Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus Metropolitan Library - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Metropolitan Library – News & Updates

This topic contains 48 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by News News 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Interesting in that rendering that there’s a lot of extra infill all around the Topiary Park.

I’ve always thought there was a lot of potential for building densely around that park:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/wasted-space-in-downtown-motorist-parking-lot

The 2010 Downtown Strategic Plan also addresses this:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/downtown-2010-plan-idea-2-topiary-park-infill

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Press Release:
    Library closes on purchase of Deaf School today

COLUMBUS—Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML) closed on the purchase of the old Ohio School for the Deaf property today, 400 E. Town St., located downtown behind Main Library and next to Topiary Park. The acquisition gives CML more options for the Main Library, which is now land-locked.

Monday, Jan. 28, Columbus City Council voted unanimously to remove the residential zoning restriction on the old Deaf School property to allow for possible redevelopment by CML.

CML’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously on Wednesday, Jan. 30, to purchase the 2.24-acre Deaf School property for $2,160,000. The purchase of the property is another step in CML’s investment in the downtown community and revitalization of the Discovery District.

Inspired by Bryant Park in New York, the library looks to provide an outdoor reading room and green space for library customers by connecting Main Library to Topiary Park via the old Deaf School land. CML already partners with Topiary Park for various events, including Peanut Butter, Jelly and Jazz (PB&J) summer concerts. This connection will further build the library’s relationship with the park and enhance the offerings of the Discovery District, ultimately revitalizing the area.

CML created an initial architectural rendering of a concept that opens the east wall of the Main Library with glass and forms a plaza overlooking the Deaf School Park. Throughout 2013, the library will develop final plans for use of the Deaf School property.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The Driving Park branch is coming down:

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ChrisSunami said:
    I just don’t get this. There’s no institution I love more than the Columbus Library. As the #1 library in the country they must be doing something right. And this will be great for downtown. But why expand the building when the collection is already rattling around in the big empty space they already have?

Spend some money and build the the collection back up. It’s like a Blockbuster now. 100 copies of the new bestsellers, and they disappear forever a few years later. It absolutely kills me every time I go in and can’t find a book that used to be on their shelves.

Is there anyone on the boards with the Library who can speak to this? It made more sense a few years ago when they were out of money, but now that they’re apparently flush…

I was in the Main Library yesterday for the first time in a while and was honestly shocked at how empty it was.

Most of the first floor previously devoted to fiction is just empty space now. There are some measly displays and chairs spread out, which really only make it look even worse.

The second and third floors weren’t much better. So much empty space. Even where there are shelves with books, the top and bottom levels are completely empty, and the rest are less than half full.

The collection has basically been decimated. What is going on over there?

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

E-readers? I don’t know about you, but since I got a Kindle, I pared down my physical books. I love that you can borrow e-books from the Columbus library.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I understand the overall decline of print media, and presumably its impact going into the future as it relates to libraries (less money spent on physcial acquisitions, emphasis on digital, services, etc).

What I don’t understand is eliminating large amounts of physical books which you already own, and have the space to store them in, only to replace them with absolutely nothing. Why is CML in such a hurry to open up vast swaths of empty space?

Besides looking terrible aesthetically, it also doesn’t work functionally. Physical books aren’t going away entirely, but the collection is so anemic at present that holdings on the shelves for Dickens, Twain, Conrad, etc, were either non-existent or in the single digits.

I’m all for future-proofing and innovation, but right now Main Library is a bit of an embarrassment.

“Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”

Ricolla
    Login to Send PM

The Hilltop branch is shrinking too. Not that there was a huge collection to begin with, but now the entire book collection takes up a quarter of the building instead of half. They took out the entire fiction section and replaced it with more table and chair seating. I like being able to look at the catologue and have anything sent to my local branch but sometimes I like to just walk around and browse and see what I might find.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ricolla said:
    The Hilltop branch is shrinking too. Not that there was a huge collection to begin with, but now the entire book collection takes up a quarter of the building instead of half. They took out the entire fiction section and replaced it with more table and chair seating. I like being able to look at the catologue and have anything sent to my local branch but sometimes I like to just walk around and browse and see what I might find.

The Hilltop area needs more reality and less fiction apparently. :)

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

heresthecasey said:

“Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”

Hoarders!

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

News said:
    The Driving Park branch is coming down:

What’s up, News? That’s actually the building they’re tearing down to put the new Driving Park branch on the site. I think it was a hair supply place or dollar store before. The old Driving Park branch down the street is still open.

On the topic of book inventory decreasing, the current Driving Park branch didn’t have many books at all the last time I was in there. The space they had to clear for the play/storytime area and computers left little room for books. If people around here remember, the smaller design of the DP one was quite prolific around town. I know the old one on the South Side used to be one of those and I think whichever one served the South Hamilton Rd. area before they built that other one behind the abandoned 7-11 in ’89 (which they’ve already replaced) was like that. I can’t remember where it was, though. Once the ADA compliance thing happened, ones like the DP and old South Side had a lot less room for books it seems.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Press Release:
    Library broke ground on new Driving Park Branch earlier today

COLUMBUS—Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML) broke ground earlier today on the new Driving Park Branch at 1422 E. Livingston Ave. (at Livingston and Kelton avenues), three blocks west of the current branch (1566 E. Livingston Ave). Today’s groundbreaking marks the first of 10 library locations (including Main Library) to be either renovated or relocated by 2020. Driving Park is CML’s first building project in nearly 10 years.

More than 250 community members were on hand to celebrate the groundbreaking. Ceremony speakers included:
    Roger Sugarman, CML Board of Trustees President
    Patrick Losinski, CML CEO
    Dale Heydlauff, President, American Electric Power (AEP) Foundation
    The Honorable Andrew Ginther, President, Columbus City Council
    The Honorable Charleta Tavares, State Senator, District 15
    Dr. Dan Good, Superintendent/CEO, Columbus City Schools
    Brea Carter and Tamaus Williams, Driving Park VolunTeens

The event also included dignitaries, community members, design and construction teams and children.

CML understands that great libraries create stronger communities, and each branch is an essential hub that reflects the unique needs of the neighborhood it serves. Some of CML’s 21 locations are 40 to 50 years old and inadequate to meet the demands of a growing 21st century community. Demands and expectations will continue to grow, along with the population of Franklin County.

CML’s aspirational building program is the result of a community-wide process that will continue to serve the needs of Franklin County well into the future. The plan is a multi-phased comprehensive blueprint that reinvents and revitalizes the entire 600,000 square feet maintained by the library.

Phase one of CML’s aspirational building program will transform and significantly upgrade seven urban branches (Driving Park, Whitehall, Parsons, Martin Luther King, Northside, Northern Lights, Shepard) and two suburban branches (Hilliard and Dublin). In addition, changes to Main Library will represent a major investment in downtown Columbus and the Discovery District.

The program’s estimated $120 million cost will be funded through debt financing as well as public and private support.

Visit columbuslibrary.org for more information and to track progress of CML’s ambitious building program.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Found a somewhat troubling tidbit of information today in a document on CML’s renovation page for Main Library. Their “Main Library Renovation Space Needs Assessment” (https://www.columbuslibrary.org/sites/columbuslibrary.org/files/CML_SNA_FINAL_DOCUMENT_130606.pdf) details on Page 16 plans to demolish three of the neighboring apartment buildings, which the library owns, to make way for surface parking and a widening of 9th st.

Hopefully this is just a very early, preliminary document, and the library will reject the proposal, but it’s pretty appalling to see this type of reckless disregard for both the neighborhood and downtown’s urban environment even being considered.

http://i.imgur.com/l50R2sq.png

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Yikes. Yuck. Hope it’s stopped.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This city is and always will be a car dependent city. Its pretty sad, I walked to Kroger in the Brewery District today and thought about how out of place the the freestanding grocery and parking lot looked in the neighborhood. If the CML decided to tear down the 3 buildings it will just add to the sea of parking in that area! Such a shame!

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Clearly there is a lack of parking in the area.

http://goo.gl/maps/hWkCf

Frankly, they should be ashamed for even suggesting this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?