builderonline.com/articles/design/rise-of-the-mid-rise.aspx

people211
    people211
    Login to Send PM

I’d love to see a mid-rise urban version of a normally suburban store in downtown more than anything else. Like a mid-rise Ikea at the corner of Main and S. High. A smaller store that would house some of the products that the larger store has, along with an Ikea restaurant on the first floor. Whatever isn’t available in store, you would be able to order in store and have it shipped from the full store in suburban Cincy to the Columbus store.

I know that’s extreme wishful thinking, especially since more than likely if Ikea did come to Columbus… ever… it would be built next to Costco at Polaris.. or somewhere around Easton.. as usual…

Maybe a mid-rise building that features an urban Target. And to make it interesting, all the condos/ apartments/ other businesses located in the building would all be decorated with Target merchandise.

Target Lifestyle Communities?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

I don’t think that Columbus really needs to add another highrise. If they do i think they should add a 400-500 ft condo tower in the River South District or a new Nationwide Headquater building. Also I was in Indianapolis today, and they have fewer taller buildings than Columbus, and they have a larger population than us.

Bart Overly
    Bart Overly
    Login to Send PM

We always liked this sketchy idea (simply as a way to visualize existing suburban development in urban packages), and the big plus is that it brings back The Kahiki too.

Putting Chase Operations Center at Polaris on end, on the riverfront:

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

‘Ceci tuera cela’

I think that a mobile Kahiki cart is the immutable future.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Bart Overly wrote >>
    We always liked this sketchy idea (simply as a way to visualize existing suburban development in urban packages), and the big plus is that it brings back The Kahiki too.
    Putting Chase Operations Center at Polaris on end, on the riverfront:

I would like to see Chase Bank move Downtown form Polaris.

marypoppinzzz
    marypoppinzzz
    Login to Send PM

I’m excited for Chase’s move to our urban core!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?