Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

FUSIAN - Fast-Casual Sushi

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining FUSIAN – Fast-Casual Sushi

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

New sushi restaurant poised to open in Dayton

By Mark Fisher | Thursday, September 29, 2011

Three Oakwood natives are poised to open their new sushi restaurant called Fusian at 1200 Brown St. near the University of Dayton.

Harman described Fusian as a “fast-casual sushi restaurant” at which customers essentially create their own sushi roll in a service style similar to Chipotle. “We assemble your order right in front of you,” Harman said, from a choice of ingredients that include — but go beyond — uncooked fish to include cooked steak and chicken and several vegetable options.

READ MORE: http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/taste/entries/2011/09/29/new_sushi_restaurant_poised_to.html

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I could be wrong, but my gut reaction was that this sounds like a bad idea. I’m really curious as to how they can prepare the rolls quickly enough to keep the ‘fast’ in ‘fast casual’.

arualpalm
    arualpalm
    Login to Send PM

drew said:
    I could be wrong, but my gut reaction was that this sounds like a bad idea. I’m really curious as to how they can prepare the rolls quickly enough to keep the ‘fast’ in ‘fast casual’.

Good point. I did not think about the speed of preparation, but I would love being able to choose what goes in my sushi and it being fresh.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

drew said:

Sounds like a Food Adventures road trip. ;)

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Sounds like a Food Adventures road trip. ;)

I have family ’round those parts, so I’ll definitely check it out sooner or later.

Have to also admit to a strong curiosity in Chipotle-alike concepts in general.

arualpalm said:
    Good point. I did not think about the speed of preparation, but I would love being able to choose what goes in my sushi and it being fresh.

Do you feel that most traditional sushi restaurants don’t provide a sufficient selection and/or freshness?

I guess for me, the big advantage would be in time savings… and I’m just unsure of how they can pull that off. And, if they can pull it off, does it somehow compromise quality?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I grabbed lunch here during my last Cincy trip. It’s a brilliant concept and their system works flawlessly. Is it the best sushi? No. But it’s good and endlessly customizable and the staff was soooo nice. The non seafood options are a nice touch too for those who might not try sushi for lack of interest in ocean critters. They have a cool rice thingie that presses a square of sushi rice onto a sheet of nori. Then it slides down the line just like chipotle. They have a cutting machine that slices it perfectly. Add some sauces perhaps, sesame or some roe and voila! I’d love to see a few of these in Columbus, and I tweeted to tell them so. :)

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

osulew said:
    I grabbed lunch here during my last Cincy trip. It’s a brilliant concept and their system works flawlessly. Is it the best sushi? No. But it’s good and endlessly customizable and the staff was soooo nice. The non seafood options are a nice touch too for those who might not try sushi for lack of interest in ocean critters. They have a cool rice thingie that presses a square of sushi rice onto a sheet of nori. Then it slides down the line just like chipotle. They have a cutting machine that slices it perfectly. Add some sauces perhaps, sesame or some roe and voila! I’d love to see a few of these in Columbus, and I tweeted to tell them so. :)

Huh, cool. Color me intrigued.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Fusian Bringing Sushi to South Campus Gateway
    Published on January 24, 2013 9:30 am
    By: Walker

The South Campus Gateway is getting a taste for raw fish next month with the grand opening of FUSIAN, a fast-casual sushi restaurant where you can choose your own ingredients to create your own rolls. The restaurant is the brainchild of brothers (and OSU grads) Zach and Josh Weprin, along with partner Stephan Harman. They launched their first FUSIAN location in Downtown Cincinnati in 2010 with a second location at the University of Dayton.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/fusian-bringing-sushi-to-south-campus-gateway

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

subway, chipotle, piada, fresh 50, fusian. Seems to be a trend? :)

Anyone remember Fuddruckers? Didn’t they have a build your burger type of set up?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    subway, chipotle, piada, fresh 50, fusian. Seems to be a trend? :)

And many many more…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fast_casual_restaurants

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Restaurant Review: Fusian
    Published on March 27, 2013 10:30 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

It had to happen eventually. The Chipotle assembly-line BYOB (build your own burrito) style has invaded practically every eating genre: pizza, pasta, salads and stir-fry… And now the South Campus Gateway has added a restaurant called Fusian, it serves assembly-line sushi.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-review-fusian-ma1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Awesome! FUSIAN just dropped off sushi in our office today for lunch! Thanks guys! :D

pixiecrinkle
    Login to Send PM

Stopped in today for lunch, and it was pretty tasty. I was a little weirded out by the pre-portioned cream cheese as I went down the line, but as I don’t believe in dairy in my sushi, it didn’t bug me.

The fact that the guy slicing rolls at the end of the line implied I was a graduating senior didn’t hurt either. (I’m in my mid-30s.)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?