Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grand Illumination - Downtown Holiday Lights Festival

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Grand Illumination – Downtown Holiday Lights Festival

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

sciotomile
    Participant

Grand Illumination Ceremony
    Friday, December 2nd
    Bicentennial Park
    5 PM

Join Mayor Michael B. Coleman for a celebration of the holiday season and Grand Illumination of Bicentennial Park, the Scioto Mile Promenade, City Hall and Columbus Commons. Activities begin at 5 PM with ceremony at 6 PM.

Enjoy strolling performers, traditional carols and a special appearance by Santa! In the spirit of giving, support the Empty Bowls project by purchasing a piece of handcrafted pottery and receive a bowl of signature mac ‘n cheese compliments of Milestone 229. All proceeds benefit the Mid-Ohio Foodbank.

Culminate the evening with a holiday lights walking tour led by Mayor Coleman and Santa, departing from Bicentennial Park, strolling along the Promenade and concluding at Columbus Commons. Complimentary hot beverages and holiday sweets will be available along the walking tour.

Parking: Front St. and Rich St. parking garage, area surface lots and meters

http://www.SciotoMile.com

Grand Illumination
    Downtown Columbus
    Dec. 3, 2011 through Jan. 15, 2012
    Dusk to dawn

Celebrate the season as Downtown Columbus comes alive during the holidays. Twinkling lights and a holiday tree will greet visitors at City Hall where children can drop off that special letter at Santa’s workshop. Columbus Commons comes alive with lighted displays to delight the young and young at heart. Stroll along the illuminated Scioto Mile Promenade to Bicentennial Park where penguins, snowmen and Santa will welcome visitors to a winter wonderland. Stop in Milestone 229 to warm up with a hot beverage and dinner while enjoying a panoramic view of the park and downtown skyline.

Parking: Front St. and Rich St. parking garage, area surface lots and meters

http://www.SciotoMile.com

byJody
    Participant

More lights, more action Downtown?
    Scioto Mile, Columbus Commons to join holiday light show
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch Sunday November 27, 2011 6:23 AM

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/27/more-lights-more-action-downtown.html

5pm Festivities begin at Bicentennial Park;
    6pm Guest of Honor arrives via Pedicab!
    Following the Grand Illumination is a Walking Tour led by Mayor Coleman and the Special Guest which ends at Columbus Commons.
    6pm-8pm Free carousel rides and hot chocolate at Columbus Commons

AmyJ
    Participant

This sounds really fantastic.

AmyJ
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

yeah, I went to the one in Louisville on Friday, and there’s was spectacular. I hope ours is as good.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

It will be better :D

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Grand Illumination Festival Takes Place Downtown on Friday
    By: Walker

Thanks to the magic of daylight saving time, it currently starts getting dark around 4pm. But Downtown is going to be getting a whole lot brighter at night as over 180,000 holidays lights come on this Friday evening for the first ever Grand Illumination celebration.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/grand-illumination-festival-takes-place-downtown-on-friday

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! Tonight! Can’t wait for this! :D The kids are gonna love it! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Stephen43215 said:
    I think someone is going to get fired over the lighting ceremony at the Scioto Mile..The mayor was stalling while waiting for more lights to come on..on the other hand, Columbus Commons looks very festive!!

I think you might be right…

I was really hyped up to see this, and the actual flipping of the switch was kind of a let down.

That being said, the lights at Columbus Commons were really nice and it was great to see a lot of people out and about. MoJoe and Milestone both looked busy too. We need more casual restaurants in the area. Maybe some places to do some Christmas Shopping too…

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

pictures?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I loved the lights at Columbus Commons.

The programming for Grand Illumination seemed a bit too long for an event with so many kids.

JazzFestAllNite
    Participant

We had a great time down there with our 2 year old but it was not due to the “Grand” illumination. Reminded me of Clark Griswold plugging his lights in before realizing they all ran through the switch in the garage.

Columbus Commons looks great & the free Merry Go Round rides were a big hit. I guess we were expecting to be blinded by the 100k+ lights, seemed like Coleman felt the same way.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

This is the first year for something like this to happen in downtown Columbus; over time they can add and readjust to make it a better experience. We did have a good time downtown and enjoyed seeing all the people out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice photos!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.