Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

This topic contains 176 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Jeftrokat Jeftrokat 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Attorney: Ohio State University Student Struck By Dump Truck Loses Leg
    Wednesday September 26, 2012 5:28 PM

A teenager remained in critical condition after being struck by a dump truck while riding his bicycle. According to the teenager’s family attorney, Daniel Hughes, 18, lost his entire leg up to his pelvis after being struck on Sept. 5.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/09/26/ohio-state-university-student-struck-by-dump-truck-loses-leg.html

Rusty1
    Rusty1
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Its been a problem for years. RIP Jerry Wick

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

AlanBarber said:
    don’t get me started on people with poor biking practices.

I drive through hilltop every day. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I’ve seen guys with their pants half down their legs, riding a bike that is too small for a 6 year old let alone a grown adult and texting/talking on a phone while they ride down broad street.

Ahhaha, that goes on in Portsmouth all the time. And they ride like 2mph and swerve everywhere because they’re going so slowly.

Jeftrokat
    Jeftrokat
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The count is now at 7 bicycle-related accidents on Campus since the beginning of the semester. Some students say bike lanes will make the roads safer for cyclists.

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/bike-lanes-could-reduce-accidents-on-ohio-state-campus-1.2917691#.UG34-Zi5OW2

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Awesome…no facts to support. Just a bunch of feelings.

Sounds like enforcement and education are needed more on campus.

Buster Bluth
    Buster Bluth
    Login to Send PM

I wonder if the university will use this to expedite their plans to only allow bikes, faculty/staff, and CABS/COTA on campus roads.

Paul
    Paul
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    Awesome…no facts to support. Just a bunch of feelings.

????

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Paul said:
    ????

Just responding after reading the Latern article.

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

Buster Bluth said:
    I wonder if the university will use this to expedite their plans to only allow bikes, faculty/staff, and CABS/COTA on campus roads.

Interesting, I did not know about this plan. Is there more information somewhere?

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bucki12 said:
    Interesting, I did not know about this plan. Is there more information somewhere?

I’m not sure how many other people would be purposely driving through campus.. for any students who drive to campus, the parking garages I can think of are accessible from main roads and don’t require driving on campus. I’m sure there are some others, but I don’t think it would drastically reduce traffic on campus (there isn’t much anyway). Besides, most of these accidents are along High and Lane.

JB05
    JB05
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was a little surprised by the Lantern article’s complaint about a lack of bike parking on campus. Many of the newer portions, including the gateway and the Ohio Union have ample, permanent bike parking. Even the new Kroger is one of the few with ample parking. I’m not sure about the library, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t include bike parking there as well.

I’m sure the university can figure something out. Those inverted-U shaped racks only cost between $150-$300 each. Even with the bloated budgets and unionized workforce, the installation of bike parking would be a footnote in the university budget. Certainly less costly and just as “green” as the elaborate geothermal project.

I’m more curious to see what’s going to happen in the north campus dorm area. The university is planning to remove Curl drive and build several new “low-rise” dorms in the area to accomodate sophomores. I hope that bike facilities will be a key part of this more-dense and less-accessible part of the university.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

And unfortunately, another collision.

story

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JB05 said:
    I was a little surprised by the Lantern article’s complaint about a lack of bike parking on campus. Many of the newer portions, including the gateway and the Ohio Union have ample, permanent bike parking. Even the new Kroger is one of the few with ample parking. I’m not sure about the library, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t include bike parking there as well.

I’m more curious to see what’s going to happen in the north campus dorm area. The university is planning to remove Curl drive and build several new “low-rise” dorms in the area to accomodate sophomores. I hope that bike facilities will be a key part of this more-dense and less-accessible part of the university.

Those places do seem to have enough parking, but if you go around central campus there are various places where there is a lot of bike parking, and it’s all completely full. People then lock up to trees, signs, handicap railing, whatever they can fit on. Around RPAC, and especially near any of the dorm buildings, or bigger classroom buildings, there are seas of parked bikes. I don’t think they really have much to do with the discussion of safety, but they still bring it up in the article to point out that there is a high demand in certain areas for even more bike racks.

As for the north campus dorms, none of the other new roads or developments that I know of around campus have included separated bike facilities. They’re all sharrowed. I wouldn’t expect anything different here, especially now that OSU can’t do anything for 50 years that would lower demand for parking passes without paying QIC Global Infrastructure to offset their losses.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Graybeak said:
    And unfortunately, another collision.

story

That sucks. No details, but that intersection typically has cyclists getting impatient and flying through the multiple red lights that are all bunched up right there.. it’s not too surprising that there would be a crash.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    That sucks. No details, but that intersection typically has cyclists getting impatient and flying through the multiple red lights that are all bunched up right there.. it’s not too surprising that there would be a crash.

…if we assume the cyclist was at fault in this specific case. But like you said no details.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 177 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?