Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

Figure drawing group at Wild Goose

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Figure drawing group at Wild Goose

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by mightymighty mightymighty 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    mightymighty
    mightymighty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well, for folks who are looking to draw figures in Columbus, I started me a Figure Drawing group! There are others granted, but none are at a time where I can go.

If you want notices on mespace:

http://groups.myspace.com/SaraDrawingGroup

or Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56679712593

I got you covered. Or you can just email me if you want updates at saraadrian1@gmail.com (I may just start a google group also, but damn that’s alot to moderate).

This is a casual figure drawing group for everyone (as long as you’re over 18). If you’ve never worked with a live model, or just want to work on your skills, I’m here to give guidance. If you just want to work on your own, that’s fine too.

We meet every 2nd Tuesday (starting March 10th) at 6 PM. Each session is 2 hours, and costs 8 dollars to attend. If this gets popular we may be able to do this more often!

So come on down, there will be drinks and snacks!

Check out http://www.wildgoosecreative.com/ for info on this, and the other interesting stuff they have going on down there.

Address is:

2491 Summit Street

Columbus, OH

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This is great Sara. I’m glad you’re doing this and I’m glad it’s happening at Wild Goose. I just recently found out about that space and I’m thrilled to have it in the neighborhood!

I’ve been thinking about doing some figurative work, so the more life drawing groups the better. Unfortunately, Tuesday evenings don’t work for me.

Do update us regarding the group’s progress though. I’d love to hear how things are going and find out if you start setting up additional sessions.

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This sounds like a great idea and I’d love to participate.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I’m giving this some serious thought.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Me too. Gah, there are a lot of great things to do all of a sudden– I’m not very good at coordinating my time. I would love to make it to some of these, though. Great idea.

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I just wish i hadn’t thrown out my drawing board in a fit of “I’m never gonna need THIS again!” a few years ago. It sucks, I curse all the crap I hang onto but I need everything I ever got rid of. I guess I could make one out of some masonite though.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

blammo wrote >>
    I just wish i hadn’t thrown out my drawing board in a fit of “I’m never gonna need THIS again!” a few years ago. It sucks, I curse all the crap I hang onto but I need everything I ever got rid of. I guess I could make one out of some masonite though.

You could probably make your own charcoal pencils and paper too, but really…just go to the art store.

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

too late, I already planted the seeds for the tree from which I’m going to make the paper. this class is still going to be around in 10 or so years, right?

Matthew
    Matthew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I never did master figure drawing. It amazes me that I can survive (with time) through still lifes and free-hand structural drawings, yet each time I drew a figure it turned out looking like an earthworm draped over a chair. Of course I gave that up after my run at CCAD when the teacher told me I would probably never learn to draw figures. Eh, who cares.

PS. I have some old art supplies including some boards I think. Does anyone know of a good place to donate those items to?

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Matthew wrote >> Of course I gave that up after my run at CCAD when the teacher told me I would probably never learn to draw figures.

What kind of teacher says something like that?

I’d heard CCAD was tough, but jeez…

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Maybe we can hire someone to come in and walk around & tell us how bad we suck, just to recreate that authentic art education experience.

Matthew
    Matthew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The worst part for me was hanging my “earthworm” figure drawings for the whole class to critique. I used to schedule my absences so that I could miss those big critique days.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I can remember an out-of-class figure drawing assignment where I was the only student to actually take it (semi)seriously and at least complete it. On critique day, mine was the only piece on the wall. The instructor threw a fit, and then pointed at my piece and said, “it sucks, but at least he did SOMETHING!”.

I’d have been more upset if I had put more than 20 minutes into it…

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Matthew wrote >>
    PS. I have some old art supplies including some boards I think. Does anyone know of a good place to donate those items to?

You may be able to just leave your stuff at Wild Goose for anyone to use. I think they take all sorts of donations. :)

pixlfarmer
    Login to Send PM

Excellent! I will be there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?