Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Easton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Easton – News & Updates

This topic contains 107 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  OneBagTravel 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant

btw i’m not saying its perfect .. but it’s a hell of a lot better than Easton Gateway

InnerCore
    Participant

surber17 said:
    its retail, office, and parking garage …. how is that not mixed use?

Sorry, didn’t know about the office space included.

surber17
    Participant

I’m sure you want to see residential included and I’m 100% with you. I would love CU to get a Q/A session with the Easton developers together so we can see what they’re thinking for the future of Easton. There is a lot of open space right next to this development.

jbcmh81
    Participant

surber17 said:
    I’m sure you want to see residential included and I’m 100% with you. I would love CU to get a Q/A session with the Easton developers together so we can see what they’re thinking for the future of Easton. There is a lot of open space right next to this development.

There is a ton of empty land all around Easton. I would also love to hear from developers why they seem to be completely ignoring the residential element, especially with apartments in so high demand right now. Also, I wonder if any of the older existing buildings could be adapted to add residential in the way that the Northstar building did in the Short North.

But yeah, the garage is much better than Easton Gateway and much better than a traditional garage.

InnerCore
    Participant

surber17 said:

Yeah, this site would have been perfect for residential. Imagine 4 – 5 stories of residential above this garage with a rooftop amenities deck pool, bbq, etc. You could walk to plenty of shopping and entertainment options, gym, Trader Joe’s, etc. The main thing lacking would be a larger grocer and some civic establishments like a library.

As you move toward those empty lots you get into a situation where the the street level interaction is going to suck. It doesn’t work as well when you go across the street and build residential only. Look at Easton Commons, it really doesn’t feel like part of the project at all. I know people who lived there and still drove across the street.

Unless they’re going to a need for even more retail they need to figure a way to put the residential into the actual project. They should be using the empty lots for things like getting the Giant Eagle closer to the project so it’s all walkable instead of building on the other side of Stelzer. It’s like their goal is wait another 20 years before they make it walkable.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/02/24/family-friendly-expansion-plan.html

Maybe big plans could be announced this year for more residential?

mrpoppinzs

Would be nice to see.

“I expect the next big wave of development to be primarily residential-oriented,” Flatto said. “ We have had plans for some time to introduce a significant residential component to Easton.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

It would be nice to see some infill on the small parking lots surrounding easton with residential and first floor retail. The apartments across the street are close but they still feel a bit isolated to me.

Pro Se
    Participant

I love the idea of more dense and (hopefully) mixed use residential at Easton but fear it will take away from the central city’s momentum if it is of any meaningful scale.

mrpoppinzs

Pro Se said:
    I love the idea of more dense and (hopefully) mixed use residential at Easton but fear it will take away from the central city’s momentum if it is of any meaningful scale.

I think there is plenty of room for growth at Easton and downtown. I also don’t think the same people who would necessarily be looking at Easton (already an upscale dining and retail Mecca in a faux town setting) would be looking at downtown in its current form. Easton provides a much different experience.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Good news as this is an element that’s really been missing. That said, I doubt that residential will actually be at the Town Center site, but rather in the many vacant areas surrounding the complex, much like the apartments that are already there.

InnerCore
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    It would be nice to see some infill on the small parking lots surrounding easton with residential and first floor retail. The apartments across the street are close but they still feel a bit isolated to me.

I’d love to see that as well but doubt it after seeing the Easton Gateway design. Which is a shame because the surface lots on the west side of the north district have a lot of potential.

You would be inside of the the loop so it would definitely feel walkable. And the residential would give a reason to extend the retail on the west side where it feels more like the backend of the project with no real storefront entrances on Regent st. I would think most of the higher end retails don’t want to be on that street because of the lower pedestrian activity. This could give you an opportunity to bring in things residents would need like dry cleaners, lower priced restaurants and a CVS or Walgreens. That would really start to give Easton and actually “Town Center” feel instead of just a mall.

Then with a decent amount of residential accounted for inside the loop you could go to some of the outside empty lots and bring in a townhome product that’s more suitable for families. Throw in some park space and maybe some type of public private partnership to get some civic uses like a library and you’ve got a really nice community.

surber17
    Participant

I really like the little square they’re putting in. Looks like a nice place to sit outside for a quick lunch.

News
    Participant

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams Expanding to Easton Town Center
    Published on March 1, 2013 12:25 am
    By: Walker

Easton Town Center will soon be getting their very own Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams scoop shop as the company opens its 11th retail location there this year. The new store marks the latest locally-based shop to open or expand to Easton recently, following Northstar Cafe, HOMAGE, Sugardaddy’s and Celebrate Local.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/jenis-splendid-ice-creams-expanding-to-easton-town-center

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

guessing where the yogurt store went out?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.