Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Dispatch Contemplates Going Pay/Subscription for Online Content

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Contemplates Going Pay/Subscription for Online Content

This topic contains 294 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 8 months ago.

Tagged

dispatch

media

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 297 total)
  • Author
    my medium is dying
    my medium is dying
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    So, after yesterday’s laugh with the Dispatch, I find out that they didn’t send a reporter to cover last night’s highly important Downtown Strategic Plan Meeting because it took place after 5pm.
    Wow.
    I had no idea that we were still living in a world where non-crime newsworthiness punches out at 5 o’clock.

I also tweeted this to you, but I’ll say it again: Reporters ALWAYS spend many nights away from their families at some stupid meeting. That is our lifeblood.

I don’t know the circumstances of the Dispatch situation, but everyone in the media is working their asses off, and missing one stupid planning meeting is not indicative of anything.

I’m feeling jumpy and defensive because reporter ranks are so thin and you’re making it sound like we punch out at 5 because we are lazy or uncaring or something?!?! WE HAVEN’T HAD A RAISE IN A HUNDRED YEARS — LEAVE US ALONE!

Ok, I’m done being grouchy now. Just my two cents.

Whoever told you that thing about “no non-crime stories after five” might be misinformed.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

my medium is dying wrote >>
    …missing one stupid planning meeting is not indicative of anything.

Isn’t it pretty to think so.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

…some stupid meeting.

I can only speak for myself, but I thought it was a pretty significant meeting.

Anyway, I saw a lot of people in attendance who were also spending time away from their families FOR FREE to contribute input into shaping the future of the city. Surely the Big D could have sent at least one PAID reporter to cover the event?

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote
    Anyway, I saw a lot of people in attendance who were also spending time away from their families FOR FREE to contribute input into shaping the future of the city. Surely the Big D could have sent at least one PAID reporter to cover the event?

I am not a big fan of the Dispatch, but this does come across as biting the hand that has fed you in the past when you and CU have not been present. i do think that the beat reporters are taxed for time and underpaid as well as have families of their own who may often suffer for a story.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

back on subject………

I find going to the dispatch fairly frustrating.

1) When I access it from work I often get blocked warnings from going through the corporate filter.
    2) It always opens some ad window under my browsers. After reading a few articles I have a good amount of flashing ads running.
    3) The final kicker was Tuesday. When I went there to get a coupon.
    I logged on, clicked on the coupon link and it immediately took me to a ‘sign up for account page ‘saying that this is content you need to have an account for.
    It gave me two options. Pay money or create an account with your subscription.

Well I already have a subscription account. So when I tried to create an account with my subscription, it admonished me that I could only create one login account.

So I logged back in. Clicked on the link and it sent me back to the ‘sign up for account page’.
    arrrgh.

Yeah, infinite loop.

I really really really hate their site.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cc wrote >>

Walker wrote

I am not a big fan of the Dispatch, but this does come across as biting the hand that has fed you in the past when you and CU have not been present. i do think that the beat reporters are taxed for time and underpaid as well as have families of their own who may often suffer for a story.

Perhaps… but, hey… the Dispatch could always just link to CU on this one… :-)

Walker’s write up of the meeting and subsequent responsiveness is a great example of why I come to CU. Some of the graphics that were presented at the meeting were posted, I asked to look at them in greater detail, and Walker provided a link to a PDF of the planners ENTIRE PRESENTATION… which was fascinating.

So… not only did the D not make the meeting, but if they had, it’s pretty safe to say that they wouldn’t have provided the additional information as a result of a remark in the comments section (AS IF!).

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

@Drew

That is exactly what I was going on about upstream. Had the Dispatch covered the meeting, their coverage (on-line and print) would have been exactly like it was 20 yrs ago – no depth, no link to further info, no follow-up.

It is pointless though. All we get is the continual whining from the press about why we should be ever-so-gratefully paying for the incompetent job they do do, when they do it.

A.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@Andrew Hall – Spot on. And I have to wonder… Teet’s notion that the press needs to tell us what we need to be paying attention to… does this include them completely ignoring a meeting that unveils the city’s plan for the entire freaking city core?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

cc wrote >>
    I am not a big fan of the Dispatch, but this does come across as biting the hand that has fed you in the past when you and CU have not been present.

I’m really not trying to be malicious here, so please don’t mistake my small critique for anything bigger than it is: a one-time concern that the biggest media outlet in town failed to cover a very significant public meeting planning event.

In the end, I *wanted* them to be there. I *wanted* them to cover it in whatever manner they saw fit, and I *wanted* them to share the information at that meeting with their audience. Hell, I *wanted* to link to to their story in addition to our coverage.

This has nothing to do with some sort of imaginary CU-vs-Dispatch drama. I’ve always valued the Dispatch for what it is, despite any personal opinion I may have about some of the bits and parts.

JohnRClem
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Unless the Dispatch has money invested in it or are trying to control it they don’t spend much time covering it. For example, the Crew get second class treatment to the Blue Jackets in the paper since the Dispatch is an investor in the Blue Jackets. Yeah they cover the Crew, but if they were part owners they wouldn’t treat it like it was a red headed step child.

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

drew wrote >>
    @Andrew Hall – Spot on. And I have to wonder… Teet’s notion that the press needs to tell us what we need to be paying attention to… does this include them completely ignoring a meeting that unveils the city’s plan for the entire freaking city core?

Wow, I just looked at this thread this morning and my head hasn’t quite stopped spinning yet.

This attitude combined with the inability to cover what people do think is important is exactly why the Dispatch will fail and smaller niche sites will take over.

I mean it’s hard enough for newspapers to survive even when they do care about covering the news.

my medium is dying
    my medium is dying
    Login to Send PM

Just as a side note, I didn’t see ANYONE from CU at the South-western City Schools Board of Education meeting I attended in August 2009.

At this meeting, board members approved putting a tax increase on the ballot that was VERY IMPORTANT to a whole district of residents. The second-largest district in the state, in fact.

FAIL.

I’m just messing with you people now because you are impossible. But that is why I love you, now, isn’t it?

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Just as a side note, I didn’t see ANYONE from CU at the South-western City Schools Board of Education meeting I attended in August 2009.

You may not have noticed anyone from CU there, but I don’t expect that Walker, or anyone else here would characterize it as “some dumb meeting”.

This is the problem I have. If you are supposed to “tell us what’s important”, then you better damn well cover the high points.

berdawn
    Login to Send PM

JohnRClem wrote >>
    Unless the Dispatch has money invested in it or are trying to control it they don’t spend much time covering it. For example, the Crew get second class treatment to the Blue Jackets in the paper since the Dispatch is an investor in the Blue Jackets. Yeah they cover the Crew, but if they were part owners they wouldn’t treat it like it was a red headed step child.

The D covers the Crew like red-headed step child on a GOOD day.

my medium is dying
    my medium is dying
    Login to Send PM

michaelcoyote wrote >> If you are supposed to “tell us what’s important”

“Who are you quoting?”

Could it be possible that the Dispatch NOT being there and CU being there might elevate the “importance” of said event … on CU, anyway?

But I guess that’s the difference between CU and the Dispatch.

It’s not news when CU is not covering an event. If the Big D fails to appear, there is chatter.

That is how you will know when you have arrived, Walker. By not showing up.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?