Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Downtown Wallscape Mural Ads Gone, Why?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Wallscape Mural Ads Gone, Why?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  seanguy 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

seanguy
    Login to Send PM

I was driving through downtown and noticed that the mural ads, wall-scape ads, are no longer up. I noticed this on 3rd and High St. The Orange Barrel signs are still on the walls, but nearly every ad has been taken down and not replaced.

Does anyone have an explanation? I thought ODOT lost their appeal to remove them, but wasn’t sure. Or did the City Council or Downtown Commission express second thoughts on approving more?

Thanks.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not sure.

I’m curious do you work in OOH advertising? Most people wouldn’t use or know the term “wallscape”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

They do change them out from time to time. I assumed they were being rotated in certain places.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JonMyers wrote >>
    Not sure.
    I’m curious do you work in OOH advertising? Most people wouldn’t use or know the term “wallscape”.

Really? I know the term from reading the press about the downtown wallscapes.

JPowell
    JPowell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was looking forward to seeing what Nationwide would come up with next. The spilled paint ad has been there for a while now. I noticed the cell phone on the Connextions building was gone as well.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>
    Not sure.

Really? I know the term from reading the press about the downtown wallscapes.

Right on. I stand corrected..

alove
    Login to Send PM

The spilt paint ad needs to be fully taken down already! Haha

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I wonder if it’s an expense thing… I can see that kind of advert being cut in a down economy – those things have to be super expensive to put up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

jpizzow wrote >>
    I was looking forward to seeing what Nationwide would come up with next.

From what I’ve heard, the creative team at Orange Barrel actually comes up with those wallscape concepts. Nationwide just gives them the thumbs up or down.

Coreroc
    Coreroc
    Login to Send PM

I agree with walker from what I have heard in my talks with Pete S. and Rascoe who actually painted that advertisement.

If the add’s in question are the PBR ones it is my understanding that PBR holds national contests annually to refresh this advertising and has held this open call for 2+ years now. So I would assume that they will be replaced with fresh ad’s in the near future.

seanguy
    Login to Send PM

Not sure.

No I am a political science and economics major (almost done) at OSU and I am applying to grad schools for Public Policy and Urban Analysis.

I don’t post here often but I wouldn’t underestimate the number of individuals that study and have interests in urban areas. And if I did work for them wouldn’t I already know the answer to my question? ;)

Back on the topic. I find it a little too much of a coincidence that nearly all of the large wall-scapes, downtown, are being replaced at once.

I think that some investigating could be done to find the answer. It may be that Orange Barrel is putting all ads on the same timeline and replacing them at once, but this would seem like an odd business decision.

Each ad has to pass the Downtown Commission. The commission would have to spend a lot of time, at one meeting, approving all of the new ads. They usually space out new ad postings (as firms demand ads at differing times and the commission does not like to be bogged down by many ad proposals at once.)

JaredThompson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nationwide has a different CEO now. Could they be taking a more conservative, traditional “on your side” approach to their marketing? (hint)

BTW- Anyone know where I can get a good price on a 20 foot iPod ;)

greenhouse1014
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nationwide is getting ready to kick off a new ad campaign.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

seanguy wrote >>
    I think that some investigating could be done to find the answer.

I just sent an email to Pete Scantland. Will probably hear from him shortly.

seanguy
    Login to Send PM

Cool. Thanks Walker.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?