Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

Downtown Business Plan Update - 2/3 10am

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings Downtown Business Plan Update – 2/3 10am

This topic contains 34 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Just got this notice yesterday. And it’s for today. And it started 40 minutes ago. Anyway……

Press Release:

City, County and Downtown Stakeholders to Discuss Progress of 2002 Business Plan and Future of Downtown

Mayor Michael B. Coleman will join a group of downtown business owners, developers, retailers and advocates on Wednesday, February 3 at 10:00 a.m. to discuss the progress of the Downtown Business Plan launched in 2002 and next steps for bringing new investment, people and activity to the central business district.

The Mayor will be joined by County Commission President John O’Grady, City Councilmember Andrew J. Ginther, Guy Worley of Capital South and the Columbus Downtown Development Corporation, Cleve Ricksecker, Executive Director of the Capital Crossroads and Discovery District SIDs, Michael DeAscentis of Lifestyle Communities, and Alex Shumate, CDDC Board member for presentations.

Community Update on Downtown Development

Wednesday, February 3

10:00 a.m.

COSI – 333 West Broad Street

WOSU Studios on First Floor

Elizabeth Lessner
    Elizabeth Lessner
    Login to Send PM

Wonder why no downtown residents are part of this group?

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lizless wrote >>

No doubt they were separately and specially invited, way in advance!

gk
    Login to Send PM

roy wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

No doubt they were separately and specially invited, way in advance!

How would CU readers assess the progress made in downtown Columbus since 2002 and what do you think needs to happen to bring new investment, people and activity downtown? Apparently, the mayor’s office reads the comments and thoughts on CU, so here’s our chance to add to the meeting.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Elizabeth Lessner
    Login to Send PM

I am really interested in what the downtown residents are thinking. They are our customers and they are the ones who have truly invested their lives in the future of our downtown. The businesses need the residents and the residents need new businesses.

gk
    Login to Send PM

lizless wrote >>
    I am really interested in what the downtown residents are thinking. They are our customers and they are the ones who have truly invested their lives in the future of our downtown. The businesses need the residents and the residents need new businesses.

I too am a downtown resident for many years. However, I would think that many of your customers are also downtown workers who spend entire careers downtown. Whatever happen to the idea that downtown should be everyone’s neighborhood.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

gk wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

I too am a downtown resident for many years. However, I would think that many of your customers are also downtown workers who spend entire careers downtown. Whatever happen to the idea that downtown should be everyone’s neighborhood.

I don’t think anyone’s saying it isn’t…but asking why there are no downtown residents on the downtown business plan meeting seems like a pretty reasonable question…

gk
    Login to Send PM

Core_Models wrote >>

gk wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

I don’t think anyone’s saying it isn’t…but asking why there are no downtown residents on the downtown business plan meeting seems like a pretty reasonable question…

Mayor Coleman is a downtown resident these days. What better advocate could we have as a downtown resident.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

You really want a list?

Elizabeth Lessner
    Elizabeth Lessner
    Login to Send PM

Yep, my question is simply why aren’t DT residents included in the discussion? If businesses were excluded, I’d ask the same thing. I’m simply viewing it from a holistic approach. I think both voices bring a lot to the discussion.

gk
    Login to Send PM

Core_Models wrote >>
    You really want a list?

In terms of influence, that is.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

gk wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

As of now it’s “everyone’s neighborhood” as long as you’re out by 6pm. We owe a lot to the few business owners that have given those of us who live in downtown neighborhoods, but work in the ‘burbs, a chance to enjoy it. It doesn’t feel like “our neighborhood” when those interests aren’t represented at these planning meetings.

gk
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>

gk wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

As of now it’s “everyone’s neighborhood” as long as you’re out by 6pm. We owe a lot to the few business owners that have given those of us who live in downtown neighborhoods, but work in the ‘burbs, a chance to enjoy it. It doesn’t feel like “our neighborhood” when those interests aren’t represented at these planning meetings.

Are you saying that the mayor as a downtown resident does not represent our interests?

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

I think it would be safe to say that the Mayor is in a position of having to represent many interests, the least of which is that of downtown resident.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Are you saying the mayor is the be all end all decision maker in this city? If that were the case we’d have streetcars by now. And I haven’t seen one yet – or do they turn in to taxis after 6?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.