Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Columbus Commons - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus Commons – News & Updates

This topic contains 545 replies, has 127 voices, and was last updated by  geoyui 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 546 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

gk wrote >>
    Is it just me or does the carousel seem awfully small in relation to the park?

I was thinking it was small in relation to other carousels. The one at the Columbus Zoo is huge and can probably seat 100 kids at a time.

That being said, I don’t think this one Downtown needs to be quite that big.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

zp945 wrote >>

Pablo wrote >>

Urbanboi wrote >>
    This project is really starting to grow on me and im excited for the grand opening in May! I noticed the city is repairing the buildings across from the park on High street(taking down old awnings, painting, and streetscape.)

I beleive the repairs are being done by the property owners and not “the city”.

Usually I’d agree with you, but I think in this case case “the city” does own the buildings. At least a few of them. “The City” definitely was the one responsible for the streetscaping, and I’m glad to see it. I walked through the park the other day and I think it’s a huge improvement on an empty mall. I’m hopeful it can grow in to the plans.

If you guys are referring to the Trautman Building, it’s owned by CDDC, which is a non-profit development org created by The City of Columbus in 2002 to execute the Downtown Strategic Plan:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/Trautman-building

http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/about/cddc-capitol-south

gk
    Login to Send PM

Today’s Dispatch shows a rendering of the temporary music pavilion for Columbus Commons and talks about the design of a permanent pavilion for Columbus’ Bicentennial in 2010, with Picnic with the Pops and other music entertainment performances.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/04/19/music-in-the-city.html?sid=101

Mr Bubbles614
    Login to Send PM

where is the slip n slide?

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

gk wrote >>
    Today’s Dispatch shows a rendering of the temporary music pavilion for Columbus Commons and talks about the design of a permanent pavilion for Columbus’ Bicentennial in 2010, with Picnic with the Pops and other music entertainment performances.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/04/19/music-in-the-city.html?sid=101

The rendering shows the permanent structure.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Really like that rendering. Now all we need are some monolithic size sculptures at the corners near High to add a little more bling. An interactive one would be even better.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

can’t wait to bring a 40 and some cheetos to the next picnic with the pops

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish wrote >>

Is that what you did at Chemical Abstracts?

Or are you just making fun of poor people?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

just thinking about how the crowds will mingle. Wine and cheese vs 40′s and cheetos. old v new…get it? I’m not sure how the planned move will work. I imagine PWP will relocate back to CA in 2-3 years as their old skool patrons get fed up with the downtown vibe. What was wrong with using Bicentennial Park isn’t it supposed to be the new downtown venue?

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish wrote >>
    What was wrong with using Bicentennial Park isn’t it supposed to be the new downtown venue?

Simple, it’s not big enough.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>

Is that what you did at Chemical Abstracts?
    Or are you just making fun of poor people?

I’m not poor (well not destitue) and really enjoyed a MGD 40 the other day. Although I don’t care for cheetos generally.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Columbus Commons developer seeking builder to bring in residents
    Business First – by Brian R. Ball
    Date: Friday, April 22, 2011

The developer of Columbus Commons is gauging developers’ interest in building housing and stores along the High Street perimeter of the new downtown park.

Capitol South Community Urban Redevelopment Corp. has sent requests for qualifications to 25 developers for a plan to put as many as 300 apartments atop 40,000 square feet of street-level retail space on three sites between Town and Rich streets.

READ MORE (SUBSCRIBERS ONLY): http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/04/22/effort-warming-to-circle-columbus.html

tree_sketcher
    Login to Send PM

^Quite a week for CC! Good to see.

Chris Landauer
    Chris Landauer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That is great news about the development prospects.

One thing I thought of first, though – With moving the Picnic with the Pops to the Columbus Commons, the space was expected to hold between 6,000-10,000 attendees. With the whole west side grass space of the park developed, I wonder what the capacity of the park will become and how that will affect the size of concerts/events that can be held there?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It seems that time has flown by. I was reading about the permanent pavilion and it looks amazing. Does anyone have any pics of the Commons they could share?? That would be awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 546 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?