Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Downtown Hilton Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown Hilton Hotel – News & Updates

This topic contains 159 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 160 total)
  • Author

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MVV said:
    I know, let’s obscure the view of downtown from the most successful part of town. This thing is insulting.

It *is* a bit disappointing to see how this new “HabiTrail” blocks the view to/from downtown into the Short North, however, because of the way Nationwide 1 and the Convention Center Hyatt are positioned they’ve already blocked a good part of the view. Also, it’s not the first skywalk, there’s the Nationwide one that preceeds it.

It’s visually interesting to look at as you drive upon it from the north. Because it is multi-faceted, light strikes the various panes in an interesting way as you drive near and under it. Also, the glass and steel theme matches well with the back part (High St side) of the new building Nationwide is constructing to the south.

It also seems to be high enough to allow plenty of clearance underneath.

I think you have to accept that things like this get built in big cities. If I dare to make the comparison… similar to the Goodale Park fountain, it’s going to take some getting used to, but it should be OK. I suspect that the more angles I view it from the more I’ll get to like it.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

goldenidea said:
    If I dare to make the comparison… similar to the Goodale Park fountain, it’s going to take some getting used to, but it should be OK.

You lost me there :)

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think it looks good. Glad they made it clear glass

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    I think it looks good. Glad they made it clear glass

Most glass is clear…its actually “clear” because the glass is at an angle therefore you don’t get reflections/glare as you do on typical perpendicular windows on buildings (hence why you can see inside buildings at nighttime).

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I just drove under it. For what it is, I think it looks pretty good.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    Most glass is clear…its actually “clear” because the glass is at an angle therefore you don’t get reflections/glare as you do on typical perpendicular windows on buildings (hence why you can see inside buildings at nighttime).

vs. Frosted. Get over yourself

ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Blocked
    Login to Send PM

A few years ago, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a conference we had at the convention center. The hotel was a total dump, and guess what? They didn’t give a shit. Why, you ask? Because they were the ONLY hotel with a connection to the convention center. This bridge, while downtown purists will hate it do two things. One, give the Hyatt Regency competition for once in 30 years. And two, give people attending the conference a heated, easy way to get back and forth from the conference to the hotel.

I think the real benefactor here will be the Char Bar and their $4 Long Islands. As soon as the convention goers realize how cheap the bar is compared to Martini or Hilton, they will be packed.

Pro Se
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Todd Anders: “I think the real benefactor here will be the Char Bar and their $4 Long Islands. As soon as the convention goers realize how cheap the bar is compared to Martini or Hilton, they will be packed”

Yes, Char Bar Long Islands are quite the bargain! Good place…

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m not sure how Char Bar could get any more packed than they already do.. soon they may have Jeni’s style lines down the street waiting for Long Islands!

bjrobinson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    I’m not sure how Char Bar could get any more packed than they already do.. soon they may have Jeni’s style lines down the street waiting for Long Islands!

Agreed. Best Long Islands this side of the Appalachians :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

ToddAnders said:
    I think the real benefactor here will be the Char Bar and their $4 Long Islands. As soon as the convention goers realize how cheap the bar is compared to Martini or Hilton, they will be packed.

Whoa! When was the last time you had a Long Island at Char Bar? I think when I first went there in maybe 2002 they were $6, then eventually $7. Last time I went they were maybe $8, but that was at least a year ago. We are talking about drinking them in the tall hurricane glasses, right?

Teach me your secret password if you’re getting them for $4! ;)

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Whoa! When was the last time you had a Long Island at Char Bar? I think when I first went there in maybe 2002 they were $6, then eventually $7. Last time I went they were maybe $8, but that was at least a year ago. We are talking about drinking them in the tall hurricane glasses, right?

Teach me your secret password if you’re getting them for $4! ;)

Did Walker just admit to knowing WAY too much about Long Islands? ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’ve had my fair share of them. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    vs. Frosted. Get over yourself

Just random info about glass….wasn’t trying to be snarky.

ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Blocked
    Login to Send PM

Yep, that’s the one! Go to the guy with long grey hair always behind the bar (his name escapes me) and just order. I would bring a stack of $5 bills and there was $1 left for the tip. Maybe he didn’t get the price change since 1972!

Hell, it’s been since 2002/03 since I’ve been there. Used to have a Christmas Eve tradition to go down there and meet friends after dinner with the family. Now that we go out of town for the holidays, I haven’t been able to do this in a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?