Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

Figure drawing group at Wild Goose

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Figure drawing group at Wild Goose

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by mightymighty mightymighty 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

blammo wrote >>
    Maybe we can hire someone to come in and walk around & tell us how bad we suck, just to recreate that authentic art education experience.

Hey, I’ll do that :D

AnneD
    AnneD
    Login to Send PM

How cool! I just found all my old drawing supplies, so I will try to check this out. I haven’t drawn figures since college.

Not that I am any good – I developed some skill, but clearly have no talent for it. It’s fun, though, and it’s nice to do a creative thing that I don’t try to make money or get judged on.

My horrible drawing class experience: My prof would always arrange our homework from best to worst, and mine was often dead last… at least until we had to draw a piece without perspective (based on South American appliqué art.) Mine was #1, baby, and I was the only person who managed a “complete and total lack of perspective.” Go me.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

…arranged best to worst???

Now I’m just furious! Who teaches these people how to teach???

LauraA
    Login to Send PM

i would love to go to these. i’m penciling it in:)

yeah, when i was a freshman at mica (maryland institute college of art) i was recommended by my counselor to take a class with a certain teacher based on my ap credits. he berated us and basically told 2/3 of the class that we sucked. critiques usually ended with at least 5 people crying.

i then took a different teacher that would parade my work around the class and tell me how great i was, and when it came to review time, he announced that i was getting an a to the whole class without even looking at my portfolio. believe me, my drawings didn’t change that much in 2 years.

moral of the story, art is subjective. don’t let some ahole tell you whether you are good or bad. just do it because it is fun.

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

what supplies should be brought? (recommendations)

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Do you have models lined up, or do we gotta take turns? that might be particularly painful to inflict on everyone else, lol.

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeliberty wrote >>
    what supplies should be brought? (recommendations)

As we get closer to launch I’ll make an ‘official’ supply list for folks who’ve never done anything like this before, but honestly you can bring whatever you’re comfortable drawing on. Only really important footnote is there’s no easels at the space, so you’ll either want to bring your own if you want to work with one. I’ll bring my portable easel for people to use, but that’s just one & it’ll be fist come first serve.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have to, have to, HAVE TO remember to go to this. Anyone who’s going care to give a little heads up reminder or revive the thread before this happens?

I’m so forgetful about great stuff like this that I’d like to support and participate in.

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

blammo wrote >>
    Do you have models lined up, or do we gotta take turns? that might be particularly painful to inflict on everyone else, lol.

yes I have a few models lined up, I am looking for more boys though (I have plenty of ladies). If there are any gents interested please let me know (pm or email me). Experience is prefered but not necessary, and yes you will have to be nude. Kinda hard to study the figure with clothes on…

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m getting the info for someone who likes to draw, but has never taken a formal drawing class. is it ok if they just show up, or do you want people to make reservations?

are there chairs, or bring your own?

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

and you might want to edit the price in your first post to reflect what is on the flier

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I’m getting the info for someone who likes to draw, but has never taken a formal drawing class. is it ok if they just show up, or do you want people to make reservations?
    are there chairs, or bring your own?

Yeah just show up, and yes there are chairs (and great lighting too) I have a facebook and a myspace group if your friend (or anyone else) wants to join em. and folks can of course email me, and I’ll send out more details a couple weeks before the group starts.

and I’ll top this thread before the first class Mis Manatee ;)

mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lifeliberty wrote >>
    and you might want to edit the price in your first post to reflect what is on the flier

Already tried, since I posted that a week ago it won’t allow me to edit. I had to up the price because the cost of the space went up from what I was originally quoted. I’m trying to keep it low for everyone to attend (this will hardly be a money makin’ gig), but I don’t want to go broke putting it on either :)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Great! I’ll make sure I’m in the Facebook group, too.

Thanks for doing this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?