Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus Free Press to launch site for local reporting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Free Press to launch site for local reporting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by TomOver TomOver 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Columbus Free Press has started a site for local progressive reporting. It is fairly close to being up and running and is distinct from, but linked to its main site—Freepress.org.

It will soon be a venue for organizing and democratizing activist communities in Central Ohio. Gotta love that phrase! By the way, I play the Beatles’ “Long and Winding Road” whenever I write, to remind myself of how to proceed with a topic. (Or is it a matter of going to great lengths to do everything but proceed toward the topic ? )

Well, anyway, in one of my comments within my well-received and fan-gathering thread about Peak Oil I mistakenly said : “Ideally, there’d be a Columbus site focused on civic engagement and activism, but so far my attempts to get Bob Fitrakis of the Columbus Free Press to use comment boxes has gotten no where.”

Low and behold, as it turns out, the local version of the Columbus Free Press site has been online, at least in its basic form, for almost as long as I have been posting to Columbus Underground, often marveling at all this interactivity, thinking, “Walker did it. Why can’t the Free Press do this?”

Well, I was incorrect. I wasn’t even asking the right question.

Surrealistically speaking, Bob Fitrakis answered my complaint 2-3 months before I even made it.

Though I can count on fellow undergrounders to offer kind-hearted suggestions, I’m not quite sure how I’ve been unaware of the existence of the following site, especially since I regularly publish reports to it’s main section:

Local news from the Columbus Free Press

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

FreePress.org gets more traffic than what I would have thought.

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

JonMyers wrote >>

That’s what Free Press people tell me, but how is this measured ?

cory
    cory
    Login to Send PM

TomOver wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

Easy. Through things like Google Analytics. CU’s numbers are right at the top of the page if you click on “advertise with us”

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was just looking at their Compete Score.

It’s not perfect. I find comparing Google Analytics to the Compete Score on the sites I operate that I have to add about 20 – 30% to the number on the Compete Score.

Source: http://www.compete.com

Mez
    Mez
    Login to Send PM

So can we all call ourselves “reporters” and have the Constitutional protection to not divulge our sources ;)

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mez wrote >>
    So can we all call ourselves “reporters” and have the Constitutional protection to not divulge our sources ;)

That’s a judgment call on the part of the reporter. Thanks for bringing that up. About 12 years ago I knew a reporter who joked that I couldn’t call myself a real reporter until I have spent time in jail for refusing a court order to divulge my sources. She and others have worn their jail time as badges of honor, so to speak.

But I’ve never personally dealt with this. I have only been doing the reporter thing consistently for about a year and a half. But what I can say is that the reporters I know about, refuse to divulge their sources with a willingness to face the consequences, that is, go to jail.

But, yeah, some reporter advocacy groups such as SPJ probably seek to change the laws about divulging one’s sources.

TomOver
    TomOver
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cory wrote >>

TomOver wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

Easy. Through things like Google Analytics. CU’s numbers are right at the top of the page if you click on “advertise with us”

Ok, I will check that out. Wow, Google reminds me to not be a knee-jerk critic of corporate America. I want to a critic of them, but not a knee-jerk one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?