Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Favorite/Least Favorite Buildings in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Favorite/Least Favorite Buildings in Columbus

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  RellekOTE 2 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

RellekOTE
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Maybe a 40 or 50 story convention center to replace that one… (I’m totally joking, of course). But I do completely agree with you. I said on another thread that I think the people of CU should form a committee in which every developer has to present ideas to prior to anywhere else… :)

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

Favorite Building:

Least Favorite: Greyhound bus building, Goodyear tire shop, former city center parking garage, the 7 story no window building, and this horrendous piece of concrete:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0fNlVpC6KRmajYHgZzTnJcdb0lrcycQk__Fj1Xdi4kpge20yKGg

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My favorite building in Columbus is still the Ohio Historical Center. Here’s why:

The Ohio Historical Center: A Defense

Senator Tankerbell
    Senator Tankerbell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My LEAST favorite building in Central Ohio is the freaking Walgreen’s they built where this used to be:

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Senator Tankerbell said:
    My LEAST favorite building in Central Ohio is the freaking Walgreen’s they built where this used to be:

Damnit.

You had to remind me it’s gone.

billbix
    Login to Send PM

Police Headquarters is pretty bad.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jeff_r said:
    My favorite building in Columbus is still the Ohio Historical Center. Here’s why:

The Ohio Historical Center: A Defense

I’ve ALWAYS loved the building, but haven’t been inside in years. I just left a rehearsal for a star wars themed wedding being held there, and I got to wander around after hours and was just blown away by how awesome a place it is nowadays. I can’t wait for my niece to be old enough for me to take her there and watch her get into all the kid-friendly things they have going on.

wpcc88
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

this

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=columbus+ohio&hl=en&ll=39.965728,-82.996793&spn=0.000382,0.00066&hnear=Columbus,+Franklin,+Ohio&gl=us&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=39.965728,-82.996793&panoid=WX4YUZRnLnHvH7A9sSn2Dg&cbp=12,212.49,,0,-25.4

and the Rhodes Building.. the one in the link looks like something I drew up in kindergarten, did architects in the 50-60′s even have to go to school?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Got to say that for me, the Ohio Historical building suffers from many of the same architectural shortcomings as the Convention Center– it’s all about theory and cute quotes, and less about people friendliness.

I go for the Frank Packard buildings in Columbus, of which there are many: the cool old railroad station on West Broad right by COSI, the Seneca Hotel, the Atlas Building, etc. etc. There are also a lot of Packard buildings where I live in Granville, including the Granville Inn, Bryn Du Mansion and our library. I know Packard uses some faux-classical flourishes and that bothers the new guard, but all in all I think he was a proponent of a lot of good stuff like using native stone from farm fields, etc. They are also for the most part, just comfortable buildings with beautiful ambiance. You know where the front door is and they don’t look like they’re going to fall over. Graciously, they are used by people, and not the other way around. We’re coming up on the centennial of lots of those buildings and they’re still well-loved.

Plus one to the hate for tinted glass windows. They make everything look like one of those hideous bathrooms from the seventies that had rough black-brown paneling and wall-to-wall brown carpet. And brown fixtures. Brown! I did an art piece making fun of this when I first moved to Columbus because it seemed like the whole downtown was empty and had been abandoned in the seventies. It’s so good to see some vibrancy down there again.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?