Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

Figure drawing group at Wild Goose

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Figure drawing group at Wild Goose

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by mightymighty mightymighty 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

mightymighty wrote >>
    Already tried, since I posted that a week ago it won’t allow me to edit.

Fixed.

WildGooseCreative
    WildGooseCreative
    Login to Send PM

One other thing about the poster, Sara. Our address is 2491 Summit, not 2595.

And to pick up on what Anne said earlier, we’re definitely interested in allowing people to leave some (some) supplies at the space. Our painter’s group does this. We just ask that you would allow the supplies to be used by others from time to time.

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I pulled that address of the internet. Sorry about that. Will fix.

But anyway, on we go…

What to Bring:
    Honestly, bring whatever you want to draw with and on :)

But, if this is your first time (or first time in a long time) and you have no idea of what you will need, here’s a recomendation. (footnote, I just used Dick Blick’s website because it was handy, Utrecht is a good store too, and I’d shop there more often if it was closer to me.)

Drawing:
    here’s a good kit that has anything you’d want to start out with:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/cretacolor-basic-drawing-set/

But if you want to forgo the kit, start with graphite. True drawing pencils will be labled from B’s, to BH, To H’s B’s are soft, H’s are hard, and the higher the number, the harder or softer the lead. BH is in the middle. If you have no idea how to use the different weights of lead, don’t sweat it. If you want, you can find a pencil kit that has several different weights and I can work with you during the session.

For erasers, I recomend kneaded:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/design-kneaded-rubber-eraser/
    Actually, I suggest people new to figure drawing not use erasers at all ;) but it’s your prerogative.

Paper:
    You’ll want a sketch pad that is between 16″ x 20″ to 24″ x 36″. I suggest you get the kind with a spiral binding, and not the glue-tape binding (the tape makes the paper harder to flip, and often your drawings will fall out). The type of paper is entirely up to you, I suggest white recycled paper, as it has a good texture. Newsprint is good for practice, but the paper has a lot of acid in it and it will degrade over time.

Remember, you’ll want to support the back somehow. Sketch boards like this:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-sketch-pad-boards/ are good, and come in many sizes.

Keep in mind, these are guidelines, not rules.

You can find these supplies at:

Blick Art Materials
    http://www.dickblick.com
    6486 Sawmill Road
    Columbus, OH 43235-3914
    (614) 792-1900

Utrecht Art Supply
    http://www.utrechtart.com
    612 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43215
    (614) 224-7112

and most arts and craft stores, like Michaels, JoAnn Fabric, and Hobby Lobby, but their prices tend to be higher and the selection not so good.

Contact me if you have any questions about what to bring ;)

LauraA
    Login to Send PM

if you friend blick on facebook, they occasionally post coupon urls in their status and they invite you to sales :D

asil
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This is on my calendar, I’m so excited! It’s been more years than I care to share since I’ve drawn (or painted anything but walls) but I always enjoyed it and have been wanting to take something artistic up again, this is a great opportunity. I do have a sneaking suspicion that I’ve greatly inflated my imagined aptitude over the years, hope everyone enjoys embellished stick figures!

asil
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Is this still on for tomorrow? Looking forward to it!

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s on like Donkey Kong!

See you all tonight!

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wild Goose Creative is walking distance for me and just a wonderful resource to have in our neighborhood. I’ve only gone to a couple of events hosted there, but I can’t stop gushing about how glad I am to have them around.

They’re not the magic antidote to lame tagging and guys without shirts, but they’re a step in the right direction.

Thanks Sara for organizing this, and thanks WGC for hosting. Tuesdays aren’t always good for me, but I got to this one and was glad I did. Now if I could just remember how to draw!

blammo
    blammo
    Login to Send PM

jeff_r wrote >>
    Now if I could just remember how to draw!

+1

asil
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I missed this one after all my excitement. Had to work late, then the open road was calling and I was forced to take a motorcycle for a spin. I will check back for the next one, I’ve been carrying my pad and pencils in the car since looking forward to it.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

jeff_r wrote >>
    Wild Goose Creative is walking distance for me and just a wonderful resource to have in our neighborhood. I’ve only gone to a couple of events hosted there, but I can’t stop gushing about how glad I am to have them around.

It’s true. He can’t.

blammo
    blammo
    Login to Send PM

asil wrote >>
    I missed this one after all my excitement. Had to work late, then the open road was calling and I was forced to take a motorcycle for a spin. I will check back for the next one, I’ve been carrying my pad and pencils in the car since looking forward to it.

It was a gorgeous evening for sure. I would have taken my motorcycle there if I could have figured out the logistics of the drawing board.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

attach strings to all corners and fly it like a kite. if you’re going fast enough it’ll work. just don’t make any stops.

b was looking fwd to this for over a month, but the nice weather took over and she had to ride her bike instead. We’ve had cabin fever for a bit so when the nice weather hit there was no way we were going to stay inside. she does really want to do it, please advise of next one.

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hey everyone, the Figure drawing sessions at Wild Goose will now be every second & fourth Tuesday, same time (starts at 6)

See you next week on the 14th!

jake
    jake
    Login to Send PM

Sarah, I know this is an old thread, and so forth. And, I think someone else is running the classes at Wild Goose Creative now (?)However, I wanted to ask if you know of any other life drawing groups that are looking for someone to model? I’m already on Beth’s contact list at Wild Goose, but they are booked out for a couple months, as is every place else I’ve contacted. I am looking for work and could use the opportunity to earn a little extra money in the near term. I have done modeling for life drawing classes (ie, nude) before, but not since college. However, I can hold a pose and am in reasonably good shape. If you or anyone else here knows of a group to contact, please post the info here. Thanks. (BTW, I’ve also been in touch with all the art schools: CCAD, OSU, CSCC, Cult Arts Ctr, etc.)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?