Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

Fast Food Workers Strike for Living Wage

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Fast Food Workers Strike for Living Wage

This topic contains 48 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ehill27 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Fast Food Strike

By Nadine DeNinno – International Business Times

July 26 2013 9:39 AM

On Monday, workers from major chains including KFC, Wendy’s, Burger King and McDonald’s in seven cities will be staging a strike in a protest for better wages. The workers are hoping the protests — which will occur in Detroit, New York, Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, Flint, Mich., and Kansas City, Mo. — will prompt employers of popular fast-food chains to raise pay to a “living wage” of $15 an hour.

READ MORE: http://www.ibtimes.com/fast-food-strike-detroit-st-louis-new-york-chicago-3-other-cities-striking-monday-increased-pay

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Fast Food, Low Pay
    By MARK BITTMAN – NYTimes
    July 25, 2013

…a rapidly increasing number of food industry and other retail workers are now fighting for basic rights: halfway decent pay, a real work schedule, the right to organize, health care, paid sick days, vacations and respect. Next week, organizers say, we’ll see a walkout of thousands of workers at hundreds of stores in at least seven cities, including New York and Chicago.

READ MORE: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opinionator/2013/07/25/fast-food-low-pay/?_r=0&

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

They should of course fight for better conditions, but I believe this will speed up what I think is an inevitable move to automated fast food. No reason to staff a restaurant with 10 people making $15 an hour when you can have a technician/repairman keep several of them up and running.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    They should of course fight for better conditions, but I believe this will speed up what I think is an inevitable move to automated fast food. No reason to staff a restaurant with 10 people making $15 an hour when you can have a technician/repairman keep several of them up and running.

IIRC McDonald’s was experimenting with automated french fry production a few years ago. Don’t know if it went anywhere.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:

There is no doubt in my mind that this will be the future of many of these entry level service jobs (cashier, bank teller, loan desk librarian etc). If you look into franchising fast food the automated systems for eliminating man hours have become all the rage.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Again, this seems a very risky move.
    Any non-unionized worker who “goes on strike” for one day is essentially just not going into work.

No call, no show, no job.

mrmann
    Login to Send PM

It will be interesting to see what happens. I am a little dubious as to how much the union will want to take from the till and how powerful it can be in a high turnover low skill trade.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Seeing more stories today about this continuing.
    If these folks want their wages raised from $7.25 per hour to $15.00 per hour, doesn’t that mean that all the rest of us will need to get our wages doubled as well, thus making money worth less, and putting them right back in the poop.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Fast-food employees set to strike nationwide
    BLADE STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

NEW YORK — Fast-food customers in search of burgers and fries might run into striking workers instead. Organizers say thousands of fast-food workers are set to stage walkouts in dozens of cities around the country today, part of a push to get chains such as McDonald’s, Taco Bell and Wendy’s to pay workers higher wages.

READ MORE: http://www.toledoblade.com/Economy/2013/08/29/Fast-food-employees-set-to-strike-nationwide.html

kmg67
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That only leaves Americans with…. a few dozen other fast food choices that won’t be striking.

Jman4ever
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Graybeak said:
    Seeing more stories today about this continuing.
    If these folks want their wages raised from $7.25 per hour to $15.00 per hour, doesn’t that mean that all the rest of us will need to get our wages doubled as well, thus making money worth less, and putting them right back in the poop.

I assume this is TIC, yes?
    Let’s say this does happen then where will this lead?

Bigger FF joints will push more and more for automation. IIRC McDonalds tested outsourcing their drive through order system about 10 years ago. I would also expect more automated kiosks, and more push in the delivery system for microwaved food.

Smaller FF type joints will feel the wage pressure as well and this will hurt their ability to compete and innovate. (and I mean beyond Burger Kings BRILLIANT idea to put 4 (that’s right 4) French fries on a dollar burger.

FF costs will go up. This will make the quick service places like Chili’s/Applebees, etc… more attractive. I mean you will end up paying the same price for a meal at Chili’s as you would at McDonalds, why not go to the Chilis?

I am sure there is lot’s more to be expected but that’s a start IMO

kmg67
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Jman4ever said:
    I assume this is TIC, yes?
    Let’s say this does happen then where will this lead?

No chance in hell this will ever happen. You have skilled machinists that are professionally trained via tech schools and/or certification programs that are making $15-18/hr. They call workers in the fast food industry “unskilled laborers” for a reason.

TaraK
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Unskilled or not, I think folks working 40 hrs. a week should be able to make a living wage from that. Rather than a blanket raise hike, I’d prefer a restaurant workers’ union/guild/whatever where folks working 40 hours are considered full-time, paid a decent wage, given benefits. As is the bulk of fast-food workers are split between two jobs and working more than that for crap.

Of course, I think university adjuncts need the same damn thing.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think 15 is kind of ridiculous, but so is 7.25. I could see 10-12 an hour making sense (as there’s companies who are successful now paying their unskilled labor that kind of rate).

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m looking for online work, and finding things like “Compensation: Experience” meaning I’m trying to compete with people who are working for free.

OK that’s extreme, but as another example, write 500-word articles for $7 each, up to five articles per day – so crank out 2500 words and earn $35/day max.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?