Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus Cross Walks a Hazzard For Pedestrians

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Cross Walks a Hazzard For Pedestrians

This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DAMES BOND 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

reelfreak said:
    …are they okay as long as they make it across before it hits ’0′?

That’s always been my take on it. If the timer says 10 seconds and you’re able to get across in 10 seconds, do it. If you’re not able to get across in 10 seconds, don’t do it.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

As a pedestrian I figure it’s fine to cross in the crosswalk as long as the cross traffic has a red light. Most of the lights in Columbus seem to change as soon as the count down ends. The countdown is just a warning letting pedestrians know how much longer they have. You shouldn’t curse at people trying to cross the street when you have a red light anyway.

reelfreak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If we assume the countdown light duration is the same as the ‘Don’t Walk’ duration, does that mean it was okay to walk when the light was flashing ‘Don’t Walk’, because you knew you could make it across? Let’s go back to the Broad and Third example. On a nice day, during lunch, it is conceivable that a steady flow of pedestrians could prohibit, or certainly limit the number of cars being able to turn south onto Third from Broad. It is for that reason I believe that when the countdown starts, you wait for the next cycle to cross.

reelfreak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t have a red light. If my car is heading east on Broad, wanting to turn south on Third, the crosswalk across Third has a ‘Walk’ light the same time I have a green light.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The countdown occurs while the traffic signal is green. Once the countdown hits zero, the light changes to yellow, then red.

The countdown is how much time you have left as a pedestrian to cross on a green light.

reelfreak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I find the countdown lights an asset as a driver, but I disagree that people should continue to cross during the countdown, even if they know they can safely make it across before it hits ’0′. Unless I am just stepping off the curb as the countdown begins, I’m waiting for the next light. It’s about traffic management.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

reelfreak said:
    I find the countdown lights an asset as a driver, but I disagree that people should continue to cross during the countdown, even if they know they can safely make it across before it hits ’0′.

lol, what? why shouldn’t people cross when they still have a green light and know that they can make it before it turns red? hell, sometimes people cross when it is red, or in the middle of the street where there isn’t a crosswalk. when you’re in a city, people cross the street. They don’t slow you down more than a few seconds, so just don’t hit them and relax.

reelfreak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune, you and I aren’t connecting. The car has the green traffic light, the pedestrian has the red countdown light. If it is okay to walk during the countdown, then it must’ve been okay to walk when it used to say ‘Don’t Walk’. I guess the only effective way to demonstrate my point would be to take a field trip to the corner.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Each time I see the headline for this thread, I fear the General Lee is going to come screaming around the corner and hit a pedestrian.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Graybeak said:
    Each time I see the headline for this thread, I fear the General Lee is going to come screaming around the corner and hit a pedestrian.

No problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6YEuWi4ic

jus10dk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think it’s pretty simple. They can cross as long as they get across before “0.” For some that may mean, once the countdown has started, they can step off the curb and make it, if they move quickly. For others it may mean they have to wait. The driver waits to turn until the cross walk clears (which may not be until after “0″). It’s not a big deal really…rarely are you as a driver going to be dealing with gridlock downtown. Pedestrians are given the right of way, and you should be grateful for those that actually follow the rules.
    As for the older blinking “Don’t Walk” lights- I believe you’re allowed to cross as long as they’re blinking- so the countdown lights just make that time easier to judge.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Even more annoying is the crosswalk that has a walk signal til you get about half way across the street, and then it starts with the counting down or the flashing.
    A horrible example of this would be Broad and 5th, worse in my mind because of the push button for audible signal to cross feature.
    Not only does the light start flashing don’t walk, but the audible tone stops as well.

reelfreak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You guys are kind of letting me down. Can we agree that with the old ‘Walk’ / ‘Don’t Walk’ light, you did not start walking across the street if it read ‘Don’t Walk’? At least, you weren’t supposed to. If we assume that the amount of time is the same for ‘Don’t Walk’ as it is for a countdown light, why should it make sense that it is acceptable to keep crossing the street? Do you realize how many cars can make a right hand turn in fifteen seconds versus the potentially one to two seconds if people cross the intersection just before the countdown expires? I guess I am just overly considerate. Maybe everyone else thinks it is okay to take 20 items to the 12 items or less lane because it won’t take that much longer to check out 8 extra items. I guess it is also okay to stay in the left lane of the Third street exit from 670 west and hold up a line of cars that want to continue to exit while looking for a better spot to get ahead of more cars on 670. Yeah, everyone else but me should wait.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The way I see it, pedestrians always have priority, especially when in a cross walk, and I’m pretty sure that’s the law.

Ignore the walk time signal as a driver. That’s not for you; it’s for pedestrians.

All you have to worry about is not hitting pedestrians, and the color of the light…

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

When I was in Paris in 1975, the question of right of way depended on the number of cars vs. the number of pedestrians. In Lithuania in 2003 the pedestrians ruled, at least in marked crosswalks, and the otherwise fast and pushy drivers would stop dead for them. I _think_ I could do that here, like in the crosswalks in front of the convention center, but not without being ready to roll off of the hood of some SUV.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?