Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus Needs a New City Flag

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Needs a New City Flag

This topic contains 71 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  johnwirtz 2 years, 8 months ago.

Tagged

flags

ideas

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Motorist
    Motorist
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz wrote >>

groundrules wrote >>
    Okay, so instead of a new flag, we maybe we just need to start plastering it places? And people begin to recognize it….
    THEN WHAT???
    (I know someone is gonna say it, so I’ll save that person the trouble: “Profit!”)

Maybe, but if we’re going to put it everywhere, it should be a better design.
    Yes, you figured out the plan.
    Phase 1 – New flag
    Phase 2 – ?
    Phase 3 – Profit
    Well done.

I thought it went:

1. Money
    2. Power
    3. Women

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

What if the new Columbus Flag mirrored the Ohio Flag in its non-traditional shape?

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Like it or not, a flag says something about the people and place that accept it. For instance, what does this flag make you think about Brown County, Nebraska?

What about Mozambique?

Do either of these flags make you think positively about the location? Granted, Columbus’ flag is nowhere near as bad, but it could be much, much better.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ll be sure to google flag images before planning my next vacation.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules wrote >>

Feel free to scoff. Among all things, flags aren’t terribly important, but they are a symbol of a place – wouldn’t you prefer a symbol that accurately represents the place?

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cookie wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>
    You start to see this everywhere, and it becomes part of the city’s identity. The Chicago city flag is certainly leveraged to this point, as arenn noted. I would argue that most native Chicagoans even know what the four stars symbolize.

Right, because when people think of Chicago, they think, “Sweet flag.”

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules wrote >>

I’m curious to hear how do you feel about the arches in the Short North and Old North Columbus. They don’t hold anything up. We didn’t need the extra light. They take up some sidewalk space, and they sure as hell weren’t free. I suspect that very few people go visit Columbus or the Short North just to see the arches. Yet they still add to the sense of place and make the city more attractive (I think).

[In fact, the arches would be another good thing to build on as part of the city's brand identity. Let's put them at the border of every major neighborhood.]

blammo
    blammo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

the arches look pretty badass when you’re high though, it would take one hell of a flag to make the same impact.

Talcott
    Talcott
    Login to Send PM

blammo wrote >>
    the arches look pretty badass when you’re high though, it would take one hell of a flag to make the same impact.

We could take Walker’s suggestion of an unusual shape, and make the Columbus flag a spiraling shape [everyone wants to see that groovy thing].

ooooh! Or we could do a magic-eye image on the flag!

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Talcott wrote >>

ooooh! Or we could do a magic-eye image on the flag!

Stare hard… I know there’s a cow in there somewhere…

MattCooper
    Login to Send PM

Does a single person in Columbus have a strong positive emotion toward the current flag?

How could they. Its completely lame.

Anything would be better.

Great thread.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules wrote >>
    I find this bordering on ridiculous. We need a brand? for what? seriously.

More on branding of cities:

http://www.urbanophile.com/2010/05/06/do-cities-need-a-creative-director/

http://www.urbanophile.com/2010/05/13/the-authentic-city/

FlagLady
    FlagLady
    Login to Send PM

Hey Everyone! Love the ideas for the new flags. This is Harry from The Flag Lady’s Flag store, I saw someone posted something about having us change the City of Columbus Flag…I have a better idea, let’s hold a design contest, We can host it here or on our Facebook Page. Whatever design wins, we’ll start making and selling in our stores…who’s up for the challenge?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

AWESOME IDEA! Please do, I for one will buy!

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m in. Should we lay down any ground rules? How many designs can we submit? Do you need detailed dimensions or just concepts right now?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (memcached). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0