Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Dining options in South Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining options in South Columbus?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  catnfiddle 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

cheap
    Login to Send PM

did Shades restaurant on S High close?

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Shades is open as far as I know, but it always looks a little desolate. Is it tasty?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s probably too far out of your way, but City BBQ opened a location on stringtown in grove city.

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m trying to find locations that wouldn’t require a commute to another part of town, so that’s outside of the range.

patient_zero
    patient_zero
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I had high hopes for Explorers Club, but it failed to woo me like in years past. There. I had to get that off my chest. Some of the others interest me, especially Bangkok and Dan’s Drive In.

If you want to bring your own bread and condiments, you can pick up some tasty Thurn’s deli and make sandwiches that day, or pick some up on your way home for Friday’s lunch. And maybe some headcheese and smoked gouda for Meatmastermike.

Their hours are:
    Thu-Fri 8 am – 6 pm
    Sat 7 am – 1 pm

cheap
    Login to Send PM

Shades had good food the last time i was there

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sloppy Joes at Double D’s Pub.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

SusanB said:

Not too far:

http://alteatscolumbus.com/2010/03/20/bangkok//quote

+5 million billion on Bangkok. Best Thai in Columbus IMHO.

Go past Bangkok a half mile east and try Erawan Thai, incredible.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@Walker, I can’t believe you mentioned the KFC/A&W but failed to mention the Long John’s Sliver’s!
    Not sure how close you are to Great Southern, but the Kroger over there is fairly nice (at least last time I was in a few years ago so grain of salt) so might be worth checking out for grab and go items.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The A&W part of the KFC/A&W closed over a year ago, no more tasty cheese curds or root beer floats, just chicken.
    Shades seems to me to be the south side equivalent of Stan’s. Anytime I drive past after say, 5pm, they are closed.

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You could get something from Thurns if it is a thursday or friday.

Columbusneon
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

China City Buffet next to the Mexican restaurant is actually pretty good, and clean. I also recommend Ohio Deli, Dan’s, Rice Bowl. I haven’t eaten at a Ponderosa in probably 13-14 years. Not sure if it’s as good as it was then, but they used to have excellent chicken wings.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Columbusneon said:
    I haven’t eaten at a Ponderosa in probably 13-14 years. Not sure if it’s as good as it was then, but they used to have excellent chicken wings.

Ponderosa was a special treat when we were kids. Loved it.

I’ve eaten at one maybe two times around five or six years ago, and it’s either gone down hill, or my memories as a kid don’t jive with my tastes as an adult. Everything seems as if it’s been dumped out of a bulk food can and into the warming dishes on the buffet. Boxed mashed potatoes with boxed gravy and a side of canned green beans? I’ll pass.

melikecheese
    melikecheese
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah not too much as you can see, I like Rice Bowl and Ohio Deli. So glad someone brought up Bangkok, I went there like 8 years ago recalled having some awesome noodles, but forgot where I went and could never find it!

Most of the dining scene / cool kids / food trucks largely ignore the entire south end below German Village..cough cough, opportunity…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I regret never having been to a Ponderosa and feel out of balance with life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?