Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Downtown Hilton Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown Hilton Hotel – News & Updates

This topic contains 159 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #450960

    goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    MVV said:
    I know, let’s obscure the view of downtown from the most successful part of town. This thing is insulting.

    It *is* a bit disappointing to see how this new “HabiTrail” blocks the view to/from downtown into the Short North, however, because of the way Nationwide 1 and the Convention Center Hyatt are positioned they’ve already blocked a good part of the view. Also, it’s not the first skywalk, there’s the Nationwide one that preceeds it.

    It’s visually interesting to look at as you drive upon it from the north. Because it is multi-faceted, light strikes the various panes in an interesting way as you drive near and under it. Also, the glass and steel theme matches well with the back part (High St side) of the new building Nationwide is constructing to the south.

    It also seems to be high enough to allow plenty of clearance underneath.

    I think you have to accept that things like this get built in big cities. If I dare to make the comparison… similar to the Goodale Park fountain, it’s going to take some getting used to, but it should be OK. I suspect that the more angles I view it from the more I’ll get to like it.

    #450961

    geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    goldenidea said:
    If I dare to make the comparison… similar to the Goodale Park fountain, it’s going to take some getting used to, but it should be OK.

    You lost me there :)

    #450962

    ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I think it looks good. Glad they made it clear glass

    #450963

    columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    ricospaz said:
    I think it looks good. Glad they made it clear glass

    Most glass is clear…its actually “clear” because the glass is at an angle therefore you don’t get reflections/glare as you do on typical perpendicular windows on buildings (hence why you can see inside buildings at nighttime).

    #450964
    DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I just drove under it. For what it is, I think it looks pretty good.

    #450965

    ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    columbusmike said:
    Most glass is clear…its actually “clear” because the glass is at an angle therefore you don’t get reflections/glare as you do on typical perpendicular windows on buildings (hence why you can see inside buildings at nighttime).

    vs. Frosted. Get over yourself

    #450966
    ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Blocked
    Login to Send PM

    A few years ago, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a conference we had at the convention center. The hotel was a total dump, and guess what? They didn’t give a shit. Why, you ask? Because they were the ONLY hotel with a connection to the convention center. This bridge, while downtown purists will hate it do two things. One, give the Hyatt Regency competition for once in 30 years. And two, give people attending the conference a heated, easy way to get back and forth from the conference to the hotel.

    I think the real benefactor here will be the Char Bar and their $4 Long Islands. As soon as the convention goers realize how cheap the bar is compared to Martini or Hilton, they will be packed.

    #450967

    Pro Se
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Todd Anders: “I think the real benefactor here will be the Char Bar and their $4 Long Islands. As soon as the convention goers realize how cheap the bar is compared to Martini or Hilton, they will be packed”

    Yes, Char Bar Long Islands are quite the bargain! Good place…

    #450968

    NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I’m not sure how Char Bar could get any more packed than they already do.. soon they may have Jeni’s style lines down the street waiting for Long Islands!

    #450969

    bjrobinson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    NerosNeptune said:
    I’m not sure how Char Bar could get any more packed than they already do.. soon they may have Jeni’s style lines down the street waiting for Long Islands!

    Agreed. Best Long Islands this side of the Appalachians :)

    #450970
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

    ToddAnders said:
    I think the real benefactor here will be the Char Bar and their $4 Long Islands. As soon as the convention goers realize how cheap the bar is compared to Martini or Hilton, they will be packed.

    Whoa! When was the last time you had a Long Island at Char Bar? I think when I first went there in maybe 2002 they were $6, then eventually $7. Last time I went they were maybe $8, but that was at least a year ago. We are talking about drinking them in the tall hurricane glasses, right?

    Teach me your secret password if you’re getting them for $4! ;)

    #450971

    columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Walker said:
    Whoa! When was the last time you had a Long Island at Char Bar? I think when I first went there in maybe 2002 they were $6, then eventually $7. Last time I went they were maybe $8, but that was at least a year ago. We are talking about drinking them in the tall hurricane glasses, right?

    Teach me your secret password if you’re getting them for $4! ;)

    Did Walker just admit to knowing WAY too much about Long Islands? ;)

    #450972
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

    I’ve had my fair share of them. ;)

    #450973

    columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    ricospaz said:
    vs. Frosted. Get over yourself

    Just random info about glass….wasn’t trying to be snarky.

    #450974
    ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Blocked
    Login to Send PM

    Yep, that’s the one! Go to the guy with long grey hair always behind the bar (his name escapes me) and just order. I would bring a stack of $5 bills and there was $1 left for the tip. Maybe he didn’t get the price change since 1972!

    Hell, it’s been since 2002/03 since I’ve been there. Used to have a Christmas Eve tradition to go down there and meet friends after dinner with the family. Now that we go out of town for the holidays, I haven’t been able to do this in a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?