Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

This topic contains 88 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by groundrules groundrules 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    melikecheese
    melikecheese
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I probably won’t miss it too much, they were jerks, and once they let Wes F start writing I pretty much stopped reading it, which oddly enough is the same reason I stopped going to donewaiting, and was surprised to see that’s still around.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

melikecheese said:
    I probably won’t miss it too much, they were jerks, and once they let Wes F start writing I pretty much stopped reading it, which oddly enough is the same reason I stopped going to donewaiting, and was surprised to see that’s still around.

DoneWaiting is supposedly going print only…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/donewaiting-going-print-only-in-2013

Gil Ligg
    Login to Send PM

The Alive is a horrible newspaper. It’s all ads and fluff and hipster crap. At least The Other Paper was readable and had some investigative reporting. It had somewhat of an edge to it. I found John Petric’s music reviews to be hilarious.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Gil Ligg said:
    I found John Petric’s music reviews to be hilarious.

You don’t say?

sirlancelot
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

As others have said, no big surprise The Dispatch is dispatching The Other Paper. The Alive is marketed toward young adults (ages 18-30) and therefore news coverage (if you can call it news) is entertainment, restaraunt and sports oriented. I hope the Alive will continue some features from TOP such as News Of The Weird. Bottom line is that commercial publications must make a profit or cease. The problem with the Columbus market, for truely independent media, is political. If one publishes controversial opinions, one riskes pissing off potential advertisers. I hope that Outlook Media, already controversial but with a secure market segment, can fill the alt void.

P.S. Don’t be surprised if The Columbus Dispatch eventually decides to discontinue their daily print edition, to focus on 3-4 days a week (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and maybe Friday). Other major newspapers are doing this with their print editions.

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

^ Sounds like the Plain Dealer may be first for partial week print editions…

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138334n

SayHey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    We’ve got no current plans to step backward into print media. ;)

Understandable. But I hope you pick up the Other paper’s mantle of providing an “other” view of the important issues in Columbus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

SayHey said:
    Understandable. But I hope you pick up the Other paper’s mantle of providing an “other” view of the important issues in Columbus.

We’ve always provided our own opinions and views on topics in the cities. Perhaps we’re not snarky and controversial enough for some, but we’re independent and provide an outlet for anyone to share their opinions here in a way that no other local media outlet does.

We’re also poised for some rapid growth over the next 12-18 months, and some of that includes bringing on new journalism positions. Nothing too “political” to start, but we will be diving deeper into a lot of different areas in due time.

AmyD
    AmyD
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That’s really great, Walker! It makes me happy when nice people are successful.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

AmyD said:
    It makes me happy when nice people are successful.

Back atcha! ;)

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I already wrote this story once
    Posted on January 24, 2013
    by Jeff Long

“It is a sad fact—but a fact nonetheless—that economic trends in the nation are threatening and killing once-healthy newspapers.” Yes, indeed, very sad. And whence came that pearl of wisdom? From the Columbus Dispatch, in an editorial lamenting the death of the Columbus Citizen-Journal on the last day of 1985.

READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_12481a98-6644-11e2-8559-0019bb2963f4.html

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Goodbye Columbus: The Other Paper to Discontinue Publication
    January 31, 2013
    by Steve Brown
    89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor

Since it was founded 23 years, The Other Paper has never been shy about addressing anything. It’s taken on local news anchors, featured a popular column called “That’s So Gay” about the LGBT scene called, and broken plenty of serious stories. That all ends today as the paper’s final issue hits newsstands.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/01/31/final-issue-of-the-other-paper-hits-newsstands/

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The paper that Buck built
    Thursday, January 31, 2013
    by Eric Lyttle

At the time, Rinehart was in the midst of one of his many firestorms. News broke that he’d separated from his wife and rumors swirled that an “other woman” was at the heart of the announcement that he would not seek a third term as mayor.

READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_ca05f664-6bda-11e2-acc1-001a4bcf887a.html

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It was a good last issue. Still hoping something replaces it.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Any thoughts on the crazy ads in the last issue, the fracking and Fitrakis ones were bizarre and incomprehensible.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?