Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

Columbus Documentary Subject Ideas

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Columbus Documentary Subject Ideas

This topic contains 75 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by oneillsp96 oneillsp96 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Was all confused until I saw it was “rapping bum” not “raping bum”.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think he was more usually known as “The Rhyming Bum” or “Help is On the Way”. Sad to hear he’s gone –although I’d like to know the info source. Some well-known local homeless have falsely been reported dead before.

oneillsp96
    oneillsp96
    Login to Send PM
    oneillsp96
    oneillsp96
    Login to Send PM

What about the Milo Arts is disastrous? I’m not familiar with it/them

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

A documentary on Help On The Way would be something I’d watch for sure. Would take a lot of research and time, but I”d actually volunteer to help.

oneillsp96
    oneillsp96
    Login to Send PM

And once again to Manatee, I do think it is possible to make an interesting documentary that will keep people’s attention for an hour or more, IF the subject is interesting enough. Hence the need for this post.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

oneillsp96 said:
    What about the Milo Arts is disastrous? I’m not familiar with it/them

Milo Arts is a big abandoned school building that was bought some 30 years ago and turned into an arts commune. It’s beloved by its residents and by many in the community –including me –but is perennially on the verge of being condemned by the city for numerous code violations, and has gone entirely bankrupt at least once. The guy who runs it is a visionary but not –shall we say –the most practical individual. I’m sure it would be an absolutely great subject for a documentary if you captured both the good and the bad of it.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Speaking of interesting people worthy of a documentary, Chris Sunami is one of the most fascinating people I know.

oneillsp96
    oneillsp96
    Login to Send PM

that does sound pretty interesting

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    Speaking of interesting people worthy of a documentary, Chris Sunami is one of the most fascinating people I know.

LOL thanks David! But I don’t think anyone needs to see THAT movie!

I was almost in Flag Wars, however. I was there at the gallery a few times when they were filming, but the footage never made it into the final version.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    I’d be interested in a Liz Lessner documentary. Also Jeni Britton Bauer or Walker Evans.

How about all?

Columbus has a pretty good entrepreneurial vibe. It would be kind of neat to see that stitched together.

ETA

Selfish plug for all things bike. I could introduce you to some people.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels said:
    Columbus has a pretty good entrepreneurial vibe. It would be kind of neat to see that stitched together.

+1

I talk to a dozen different entrepreneurs every week from a wide range of backgrounds and working in a diverse set of industries. From retail to green energy to tech apps to social entrepreneurship, there’s a LOT of exciting things going on.

@oneillsp96 – If local entrepreneurship is a topic you’re interested in, I’d be happy to connect you to plenty of people worthy of interview.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Actually, a documentary on Columbus Underground would be pretty interesting. For you youngsters who don’t realize, the site started as basically a place for DJ’s to promote their gigs…things have changed a little :D

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    Actually, a documentary on Columbus Underground would be pretty interesting. For you youngsters who don’t realize, the site started as basically a place for DJ’s to promote their gigs…things have changed a little :D

Ha! Thanks. ;) Glad you find the history interesting, and I do think that what we’ve been able to create here is something pretty unique, even on a national level… I just don’t know if it makes for good film-footage material.

If anyone wants to read a bit about the history of CU, I think it works better in written format:

http://www.cjr.org/news_startups_guide/2011/03/columbus-underground.php

http://www.cjr.org/the_news_frontier/qa_walker_evans_of_columbus_underground.php

alexbandar
    alexbandar
    Login to Send PM

Hi Oneillsp96 – I’m glad you’re seeking out interesting stuff to film in Cbus! I agree with many of the posts above – there’s a *lot* going on in this town that needs to be better chronicled… I run the Columbus Idea Foundry (www.ColumbusIdeaFoundry.com), and we have a number of interesting projects going on, one of which we’re actively seeking a documentarian for (www.InhalerProject.com). Drop me a line at alex at columbusideafoundry dot com if you’d like to chat more!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?