Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

New Vets Memorial & Columbus Zoo Expansion Planned for Scioto Peninsula

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion New Vets Memorial & Columbus Zoo Expansion Planned for Scioto Peninsula

This topic contains 264 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 265 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

$50 million doesn’t sound like it would go very far for building a new Veterans Memorial. Looks like the new one would be smaller, but still not too much money being spent. Anyone know of another city with something comparable?

Plan would bring arts venue, zoo to area near COSI
    By Josh Jarman and Lucas Sullivan
    Tuesday June 11, 2013 6:59 AM

Veterans Memorial would be demolished and replaced with a new arts venue under a $50 million plan local officials are considering for the Scioto Peninsula, across the river from Downtown.

Key to the plan is a $25 million donation from Limited founder Leslie H. Wexner and his wife, Abigail, for the new arts facility.

That would include a new memorial for veterans, a museum and an amphitheater or auditorium smaller than the 3,916-seat auditorium currently at Vets.

The redevelopment plan also includes a new, permanent attraction from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, a roughly $50 million project that would be financed separately.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/06/11/a-new-plan-for-the-peninsula.html

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

An ambitious plan except for this statement:

An elevated pedestrian path and walkways would connect COSI with the zoo and the new museum and arts center.

Is this a plan from the 1980′s?

Stewz
    Stewz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:

An elevated pedestrian path and walkways would connect COSI with the zoo and the new museum and arts center.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this article this morning. I can understand wanting to connect COSI and the zoo exhibit if they were to package entrance into one ticket, but that still could be done without having an elevated walkway to connect the two. All that does is take more potential people off the streets. Similar to the walkways from Nationwide.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pablo said:

No kidding. I hope that is just a lame idea that was thrown out.

I was actually just thinking last night, wouldn’t it be nice if Lex Wexner donated money for a huge observation tower on the site of the Vet Memorial and turn it into an expo center?

It’s no observation tower, but a new Art Centre sounds almost as good.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

With the plan to continue to improve the riverfront, there’s absolutely *no* need for a skywalk at all.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ixnay on the skywalk. I can understand why they probably want one….for the safety of the kids to cross a 6 lane Broad Street. Here is an idea. Shrink Broad Street to slow the traffic down. I’m really hoping that whoever develops the vacant lots behind COSI include ground floor retail along Broad. There is no need for its current configuration.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

By the way, is this the Mayor’s big announcement for the Peninsula?

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

So, sort of an arts hub out there? What an interesting idea. I wonder why no one thought of that before.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wexner has been trying to build an art’s center downtown for years, including moving the Columbus Museum of Art the the former health department site (about the time COSI moved west of the river). Before that, he was pushing for an arts center at State and High. It will be interesting to see who the architect will be – it’s such a prominent site and demands something cutting edge to compliment COSI (I’ve always liked the addition to Central High).

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

RellekOTE
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think this could be a fantastic idea, if done right. I’ve always thought Columbus would benefit from having a so-called ‘Arts Hub’ (a la University Circle in Cleveland). And having it Downtown would make it all the better. Looking forward to hearing more information and seeing more plans about this!

wpcc88
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

RellekOTE said:
    I think this could be a fantastic idea, if done right. I’ve always thought Columbus would benefit from having a so-called ‘Arts Hub’ (a la University Circle in Cleveland). And having it Downtown would make it all the better. Looking forward to hearing more information and seeing more plans about this!

agreed.. I’m not really into the art scene but I attended an event at the Cleveland Museum of Art and it really is a beautiful place, especially the new atrium

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Kinda concerned about Vets Memorial being torn down… I know SWCS (Southwestern City) uses Vets for high school graduations. And not to mention that Vets just got some upgrades last year…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

There are other places to do High School graduations.

tvh
    tvh
    Login to Send PM

Would be nice to consider tearing down the old eyesore Spaghetti Warehouse and the rundown, dated parking lots around it and build it up to compliment all this new development in this area….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 265 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?