Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) – News & Updates

This topic contains 766 replies, has 100 voices, and was last updated by News News 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 767 total)
  • Author
    CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Yup, no such thing as a motorsports venue in densely populated areas.

Auto Club Speedway

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Your sarcasm is diluting your very powerful examples.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m pretty familiar with the area surrounding the Nashville Fairgrounds speedway – it hasn’t brought any of prosperity to that neighborhood.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>
    Your sarcasm is diluting your very powerful examples.

Pretty tough to not feel sarcastic when points are made and the usual response turns to an accusation of working for or being paid by the developer.

I’m just a guy who mows lawns that strongly believes in this opportunity. If the developer were proposing another CMS, I would 100% disagree with the idea – but that’s not even close.

mrman
    mrman
    Login to Send PM

CooperGuy wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>
    ^^^^ @CooperGuy – (ETA: hate that it flipped!)
    And it would seem that you aren’t really paying attention to what folks are saying concerns them. You gloss over the fact that this development is being proposed at the edge of a densely populated neighborhood.

I think that’s been the reason for the long development period of the proposal. As was detailed last night, the developer has had numerous discussions and negotiations with the community representatives. (excepting those that refused to come to the table of course) Those discussions have resulted in proposal modifications, improvements, revisions, and mutual assurances for both sides. Anyone that denies that is simply lying. And it’s not done yet, they are still working on fine tuning many the details.
    And unfortunately, many of those poor people that some on here claim to represent don’t have the means to post on the Columbus Underground. Which is why they’ve been asked first hand. And quite frankly, the far majority don’t feel that this is a “bone” at all. Doubt that? We’re still waiting for someone to take us up on a walk through Franklinton to ask the residents first hand – no takers yet.
    Interested?

What ever. I’m sure you and Boots and Beerman conducted a fair survey and properly analyzed the results. There wasn’t any intimidation or spin involved.

I have to hand it to you. You are probably a vey good salesman – persistant and not afraid to ruthlessly twist the truth. You have managed to portray German Village residents as the villans here. I believe that tactic is called “strawman”. It’s also been called scapegoating. You paint GV people as rich snobs whose only real motive here is to dictate to the poor people. This accomplished, you can present yourself as the champion of the poor, wanting only to protect them and give them what they want.

Of course the truth is that two years ago you wouldn’t piss on Franklinton if it was on fire.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen wrote >>
    I’m pretty familiar with the area surrounding the Nashville Fairgrounds speedway – it hasn’t brought any of prosperity to that neighborhood.

This is why this project is anchored by the Automotive Center for Research and Technology. The project is an entire complex designed to offer a huge variety of opportunities – not simply a race track.

Arshot has been very upfront that the Automotive Center for Technology and Research is the primary purpose, the track supports the needs of the center, and the event activities (including occasional racing) help to support the track. Each component must rely on the other to be successful, and none would be able to produce the desired benefits without the other.

Again unfortunately, many opponents like to point to the racing as if it’s the only function of the complex.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

mrman wrote
    What ever. I’m sure you and Boots and Beerman conducted a fair survey and properly analyzed the results. There wasn’t any intimidation or spin involved..

C’mon along with us. Bring your video camera. When do you want to meet up? It’s been a little chilly out, so I’ll buy you some coffee or hot chocolate.

BeerMan
    Login to Send PM

Parker wrote >>
    The FAC has been more than fair in its approach to this issue. If the developer had kept their word and presented to them over a year ago as promised, the FAC could have made a decision sooner. However, it seems that the ever-changing story of the development from both Arshot and their minions, the multiple broken promises to attend and FAC meeting, the developer-funded attempts to show “support” in Franklinton with “FOR” (Friends of Racing, how duplicitous) signs, and coming to our meetings and mumbling aloud against things which you disagree – Oh, look at me… Ooo, Ooo, look at me, I’m upset! These all present the proponents in a negative manner and obscure their intentions.
    I suggest that the proponents look to themselves and their actions to explain the lack of support in Franklinton. You won’t, but you should. Every good salesperson knows that a failed sell is their fault. They are the outsider, they make the case (or not).
    On another related subject, I question the legitimacy of a Southwest Civic Association and its ability to monitor noise impartially when it is beholden to Arshot for funding. I never heard of this group before last fall.
    Some important questions Mr. Sugar and company would assume no one ask:
    In their “good neighbor agreement” of a mere 5 pages, who will be responsible for monitoring noise?
    Where will funding come from to pay for monitoring and evaluation of the resulting data? Will Arshot continue to pay this in perpetuity?
    Who will present the data and handle grievances?
    Who will pay the legal fees if needed?
    Who will ensure that monitoring equipment is calibrated and maintained, replaced when needed?
    Is the SW Civic Association is to pay for all of this? Arshot’s gift of $25K will not go far in supporting these efforts. I submit to you that none of this is spelled out and are the hidden costs of enforcement that will make the agreement null by default.

Hi Mr Parker,
    Over the past several months, I have heard my friend, CooperGuy, start many conversations with “I had a great argument with that Parker guy today, and…”

You know, after reading your last few posts here I have decided that I don’t have the energy to respond to all of the rediculous accusations & assumptions that you make. So I think I’ll just pass. I’m just not a very fast typer & I have much better things to do.

If you ever decide to look up the real facts about how some members of the FAC have responded to this project & you are ready to have a reasonable conversation, I would love to participate.

I find it incredibly generous of the SWCA to include sections of Franklinton in their Good Neighbor Agreement with the developer, even though they were completely rebuffed by Carol Stewart when they asked her to join the negotiation. They could have just left the Franklinton people out in the cold, but they decided that those people needed to be protected, even if their own leaders were too irresponsible to do it.

Until I see some kind of post from you indicating that you are capable of reasonable thought, I am just going to ignore anything you do.

BeerMan
    Login to Send PM

BTW, I have enjoyed a lot of the banter on here. I know that I disagree with most on here, but at least we can have a conversation. I have talked personally with a few & we have agreed to disagree. But I’m confident that we can be friends when all of this stuff shakes out. I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised when you realize how well Cooper Park fits in with most of the other good things going on in the community.

I’m still waiting on someone I can drag down to the area closest to Cooper stadium, so we can talk to those people. If you aren’t afraid of what those people will say, you should be more than willing.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CooperGuy wrote >>

mrman wrote
    What ever. I’m sure you and Boots and Beerman conducted a fair survey and properly analyzed the results. There wasn’t any intimidation or spin involved..

C’mon along with us. Bring your video camera. When do you want to meet up? It’s been a little chilly out, so I’ll buy you some coffee or hot chocolate.

My great grand father was a snake oil salesman (really)
    But i would not share coco with you.
    I was honestly on the fence on this one and in less than a week, you have made me against it. But then I live in GV and you have made it clear what you think.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>

CooperGuy wrote >>

mrman wrote

I was honestly on the fence on this one and in less than a week, you have made me against it. But then I live in GV and you have made it clear what you think.

Basing your evaluation of a huge development project on the scale of Cooper Park, due to the perceived attitude of an internet forum poster reflects real….. ah, well…. I’ll just leave that alone.

BeerMan
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>

CooperGuy wrote >>

mrman wrote

Thanks, Tenzo, for helping me end my search for a classic example of how to discredit yourself. Once again, here is your post from 11 months ago:

Your post 11 months ago:

“Hi All.
    As most of you know by now I am heavily involved in the battle against turning Cooper Stadium into a motrosports complex. Like so many downtown residents I live a mile and a half from Cooper Stadium. If you don’t know what’s going on please go to our website http://www.ROARColumbus.org to get informed.

Today, Thursday March 11th, at 9 AM the three County Commissioners are listening to arguments from the developer, Bill Schottenstein, who is asking for a 3rd extension on his purchase contract with the county. As of last night we learned two of the three Commissioners are planning to vote yes. WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW! The vote will take place on March 16th. We would like to flood them with emails and phone calls.

I’m asking, no begging, you to please:
    1. Pass this email on to all of your friends, co-workers, family, neighbors and ask them to email or call the 3 Commissioners.
    2. Email and/or call the 3 County Commissioners and let them know you do not want them to grant another extension and would like to have the bidding opened up for other alternatives that would be more beneficial to the entire dowtown and Columbus.

Here are all the contact info for each of them and below are some talking points if you need them. It’s time to make some NOISE.
    Commissioner John O’Grady
    Executive Assistant: Sharon Keels
    Tel: 614-462-5589
    Fax: 614-462-5999
    E-mail: skkeels@FranklinCountyOhio.gov

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/cooper-stadium-collab-w-jeff-gordon-col-state-n-osu

At least I don’t have to spend time pretending I’m something that I’m not.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Beerman – Tenzo was just posting that since it was relevant to the topic. Didn’t actually write it. But, posting it would send pretty much the same message, so… what you said.

BeerMan
    Login to Send PM

Whatever.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle
    Login to Send PM

Just a couple of questions:

Why don’t they have race cars rev their engines in cooper stadiums parking lot and see how far noise levels can be reached?

Even if this track get’s built will this really be much louder than traffic, or fireworks, or other events going on?

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 767 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?