Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

Columbus Cut Map

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Columbus Cut Map

This topic contains 83 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DLDude 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hey all! My company has a Laser cutter so I spent a really bored night tracing an inner columbus map in Illustrator and came out with this:

388805_10102238402480405_471745917_n_zps2b5c7ef4.jpg

472065_10102238403553255_723288031_o_zpsd17cceee.jpg

I think it turned out kind of cool. Do you guys think there would be any interested in something like this? I was thinking about trying to get a table at Gallery Hop. Are there small shops oh High that would sell something like this on Consignment?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

*Very* cool!

How much do you want for one?

thecandlelab
    thecandlelab
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have a suggestion – if you want to set up a table inside our store for Gallery Hop this Saturday, you can take orders and gauge interest. I would totally buy the second one after Walker, and I think people will react well to this.

If you are interested in coming this Saturday or next Gallery Hop (November 3rd), we would love to host you. Email me at steve@thecandlelab.com!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m in for the third.

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks Candle Lab!

As for the price, I’m not sure. I’m thinking maybe $150 unframed and $200 framed (It’s about 15″x20″. I plan on cutting that big black sheet (20″x30″) it’s sitting on as well. I think it would look amazing un-framed on a white/green/yellow wall.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@DLDude – did you use live trace in illustrator or just freehand it? That’s pretty amazing.

Is your company use the laser cutter to do custom designs or for something totally unrelated?

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I freehand traced each road using the pen tool, then I did a live trace of that to get cut lines. This method allows me to make different roads have different sizes. If I wanted to screen print this or do just a typical printout, I could have unique colors as well.

My company makes model roller coasters actually (http://gizmodo.com/5905989/forget-magnets-this-working-148+scale-wooden-roller-coaster-is-the-ultimate-desk-toy). We laser cut the white supports on there. The laser isn’t in use all the time so we I get to play around with it if it’s open!

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

well if you do figure out a pricing structure, I’d be interested, possibly submit an idea for a cutout.

Seriously though, this could be a whole other revenue stream :)

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Shoot me an email at dldude05@gmail.com if you have any ideas you might want. The cost is in the labor to design the thing, not to necessarily to cut it out.

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Just out of curiosity – how long does it take the laser cutter to complete the task?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

what’s the material? looks good!

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m still playing with materials to be honest. I want it to look like and clean but be durable. Right now you can carry it around and nothing will rip.

It takes about 1hr to cut it, and took me about 20hrs to trace the city.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think these would sell well. I’m interested.

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hey all. I created an ETSY account.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/111131555/columbus-cut-map

Obviously you wouldn’t pay shipping etc. If you are really interested in having something like this, I will sell it to any CU member for half-off as an “Early Adopter + I like CU” discount! $75. It will take a couple weeks for me to prepare a few to make, but I wanted to throw that offer out there. Email me at dldude05@gmail.com if you would like one :)!

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DLDude said:
    I’m still playing with materials to be honest. I want it to look like and clean but be durable. Right now you can carry it around and nothing will rip.

It takes about 1hr to cut it, and took me about 20hrs to trace the city.

I’m still unclear on the material. Is it some type of firm paper, like a card stock?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?