Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Furnace: fan not working

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Furnace: fan not working

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Tigertree Tigertree 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Any suggestions short of calling someone? The furnace is working, the duct near it is hot to the touch, the blower is “just” not working. It buzzes when I turn it on. I don’t know the first thing about this stuff, but I want to try and avoid paying someone if I can.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Could be a problem with the electrical panel controlling the blower motor. I think it’s fairly common for the electric panel to get dusty/dirty and short out somehow.

But yeah. I know very little about this sort of thing, so take that for what it’s worth. ;)

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

i would call someone and get a furnace/AC tune-up at the same time.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

I wouldn’t be worried about just tinkering were it not for the size of the electrical shock warning sticker.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote I wouldn’t be worried about just tinkering were it not for the size of the electrical shock warning sticker.

Bwahahahahaha

I guess you could technically turn off power at your fuse box, but really some things are best left to a professional.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I did that, and then as I started to take the cover off I noticed the second giant “remove refrigerant for risk of explosion” sticker. I guess I have to swallow my cheapness and call.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve found sometimes calling in a professional does actually save you more in the long run.

I’ve spent a lot of money to fix things I broke in an attempt to fix something else.

chivespa1
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Before calling a furnace person you might want to consider a couple of things. Did you use (if you have it) the air conditioning prior to the furnace? Was the fan working previously? Have you checked to make sure that the fan is turned on? Some heating/ac systems have a separate switch for the fan. Thermostats are also often the cause of malfunctioning heating/ac systems. If you were considering replacing the thermostat with something programmable (very easy to diy) you might do that too. Just a thought. I might be willing to replace a heater fan on my own but I’m pretty adventurous that way; since you seem a little less adventurous you should probably call a professional.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

I have been using the a/c all summer and heater a couple of times already with no problems. I changed the thermostat in the beginning of the summer when my a/c stopped working the first time it got warm…

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote I have been using the a/c all summer and heater a couple of times already with no problems. I changed the thermostat in the beginning of the summer when my a/c stopped working the first time it got warm…

Do you have a home warranty? Might be able to get a new furnace out of it if you do.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Yep. But I am at the store.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote Yep. But I am at the store.

Just turn it into your home warranty then. Probably a $50 deductable.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mercurius wrote
    Tigertree wrote Yep. But I am at the store.

Just turn it into your home warranty then. Probably a $50 deductable.

Good call. Home warrenty saved me tons of money in the first year. you can call your realtor for advice. I’m very happy I did.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Oh, guess that wasn’t self explanatory. My furnace at home works.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

maybe call landlord then? I dunno. I’d call someone or you’re gonna have lots of people with stiff nips coming out of the changing rooms.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?