Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Does Ohio Have the Best Year-Round Weather in the US?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Does Ohio Have the Best Year-Round Weather in the US?

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

With an average of 2184 hours of sunshine per year, we’re almost dead last in the US beating only Seattle (by 10 hours) and Pittsburgh (by 161 hours). Mainly the winter clouds are where we lose, since summer is fine.

mkhbuckeye
    Login to Send PM

bastardsuperstar wrote >>
    ohdeargodno . . .
    have you not noticed that the columbus-sky crayola box has 64 shades of gray?

Dont get me wrong I love the seasons… but there is something about day after day of gloomy grey skies that made me laugh at this discussion title.
    http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/cloudiest-cities.php

billiejean
    billiejean
    Login to Send PM

I would agree with the shades of grey comment. Don’t get me wrong. I love Columbus. I think it’s a fantastic city. However, the weather is definitely not a selling point in my opinion.

That and the obesity rates in Columbus… yuck…………….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

It’s true that when measuring sunny days vs cloudy days, we’re not going to come out on top.

The point of the original article (if anyone bothered to read it up top) is that many of the sunniest cities in the south never see snow at all. They never have white Christmases, and they don’t offer winter recreation. Summertime in the sun belt can be oppressive and extreme heatwaves can keep people trapped indoors during what are supposed to be the nicest months of the year.

I guess “good weather” is a relative term, but I think there’s something to be said for having a variety with your seasons.

anillo
    anillo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

HELL to the no…have you ever been to the SF Bay Area?
    (insofar as getting all 4 seasons, we’re pretty good at that…but I despise winter so I’m never going to think Cbus has the best weather in the US)

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The point of the original article (if anyone bothered to read it up top) is that many of the sunniest cities in the south never see snow at all. They never have white Christmases, and they don’t offer winter recreation.

…right. The answer is “no.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

anillo wrote >>

I was there in February and it was rainy and cold and miserable. It was also during a weird week here in Ohio where it shot up to 50 degrees, so it was warmer here. ;)

I love San Francisco, but the way the evenings turn chilly in the summer is annoying to me.

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

anillo wrote >>

I was there in February and it was rainy and cold and miserable.

Columbus has that too. It’s called “spring.”

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

anillo wrote >>

I was there in February and it was rainy and cold and miserable. It was also during a weird week here in Ohio where it shot up to 50 degrees, so it was warmer here. ;)
    I love San Francisco, but the way the evenings turn chilly in the summer is annoying to me.

The clime in NoCal is beautifully moderated by the pacific coast current, but yeah its downright nippy in the evenings even in summer. You don’t get as many “bbq on the patio in shorts” warm summer nights we get here. Last time I was there in dead midsummer it was just too chilly to enjoy the evenings without a jacket and a good hot drink (Irish Coffee was the bev of choice that week). That cold cold ocean water really does the trick there in the bay. On the other hand you don’t need to run the AC to cool the house down at night! NoCal is a lovely area if you don’t mind occasional earthquakes and don’t want much seasonal variation.

There seem to be two kinds of people: those who desire seasonal variation and those who do not. I submit these two kinds of people would never agree on what the “best” climate is.

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    There seem to be two kinds of people: those who desire seasonal variation and those who do not. I submit these two kinds of people would never agree on what the “best” climate is.

Tsk tsk… conflating climate and weather…

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JimL2 wrote >>
    Tsk tsk… conflating climate and weather…

Nope. I meant precisely what I wrote.

mt448
    mt448
    Login to Send PM

All I know is this: I am on Spring Break this week from work, so naturally there will be wind, some chilly weather, and of course, rain…in the forecast! It’s simply inevitable :) But, there is nothing like curling up with a good book on an overcast day, so Ohioans should be well-read :)

Schoolboy
    Schoolboy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

i love central columbus’ weather

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JimL2 wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

anillo wrote >>

I was there in February and it was rainy and cold and miserable.

I don’t Jim, you can’t say every day in spring is rainy and cold and miserable. For example, today was windy, cold and miserable.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

JimL2 wrote >>

Grumpers gonna grump.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?