Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

This topic contains 88 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by groundrules groundrules 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

^There’s way too much hyperbole in today’s culture. They’re cloning it to try and sound like they relate to people. Everything today is “The best _________ EVER.”

susank
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    ^There’s way too much hyperbole in today’s culture. They’re cloning it to try and sound like they relate to people. Everything today is “The best _________ EVER.”

+1

tolemac5050
    tolemac5050
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anyone remember The Guardian? We had 3 free weeklys!!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

RBloodworth said:
    Ah, Damon Zex and magic mushrooms. A proper daily diet for a mid-’90s high school misfit.

This! :)

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TomP301 said:
    This. As soon as Dispatch bought Columbus Monthly the insightful and thoughtful reporting and essays in that publication, that really helped create a feel for the soul of the city, were replaced 100% by fluff, mainly food and drink promos……

I have noticed the same decline in quality. The old CM published good investigative pieces – not so anymore. I rarely pick up a Dispatch publication any more.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

captain janks is back!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

NDaEast said:
    This makes a very strong case for the return of public access television to Columbus: the people need alternative mass media outlets.

What would public access tv do that youtube can’t?

drawrobot
    drawrobot
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If I had to rank them, yeah the Other Paper would be at the bottom tier of print alt-weeklies with the (pre-buyout) Alive. The upper tier being the Guardian, which I think I caught on the tail end of it’s demise when I moved here for school.

Even though newsprint’s going the way of the dodo, I’ll still be nostalgic for it.

Jim Lauwers
    Jim Lauwers
    Login to Send PM

whoah

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sorry for the tangent, but I just noticed that “last poster” on the front page sidebar and “last poster” on the forum view sometimes say different things for the same user (i.e., Jim’s full name is on the front page sidebar—at least, until I click “submit”). Is that intentional/desired behavior, Walker?

(And yes, in part I’m posting this here because it’ll cover up Jim’s name for the moment, just in case the answer is “no.”)

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

That happens when people have a messageboard username and a news article username.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anne said:
    That happens when people have a messageboard username and a news article username.

Thank you! I was just scrolling through my preferences trying to figure it out.

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on….

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear this. I’ve been a big fan of TOP since it started, and still enjoyed it even during the Dispatch era.

The Alive was only ever readable during a brief period in the early 2000′s… and judging by their recent staff pictures, they are now a zero diversity outfit.

Not that I’m volunteering, but it seems like the time is right for a new alt-weekly to launch. Anyone else remember “HOOT”?

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This isn’t a shocker really, but , a newspaper can’t be given away, and capture enough eyeballs (attention) to keep advertisers?

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I miss the Teet.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?