Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Frozen Toilet?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Frozen Toilet?

This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Tigertree Tigertree 5 years, 10 months ago.

Tagged

advice

winter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

The sink in the work bathroom works, but the toilet is not filling back up, so I think there is a pipe frozen somewhere. I left the sink dripping last night to keep it from freezing, but didn’t know what to do about the toilet so what do I do now to ensure the pipes don’t burst?

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote >>
    …so what do I do now to ensure the pipes don’t burst?

Find somewhere else to go the bathroom. Quick! :D

enzo
    enzo
    Login to Send PM

OMG Guess what happened at my house…all the hot water works on the first floor and the basement, but turn on the hot water faucet upstairs and NOTHING….NOTHING not a peep.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

let all sinks drip. open cabinets where you have water pipes so the heat gets to the pipes(under your sinks). the pipe doesn’t burst outward, the ice builds pressure along the pipe, that’s why you let the faucets drip, so the pressure doesn’t build and then burst the pipe.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

enzo wrote >>
    OMG Guess what happened at my house…all the hot water works on the first floor and the basement, but turn on the hot water faucet upstairs and NOTHING….NOTHING not a peep.

I could have guessed that because you wrote it in another thread

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

lifeliberty wrote >>
    let all sinks drip. open cabinets where you have water pipes so the heat gets to the pipes(under your sinks).

good advice. good luck, tigertree.

i am working a solution to just get my hot water to work again. all pipes seem to be flowing normally…

Roland
    Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Once they freeze, I don’t know if there is really anything you can do except wait.

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My dad used to hit ‘em with a blow torch, but you might want to do some research before pursuing that angle. Wrapping them in insulation seems to be a good preventative measure.

*edit*

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/thawing-frozen-pipes.shtml

A blowtorch is not a good idea…leave it to my dad. Try a hairdryer.

Motorist
    Motorist
    Login to Send PM

Electric pipe wrap works pretty well but you most likely won’t be able to get to where the pipe is frozen. You could try wrapping the pipes that you can get to and hope the heat travels far enough upstream to thaw things.

You might also check the tank. Make sure there is not a guy with a knife hiding in there and preventing the tank from filling up. You are in the Short North, after all.

Likes Old Houses
    Likes Old Houses
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

From my frozen pipe experiences, they don’t always burst or leak. You may be lucky that they just thaw out. You will need to keep an eye on them. Does yourtoliet sits against an outside wall? More then likely it is frozen somewhere in the wall (assuming this is on the second floor).
    My problem is just the hot water pipe freezes. So I can still use the bathroom, just not the shower.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

Well, the problem is the plumbing is in that back brick wall in that little inlet behind phia. I can’t get to anything. The sink works, hot water and all. I am just worried since the cold is going to continue for a while. Is there really nothing to else to do but wait?

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote >> Is there really nothing to else to do but wait?

Don’t worry. Spring is only 2 months away!

HeySquare
    HeySquare
    Login to Send PM

The water in the sink trap used to freeze in a building where I used to work. I would pour some hot water into the sink, and it would melt the blockage. I wouldn’t pour *boiling* water in, but you could try filling the tank with very hot water and see if that gets it moving again…

ZHC
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote >>
    Well, the problem is the plumbing is in that back brick wall in that little inlet behind phia. I can’t get to anything. The sink works, hot water and all. I am just worried since the cold is going to continue for a while. Is there really nothing to else to do but wait?

Unfortunately not a whole lot.Anytime you have piping going along exterior walls that isn’t properly insulated you could have problems like this.

Motorist and LikesOldHouses gave you very good advice that I would recommend to most people. If you can access any of the pipe I’d try what Motorist suggested

Otherwise what I would try to do in your case since you said you can’t reach the pipes is get as much as heat as safely possible going on in the bathroom. I’d leave the lights on (especially if they are incandescents, one downside/upside to CFLs is they generate a lot less heat), get a heat lamp and/or a portable space heater going in the bathroom (but take to place them where they won’t be a fire hazard) If you have a shower in the bathroom I’d take some hot showers too. That’s worked for me in the past.

make sure you leave the valve to the toilet open.

LikeOldHouses is right, often times they don’t burst so you may get lucky. But you certainly should try to keep it from getting any colder if you can. That can be the difference between a burst pipe and a merely frozen one.

Good luck

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

We’re having this problem with the cold water in our kitchen sink today. Everything else in the house is working fine. I went down the basement and traced the pipe and it seems pretty normal, and not overly cold anywhere. The furnace in the basement keeps it warmer than freezing down there, so I’m guessing my problem is also inside the wall where I can’t really get to it.

I’ve got the cabinets open and have other faucets dripping, but I also don’t think I have too many options other than to wait and hope that it doesn’t burst. Just keep an eye on the basement. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?