Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Complex (SPARC) – News & Updates

This topic contains 760 replies, has 98 voices, and was last updated by  GCrites80s 5 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 761 total)
  • Author
    cyclist II
    cyclist II
    Login to Send PM

I think Cooper Guy is deaf already.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

mrman wrote >>

Roland wrote >>
    How about a demonstration of these sound suppression walls that would be in place. If its proven to work at the sound levels, that should address the noise complaint.
    Would that be enough to satisfy the objectors or is this a personal fight now?

The problem is that these walls don’t exist so we’re all left to speculate as to their effectiveness. The developer would like us to be the guinea pigs. The only way to know is to build them and then of course, we’re stuck with it. Of course even after you build them you still don’t really know how loud it will get because the type and numbers of vehicles are also huge factors. Right now they promise that they’ll only run the quiet (my word) kinds of cars with mufflers and whatever technical crap they pull out. Again they want us to trust them to do the right thing because there is no way to hold them to that promise. We all know that the city noise ordinance is unenforceable. Even if the wall works with the quiet cars how do we know that one day they won’t just say screw this lets load up the track with the really loud ones -why not?
    It did get kind of personal though when they went on the 610WTVN and slammed those “dumb hillbillys” in the Bottoms for a few weeks. When they realized what a stupid PR move that was they apologized but the damage was done.

Arshot is going to sound mitigation efforts and expense that no other developer has ever committed to. Even ROARS sound guy at his SWAC presentation admitted that he has never seen a track developer make the commitments that Arshot has.

It’s not that the sound absorbing walls don’t exist, (they do along portions of a NC drag strip and there is a even an example on a Route 23 overpass just South of Delaware) it’s that no developer has ever been willing to invest the money to entirely encircle a track, until Cooper Park.

Regarding assurances, they are negotiating a Good Neighbor Agreement that specifically benefits Franklinton and the Southwest areas. It includes contractual obligations that gives the newly formed Southwest Civic Association the ability to enforce the good neighbor agreements. This new association includes the areas of Franklinton closest to the stadium (including those same 800 residentials within 2000ft of the stadium that you represent) and if you are in that area, you can join the association, run for its board and be a part of the solution by holding them to their promises.

Or not.

Arshot has never slammed anyone, in any way. If you are referring to Boots, that was his thing and he freely admits he was wrong. As you noted he apologized, several times, both to people directly and on the air. But feel free to disregard that along with all the other stuff you choose to disregard.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

cyclist II wrote >>
    I think Cooper Guy is deaf already.

huh?

Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrman wrote >>

Roland wrote >>
    How about a demonstration of these sound suppression walls that would be in place. If its proven to work at the sound levels, that should address the noise complaint.
    Would that be enough to satisfy the objectors or is this a personal fight now?

The problem is that these walls don’t exist so we’re all left to speculate as to their effectiveness. The developer would like us to be the guinea pigs.

Well the developers might find a more receptive audience if they could show that these walls do exist and work. If the sound is proven to be manageable, than that should satisfy the skeptics. If it’s not, then this isn’t the right location.

It’s kind of crummy because I’d love to see a track and automotive center like this in Columbus. Or one near Columbus.

Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrman wrote >>
    Seriously. What is an advanced driving school?

Special types of courses that instruct teenagers and adults how to handle a car properly in safe controlled conditions. Covering things like recovering from loss of tire grip, emergency braking/swerving, over/understeer, etc.

Other types of courses would be more performance or racing oriented.

Generally speaking these are fun things to do and it’s good practice.

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Roland wrote >>

mrman wrote >>
    Seriously. What is an advanced driving school?

Special types of courses that instruct teenagers and adults how to handle a car properly in safe controlled conditions. Covering things like recovering from loss of tire grip, emergency braking/swerving, over/understeer, etc.
    Other types of courses would be more performance or racing oriented.
    Generally speaking these are fun things to do and it’s good practice.

Even beyond that, the better schools go into the physiology of today’s driving environment. As an example, students learn not only the dangers of failing to focus on driving, but also experience first hand just how quickly and easily it can happen to them. Unfortunately and way to often, young drivers become aware that they are not invincible just before impact.

Several schools now incorporate bicycle awareness and actually practice sharing the road skills with real live instructors cruising around on bikes. It’s amazing the number of drivers that don’t have a clue as to how to share the road with a cyclist.

They also must reverse their car through a long 1/4 to 1/2 mile, narrow, twisting path – twice – once looking over their right shoulder, one hand on the wheel, and again using only the mirrors with both hands on the wheel. They may go slowly, but any stop will fail the course.

To pass a course, students must complete all of their avoidance, control, and most importantly, awareness maneuvers with mom or dad in the passenger seat. The instructor sits in the back and grades not only the maneuverability skills, but how well they explain the hows and whys to their parent.

Many years ago, a school like this wanted to locate in Columbus, but there was no suitable location available. Cooper Park would be ideal.

cml43220
    Login to Send PM

People need to realize that, even after the millions of dollars are plugged into the community to redevelop Cooper Park, the racing that scares ROAR and so many other not-in-my-backyard ignorami will be limited in occurance: it’s not like an active airport is being built at the site!

I still don’t get why people are so upset by this perceived threat of noise pollution, when I-70, rt.315 and I-71 are within spitting distance of the same site? Should ODOT put up sound barriers for the sensitive ears in the area as well? How did the area survive the last 50 years?

mrman
    mrman
    Login to Send PM

cml43220 wrote >>
    People need to realize that, even after the millions of dollars are plugged into the community to redevelop Cooper Park, the racing that scares ROAR and so many other not-in-my-backyard ignorami will be limited in occurance: it’s not like an active airport is being built at the site!
    I still don’t get why people are so upset by this perceived threat of noise pollution, when I-70, rt.315 and I-71 are within spitting distance of the same site? Should ODOT put up sound barriers for the sensitive ears in the area as well? How did the area survive the last 50 years?

Yes. ODOT should put up sound barriers. Perhaps you don’t know anything about history but the interstate highway system was devastating to center-city neighborhoods. What you propose will make a bad situation worse. So the racing that scares we “ignorami” will be “limited in occurrence”? Limited by who or what?

cyclist II
    cyclist II
    Login to Send PM

Yes. Those freeways are noisy and polluting already, we don’t want more of that. Race cars are very loud and will be heard for miles. Just think of trains you can hear miles away already or a helicopter in the distance.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

CooperGuy wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    Can you respond to a person’s apposing viewpoint without insulting them? Just curious.
    Some of us want the racetrack, some of us don’t. Those who have their own personal reasons are not going to change their mind by being harrased.

I love this. You’re a ROAR member, and eleven months ago you were promoting that you are “heavily involved” in the fight against Cooper and begging people to the Franklin County Commissioners meeting, but now you claim that it’s my attitude pushing you into not wanting it. That’s really precious and pretty typical of ROAR honesty – jeez, now I’ve got something else to frame.

WTF? I’m a member? I spoke up at the commissioners meeting?
    I don’t even know where that building is or what county the stadium is.

Like I said, I’m neutral, being pushed toward against. Or where you answering my question from this ranting display of paranoia?

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote
    WTF? I’m a member? I spoke up at the commissioners meeting?
    I don’t even know where that building is or what county the stadium is.
    Like I said, I’m neutral, being pushed toward against. Or where you answering my question from this ranting display of paranoia?

You losin’ it are you, T?

Your post 11 months ago:

(I felt the need to bold a couple points to make it easier for you to comprehend)

Hi All.
    As most of you know by now I am heavily involved in the battle against turning Cooper Stadium into a motrosports complex. Like so many downtown residents I live a mile and a half from Cooper Stadium. If you don’t know what’s going on please go to our website http://www.ROARColumbus.org/b to get informed.

Today, Thursday March 11th, at 9 AM the three County Commissioners are listening to arguments from the developer, Bill Schottenstein, who is asking for a 3rd extension on his purchase contract with the county. As of last night we learned two of the three Commissioners are planning to vote yes. WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW! The vote will take place on March 16th. We would like to flood them with emails and phone calls.

I’m asking, no begging, you to please:
    1. Pass this email on to all of your friends, co-workers, family, neighbors and ask them to email or call the 3 Commissioners.
    2. Email and/or call the 3 County Commissioners and let them know you do not want them to grant another extension and would like to have the bidding opened up for other alternatives that would be more beneficial to the entire dowtown and Columbus.

Here are all the contact info for each of them and below are some talking points if you need them. It’s time to make some NOISE.
    Commissioner John O’Grady
    Executive Assistant: Sharon Keels
    Tel: 614-462-5589
    Fax: 614-462-5999
    E-mail: skkeels@FranklinCountyOhio.gov

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/cooper-stadium-collab-w-jeff-gordon-col-state-n-osu/i

I love this!

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Double post – sorry

Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

LMAO!

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

ahhhhh, I was posting that for someone who sent it to me and thought it was pertinent to the conversation
    I can see how you might think it was me.

I dont remember typing it because I didn’t. It was a cut and paste.
    Should have put it in quotes.

I’ve never been in a city/county building as long as I have been here.
    and I posted in this thread that I am nuetral

CooperGuy
    CooperGuy
    Login to Send PM

Fair enough. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 761 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?