Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Dispatch Contemplates Going Pay/Subscription for Online Content

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Contemplates Going Pay/Subscription for Online Content

This topic contains 294 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 8 months ago.

Tagged

dispatch

media

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 297 total)
  • Author
    agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

funny stuff

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

That is glorious.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker, not that you would sell, but – they should buy CU…

Alright, let the **groans** begin.

JaredThompson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JonMyers wrote >>

Part of what I enjoy about CU is that the advertising is actually relevant to me, the reader.

gramarye
    gramarye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Part of what I enjoy about CU is that the comments are actually relevant to me, the reader and commenter.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

gramarye wrote >>
    Part of what I enjoy about CU is that the comments are actually relevant to me, the reader and commenter.

+1 and then some.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JonMyers wrote >>

lol – I agree. I would never want Walker to sell. But that doesn’t change the fact that if the Dispatch were smart, they would buy it.

Talcott
    Talcott
    Login to Send PM

This Twitter post from FakeAPStylebook seems appropriate:

@FakeAPStylebook “Crank file” is archaic; use instead “comments on our online articles.”

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JonMyers wrote >>

Really, you should make it harder for Walker to come up with April Fools Day stories, not easier.

That said, I’m wondering what the Dispatch would garner much from a sale like that. I’m guessing not much. Part of what what makes CU great is Walker managing the site (perhaps “shepherding” is a better word) and the contributors that he manages to attract. That would be gone if the Dispatch bought the site outright.

The other big part that makes CU great is the community, and I have no idea how we might react as a group.

EmZeeGee
    EmZeeGee
    Login to Send PM

I think part of using social media is knowing how to use it correctly, and that’s something many older institutions (including the Dispatch) don’t get. Beyond the atrocious and depressing comments section (of which I’ve been the target, so I know whereof I speak), Lisathewaitress has noted that the Dispatch doesn’t seem to know how to find its @ replies on Twitter. (Or they know how, but they’re not responding to them.) I think that’s a small example of the lack of understanding that there’s a new paradigm, not just a new medium. You can’t just put stuff out there and not reply or interact. If you try to use Twitter as a souped-up headline distributor, it’s really not social media. There’s a hollow core, and your followers will recognize that.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well, I am happy to report that @DispatchEditor does, indeed, know how to respond to tweets. After 14 hours and three proddings, he finally responded!

So. I think they are now completely vindicated. Clearly they have the social media thing down pat!

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    Well, I am happy to report that @DispatchEditor does, indeed, know how to respond to tweets. After 14 hours and three proddings, he finally responded!
    So. I think they are now completely vindicated. Clearly they have the social media thing down pat!

hahaha, it only took him 3 tries :-D

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

michaelcoyote wrote >>

lisathewaitress wrote >>

hahaha, it only took him 3 tries :-D

teeheehee, funny

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

So, after yesterday’s laugh with the Dispatch, I find out that they didn’t send a reporter to cover last night’s highly important Downtown Strategic Plan Meeting because it took place after 5pm.

Wow.

I had no idea that we were still living in a world where non-crime newsworthiness punches out at 5 o’clock.

LBOWACC
    Login to Send PM

Wow, that was a jab by the dispatch. Sell out CU ask to be kept on as dispatch salaried employee to run the website. Bigger operating budget as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?