Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Does Ohio Have the Best Year-Round Weather in the US?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Does Ohio Have the Best Year-Round Weather in the US?

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Great post (below) from RustWire.com about the year-round weather of our region. I do agree that we should enjoy the fact that our summers are summers and our winters are winters. I think our Springs and Falls leave a bit to be desired, but the year-round variety is something that many take for granted. Definitely something I’d prefer to hear less whining about in general, though folks on CU seem to enjoy our snow days more than most people. ;)

Rust Belt Weather 180: Can We Call it an Asset?

14 APRIL 2011

Here’s an affordable idea that we can put to use to immediately make our region a more enjoyable and attractive place to live. We need to straighten out our thinking about our weather – stop complaining about it – start enjoying it and making it a selling point. When locals complain about the weather, visitors and new comers pick up on it. We need to set aside all the moaning we’ve heard (and done) our whole lives. Let’s take a clear-eyed look at the weather in the Rust Belt, especially it’s Snow Belt (Gary to Grand Rapids and Cleveland to Syracuse), and learn to appreciate what we have here.

READ MORE: http://rustwire.com/2011/04/14/rust-belt-weather-180-can-we-call-it-an-asset/

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Columbus isn’t bad. We’re sheltered here from the majority of the lake effect snow. It’s rarely abusively hot in the summers (100+), and rarely abusively cold (-10) in the winters. Pretty moderate compared to a lot of places I’ve spent time. Humidity tends to be rather high in the summers, which is a problem, but not as bad as a lot of places.

Northern ohio has a snow problem though. Until lake erie freezes over in the winters it just dumps up there. Unfortunately, lake erie doesn’t always freeze over quickly anymore. :(

so on the whole, yeah, I totally agree climate is an asset for us more than a detriment. Models suggest our growing season will increase too, which is a positive. Unfortunately the summer humidity is expected to also increase, as well as the likelihood of severe weather of various types as climate shifts, including increased snow in northern Ohio and more frequent ice storms.

billiejean
    billiejean
    Login to Send PM

I would argue for Charleston like weather… our Springs and Falls tend to skip the nice 70s weather. It’s either 60s or 80s… when it is 70s, it typically is pouring rain lol…

I’m all for making lemonade out of lemons but it’s hard to be enthusiastic about winter when we don’t have any good terrain to snowboard on. Don’t mean to be a debbie downer lol

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

billiejean wrote >>
    I would argue for Charleston like weather…

depends which Charleston you mean. Summer in the SC version is utterly swampy. The WV version is pretty ok.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This is a good point. I went to Naples, Florida in early August a few years ago. Never again.

I don’t love the cold but I recognize that it’s not bad here compared to Boston, Chicago, or Minneapolis.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

billiejean wrote >>
    I’m all for making lemonade out of lemons but it’s hard to be enthusiastic about winter when we don’t have any good terrain to snowboard on.

Central Ohio is pretty flat, but you don’t have to drive far to find some hills.

http://www.skimadriver.com

http://www.snowtrails.com

billiejean
    billiejean
    Login to Send PM

I usually get season passes to mad river and snow trails each year but after a while, you can pretty much blaze down blindfolded lol

Oh and the cold in Chicago and Boston… is… terrible. I could never do it. I do love Chicago vacationing though :D

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

Hahahaha, no.

cyclist II
    cyclist II
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

no

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t miss the nor’easters and strings of hurricanes from the coast. Don’t miss the massive blizzards, either. Would NEVER ponder a move anywhere with a low elevation or without a reliable water supply, so that rules out Miami and Los Angeles. I could use a little more sunshine, but otherwise this is pretty good.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The only time of year I can’t stand in Ohio is February. Good thing it’s only 28 days. I will say, if it’s going to be cold, I would prefer to have lots of snow on the ground – so much nicer to look at than frozen brown grass.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I enjoyed the change of seasons right after moving back from Northern California about six years ago. Now I just want perpetual Fall.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Seasonal weather makes me think of the cyclical nature of life/death. I like it. Mesopotamia, Isis, Osiris and Confluence Park!

bastardsuperstar
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ohdeargodno . . .

have you not noticed that the columbus-sky crayola box has 64 shades of gray?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I looks pretty blue out today. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?